Skip to main content
Topic: SVT Formally disbanded (Read 2866 times) previous topic - next topic

SVT Formally disbanded

Reply #15
Quote from: chrome302jr
Weve got to compete against the C6 vette, the Zo6, GTO from GM and the host of RWD platforms that Dodge is putting the Hemi in.

Then try doing so N/A. I think resorting to a supercharger was one of the reasons SVT fell. Saleen and Roush already do that, why doesn't ford pull a GM and build their own LS7? The SVT cobra was just a mustang with a blower. Something you see every friday at the track.

And for those who don't get what's happening here...

"March 1, 2006

Dear ,

Your letter to Mr. William Clay Ford dated February 22, 2006 was forwarded to my attention. Your note expressed concerns over rumors of the disbanding of the Ford Special Vehicle Team.

On behalf of everyone at SVT, thank you for taking the time to write and express your feelings. First, let me thank you for your loyalty to Ford Motor Company. It is great to receive notes from people like yourself that have enjoyed our products over the years and worry about the future regarding one or more of their favorite nameplates.

By any measure, the SVT F-150 Lightning has been a very successful product for Ford Motor Company. With a total of nearly 40,000 SVT F-150 Lightning trucks produced since 1993, it has been a highly successful and appreciated by our customers and, in general, is a highly regarded sport truck nameplate in the industry. While the postponement of the SVT F-150 Lightning has raised questions about the future of the Ford Special Vehicle Team, there continues to be support among members of senior management for performance vehicles. This is most evident by the introduction of the Ford GT in calendar year 2004 and the new Shelby Mustang GT500 that will be available later this year.

Regarding the Ford Special Vehicle Team specifically, SVT marketing, product planning and distribution are being incorporated into mainstream Ford-brand operations. This change, among others, was part of the recently announced companywide-restructuring plan known as the "Way Forward." Any further announcements regarding SVT programs will be communicated through our dealers and via our website, http://www.fordvehicles.com. Alternatively, feel free to contact the Ford Performance Group, at 1-866-377-8862, between 8:30 A.M. - 6:00 P.M. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday.

Thank you, once again, for your patronage and for taking the time to express your concern.

Sincerely,

/s/ Burt Diamond
Global Marketing Manager
Ford Racing Technology "

SVT Formally disbanded

Reply #16
Also in case you didnt realize, we dont live in the 60's anymore, high performance v8 american muscle is slowly dying, and this seems to be Fords last dog in the american muscle fight.

We don't live in the 60s? ;)

Performance doesn't need a division, it comes built in. Look at the Corvette Z06...the best performing car this side of $500,000 and it was engineered and made by the same people who make every other Corvette. Not only that, it is so radically different from the regular corvette, SVT hasn't made anything like that. Aside from the Cobra's independent rear (which was pretty much a Mark VIII part) SVT has done little different from what you get from Saleen, Roush or a parts catalog. But its not just about American muscle.

SVT and their bullshiznit dealer network was slow, expensive and clumsy.  They had the chance to make millions off of the Contour and Focus SVTs by beating the puppiesanese at their own game and they screwed it up.  They gotta go. Ford can make the same things (Lightning, Shelby, etc) without them if they really want to.  Most of the people who work for SVT are gonna be working on actual cars now, and you can bet things will get better.

Wait a few years for the company to stop worrying about bankruptcy and you might see products that SVT couldn't make in their dreams. 

Now if they'd only sell Jaguar off...
pro-five-oh

88 Cougar XR-7...5.0HO, T-56, and much more                             
85 Thunderbird 30th...#2471, 29k, all original and might actually stay that way

SVT Formally disbanded

Reply #17
Quote from: pro-five-oh
We don't live in the 60s? ;)

Performance doesn't need a division, it comes built in. Look at the Corvette Z06...the best performing car this side of $500,000 and it was engineered and made by the same people who make every other Corvette. Not only that, it is so radically different from the regular corvette, SVT hasn't made anything like that. Aside from the Cobra's independent rear (which was pretty much a Mark VIII part) SVT has done little different from what you get from Saleen, Roush or a parts catalog. But its not just about American muscle.

