Skip to main content
Topic: SVT Formally disbanded (Read 2867 times) previous topic - next topic

SVT Formally disbanded

Well, as Ford continues its downward spiral, SVT will be no more.

http://www.planetblueoval.com/ford/legendary_svt_o_1_000632.asp

Oh well, I recently saw a GT500 in person, and it looks like  to be honest. The concept and show cars look good, but we shoulda known the actual production ones look pretty tacky. The rims look like , the hood looks like , and the deck lid just did not flow right. It was a convertable, but just didnt look right. I was somewhat dissappointed.
1988 Tbird Stock bottom end 306, Windsor Jr's, Explorer intake, 125 shot.
Best ET: 12.11 Best MPH: 113.8 1/4 mile

SVT Formally disbanded

Reply #1
Yeah, I didn't really see what all the hype about that particular Mustang was, other than it goes fast.  I think other than the GT the Ligntning was the last cool vehicle to come from them.

SVT Formally disbanded

Reply #2
Uhh the whole SVT being disbanded is old news i knew about a year ago.

SVT Formally disbanded

Reply #3
I kind of figured that this was going to happen when they "formally" announced in 04 that there would not be another SVT till 2007 but i was holding out hope that there would be.

SVT Formally disbanded

Reply #4
Not cool  :(

SVT Formally disbanded

Reply #5
Bummer.... Hey Ford...:flip: :flip:

SVT Formally disbanded

Reply #6
thats why im always saying scoop up a good 03-04 cobra while the good ones are still out there. this sucks....
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

SVT Formally disbanded

Reply #7
SVT isn't really going away. It's just being absorbed by the mainstream divisions. We'll still see some special models, like the old SVO and SHO, but not a line of models like SVT.

SVT Formally disbanded

Reply #8
I wonder if they'll still be selling SVT parts in the Ford Racing Catalogs? I still have dreams of an '03-04 cobra powered '98 LSC :D
Duckin' agents like we was trapped in da matrix!

SVT Formally disbanded

Reply #9
It's sad that when other in house performance divisions of other automakers are doing well SVT gets the ax.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

SVT Formally disbanded

Reply #10
Quote from: shame302
thats why im always saying scoop up a good 03-04 cobra while the good ones are still out there. this sucks....

Exactly, an 03-04 Cobra or Lightning look even more attractive now that we know they will be no more.

, that sucks, no more Cobra or Lightning, its hard to sink in.

SVT Formally disbanded

Reply #11
Quote from: chrome302jr
Exactly, an 03-04 Cobra or Lightning look even more attractive now that we know they will be no more.

, that sucks, no more Cobra or Lightning, its hard to sink in.

Considering the Cobra and Lightning were already gone, this should be such a shock.

SVT Formally disbanded

Reply #12
Quote from: Paul Flockhart
It's sad that when other in house performance divisions of other automakers are doing well SVT gets the ax.

Yea, seriously... I think Dodge has an SRT version of everyfreakinthing they're making right now....

SVT Formally disbanded

Reply #13
SVT was a waste of money.  Even with all their hoopla they still couldn't make a large number of performance cars. And I really think they suck for never tuning the LS, Marauder, FWD Cougar, and Taurus.

That division never earned its keep in my book.  Not to mention that XR7s, SHOs, SVOs and plenty of other hot Fords never needed SVT anyway.

Anyone remember Ford in the 1960s?  Total performance???  All models had performance built in from the start. That's the way it should be.
pro-five-oh

88 Cougar XR-7...5.0HO, T-56, and much more                             
85 Thunderbird 30th...#2471, 29k, all original and might actually stay that way

SVT Formally disbanded

Reply #14
Quote from: pro-five-oh
SVT was a waste of money.  Even with all their hoopla they still couldn't make a large number of performance cars. And I really think they suck for never tuning the LS, Marauder, FWD Cougar, and Taurus.

That division never earned its keep in my book.  Not to mention that XR7s, SHOs, SVOs and plenty of other hot Fords never needed SVT anyway.

Anyone remember Ford in the 1960s?  Total performance???  All models had performance built in from the start. That's the way it should be.

You are missing the entire point here. The point is that Ford is abandoning a performance oriented group which produced high performance vehicles. Also in case you didnt realize, we dont live in the 60's anymore, high performance v8 american muscle is slowly dying, and this seems to be Fords last dog in the american muscle fight. The late Cobra and Lightning were the some of the fastest Ford vehicles produced, period. Im talking about a serious hp machine, 12sec cars from the factory.

Now I realize that Ford could produce muscle cars, but with the passing of SVT, it shows that Ford is more concentrated on economy vehicles and trucks rather than speed. Yeah, we still have the mustang, but thats about it unless you want to shell out big bucks for a GT500 and goodluck getting one. SVT had the balls to use superchargers on V8s, something that is very rare on a production vehicle. Its not slapping on some badges, its not throwing in a 4cyl turbo, its serious HP and potential. And this seems to be a sign that Ford will no longer research high performance applications any longer. The GT500 was a let down IMHO. Weve got to compete against the C6 vette, the Zo6, GTO from GM and the host of RWD platforms that Dodge is putting the Hemi in.