SVT and their bullshiznit dealer network was slow, expensive and clumsy.  They had the chance to make millions off of the Contour and Focus SVTs by beating the puppiesanese at their own game and they screwed it up.  They gotta go. Ford can make the same things (Lightning, Shelby, etc) without them if they really want to.  Most of the people who work for SVT are gonna be working on actual cars now, and you can bet things will get better.

Wait a few years for the company to stop worrying about bankruptcy and you might see products that SVT couldn't make in their dreams. 

Now if they'd only sell Jaguar off...

Couldn't have put it better myself. Ford doesn't need SVT to put aturbocharged engine in the Fusion (like the Mazda6) or a V8 in the Five Hundred (like the Volvo S80). The GT500 (dissapointing as it may be for some) does not need an SVT badge. And a Lightning by any other name would still be a Lightning.

No, Ford doesn't need SVT. What Ford needs is A) money and B) the will to build performance vehicles. A) is the most important right now. Ford needs to build cars that people want. The Five Hundred was a dismal flop, but the Fusion is a step in the right direction. I have seen exactly four Five Hundreds on the road since its introduction, but I seem to be tripping over Fusions everywhere I go. And the Five Hundred had a year's head start. Now, start installing those new 3.5 V6's tuned to 275-300 horses or simply swap the Mazdaspeed 6's turbo four in, and the Fusion becomes very appealing. Develop a good hybrid powertrain and the model's appeal broadens. These things are in the works, of course - it just remains to be seen whether Ford will build them before the public bores of the car - something I fear happened with the Five Hundred the day it was introduced...

And a note to Ford: Stop "dumbing down" your home market cars. Americans want cars that are reliable and fun, not "fleet specials". For a start, bring us the goded European Focus already! Selling a new car in Europe for three years while continuing to sell the old one here is inexcusable, and it's thinking like this that is making Toyota the #1 company while Ford is heading for bankruptcy...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

SVT Formally disbanded

Reply #18
Hate to say it, but Ford mod engines cannot compete with engines like the LS series engine and Hemispherical engines without a supercharger. These mod motors are junk, its the cold hard truth. Ford does not seem to what to put in the hard work and R&D to develop reliable yet powerful engines to power their vehicles. As a result, SVT took a half-assed vehicle that Ford put out and built the motor like it should have been(to a certain extent) and made it competitive with everyone else. SVT took the  that Ford put out and made it the best it could be given the fact that it is still . Is that clear enough. The standard mustang is a joke, the Cobra however is bad. Now Ford used to put out a pretty nice platform that we could work with, the 5.0 mustang foxbody for instance was a perfect performance platform and competitive for its time. The 70's was bad for everyone, the 60s and such, well, like I said, times have changed.

I liked SVT because Ford could release all the junk in the world, and atleast you knew SVT would take it and make it somewhat decent. As it stands, Ford is a bleeding pig in the auto market. Their trucks are the only thing holding them afloat. Id like to see nothing more than Ford dedicate more R&D toward efficient production of HP and a better V8 engine, possibly even OHV. But its seems that they have all but abandoned the performance market.
1988 Tbird Stock bottom end 306, Windsor Jr's, Explorer intake, 125 shot.
Best ET: 12.11 Best MPH: 113.8 1/4 mile

SVT Formally disbanded

Reply #19
Id like to see nothing more than Ford dedicate more R&D toward efficient production of HP and a better V8 engine, possibly even OHV. But its seems that they have all but abandoned the performance market.

Wait a few years, the industry is super lean right now and Ford will bounce back.  And when SVT employees filter into the leaner, meaner Ford organization, you can bet they'll be making the cars SVT did.  Except they'll be cheaper or actually worth the expense, more plentiful,available with a Mercury or Lincoln badge, and cater to everyone from musclecar, sports car, ricers, and BMW fans.
pro-five-oh

SVT Formally disbanded

Reply #20
Quote from: pro-five-oh
Wait a few years, the industry is super lean right now and Ford will bounce back.  And when SVT employees filter into the leaner, meaner Ford organization, you can bet they'll be making the cars SVT did.  Except they'll be cheaper or actually worth the expense, more plentiful,available with a Mercury or Lincoln badge, and cater to everyone from musclecar, sports car, ricers, and BMW fans.

I dont see any future mercury or lincoln vehicles being built, I mean look at what is out there now. Lincoln is in the business of luctury cars/suvs(now trucks). Mercury, I dont see anything happening there. The Zehpr? I guess we will have to settle for FWD v6 platforms in the future?

Lets face it, the mustang is Ford only RWD v8 platform to work with, unless you go with a truck. Thats very sad.
1988 Tbird Stock bottom end 306, Windsor Jr's, Explorer intake, 125 shot.
Best ET: 12.11 Best MPH: 113.8 1/4 mile

SVT Formally disbanded

Reply #21
Lets face it, the mustang is Ford only RWD v8 platform to work with, unless you go with a truck. Thats very sad.

Ford has been harshly criticized by auto enthusiasts for ignoring the recent trend back to rear-wheel-drive, but that could be about to change. Chrysler has its widly popular 300C sedan, plus the Dodge Charger and Challenger. GM has confirmed plans for a new rear-wheel-drive Chevrolet Impala, Camaro, Monte Carlo, Buick Statesman, and Pontiac GTO. Determined not to miss the RWD bandwagon, Ford is quietly working on a "rear-wheel-drive family car based on the Mustang that's coming at the end of the decade," according to the latest issue of Newsweek. The article also mentions Ford's plan to build the Fairlane minivan, which harks back to the '50s wood-paneled wagon. Moreover, the report reiterates rumors that GM is planning a Chevrolet Sting Ray — a premium version of the Pontiac Solstice.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/03/07/ford-working-on-retro-rear-wheel-drive-sedan/

SVT Formally disbanded

Reply #22
I wouldnot mind seeing the Australian falcons or maybe a 4wd focus like they have in eroupe but no Ford obviously can not make that transition. The Fairlane "van" from what i have seen is butt ulgy and will be rejected by the people that know what a REAL Fairlane was. Ford seems content on taking the old nameplates and f**king them to hell and beyond.

SVT Formally disbanded

Reply #23
Quote from: 20th anny 5.o
I wouldnot mind seeing the Australian falcons

That was also rumored.  The Falcons would come here and replace the Crown Vics, Grand Marquis, Town Cars...

All in all, its hard to tell from the rumors.  Only thing we know for a fact is that Ford's Volvo-cars (500, Montego) are only appealing to old people, thereby giving Dearborn a taste of its own medicine.
pro-five-oh

SVT Formally disbanded

Reply #24
That whole Australian Falcons idea would fall right into place with GM's Holden --> GTO thing.  Hopefully a supercharged V8 'ute', as they call them, wouldn't see such a quick death as the GTO did.

SVT Formally disbanded

Reply #25
Quote from: Ifixyawata
That whole Australian Falcons idea would fall right into place with GM's Holden --> GTO thing.  Hopefully a supercharged V8 'ute', as they call them, wouldn't see such a quick death as the GTO did.

Im not so sure about that (here we go again) the GTO was nothing more than a v8 powered Gandam/prix and I associate it as so. The only thing that they falcon comes close to looking like is maybe a mazda 6.

Falcon

Mazda 6

and is this what you are talking about with the ute Falcon Ute

SVT Formally disbanded

Reply #26
I was simply comparing the rumored importation of the Falcon to GM's brief capitalization on the Holden Monaro that became the 'flash in the pan' GTO.  Not saying Ford is going to drop a bomb on us as GM did with the GTO.

SVT Formally disbanded

Reply #27
Ok im sorry that i misunderstood, you and have you seen those XR8 Falcon sport utes i love the way those thing look, they may scream personal pickup but hell they look nice.

SVT Formally disbanded

Reply #28
I've always been SUPER jealous of the cool cars they get down under.  My one goal has been that if I ever got rich I was going to have a bunch of the Ausssie Fords imported.

SVT Formally disbanded

Reply #29
I'd like to think that if the Aussie Fords do come here they would be significantly re-styled to appeal to Americans.  Not that it bothers me much, but we all know how poorly the GTO turned out, and its a shame.
pro-five-oh