Skip to main content
Topic: I hate iPods (Read 3546 times) previous topic - next topic

I hate iPods

I just bought an iPod. Not a nano, mini, or video. A plain 20gig iPod.

Now I hook it up to my computer and some times it will charge some times it will connect and some times it sits there and acts stupid.

Now I thought maybe it was the iPod itself. I went to my sisters connected it to her computer. Wa La fine. I was like shiznit that was easy. I bring it home nothing. So I take it to work the next day and connect it to my computer at work. Bam it works.

Now I'm pissed. I have tried getting the firewire cable it didn't work the USB cable doesn't work.

Anybody have any suggestions. I getting mad enough to just sell the thing.

I hate iPods

Reply #1
If it works in two other computers but not yours I'd be inclined to think the iPod isn't the problem...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

I hate iPods

Reply #2
Only the USB 2.0 ports will charge an iPod. USB 1.1 does not charge...

I agree with Carm...you may have some bad ports or something. There's always the wall charger too. ;)

I hate iPods

Reply #3
I went into the bios and disabled the USB 2.0 controller and now it works.

WOO HOO 20gig of portable handheld music.

I hate iPods

Reply #5
Hehe - I had a 20 gig IRiver unit and the HD failed so they sent me a 40 gig as a replacement!!!

I'll never fill that thing up - though I also use it as a backup for all of my personal stuff on my PC!!
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

I hate iPods

Reply #6
I will fill it easy.
I actualy need a 60gig. But for the price i bought the 20gig.

iTunes says there is 39.89gig and like 20 some days of music in my library. What going to be hard is dwindle it down to 20gig.

I hate iPods

Reply #7
There are ways to duplicate your library into a lower bitrate, using iTunes, and then you could load that new library onto the iPod. It just depends on your current bitrates and the number of files in your library. I've got pretty much everything ripped at 192 kbps and have 3526 songs, 10.7 days, 19.99GB...on a 40GB 3rd-gen iPod there's still 18.6 GB free.

There's nothing worse than having more data than the current capacity can hold. If you have to start compromising to get all of your music onto it, you'll probably end up frustrated and want to sell it for a larger capacity model. It never ends... ;)

I hate iPods

Reply #8
And the problems continue.

I formatted the thing now all it does is show the plug and outlet on the screen. Took it to my sisters and it worked but it was linked to her library not what I wanted. So I formatted it again when I got home. And it won't do anything and the computer can't see its connected.

Any ideas.

I hate iPods

Reply #9
Use this technique, only do the steps in this order: 1, 5, 4, 3, 2: http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/five_rs/  . Also make sure you get the latest version of iTunes from Apple. Then if this doesn't fix it, and it's working computers other than your own, then the problem lies with you computer. Also make sure you are plugging the cable directly into a Usb port, not into an extension cable of any kind.
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

I hate iPods

Reply #10
I was also speculating that maybe if it's a front USB port and not an on-board it might not have as much power as it needs.

I hate iPods

Reply #11
I've tried new cables USB and firewire. I've tried all 6 USB ports. I've reinstalled the iPod softwear and iTunes with the latest from the website.

I just can't understand why it won't work right.

I have somebody else hook it up it works and installs their music. Then my computer will see it and read it. Basically the problem is that I need the softwear reistalled on the iPod and my computer will not do it.

I hate iPods

Reply #12
When I had my 5th Gen 30gig iPod, it would only charge on the computer while iTunes was updating or iPod Updater is running.

I hate iPods

Reply #13
I love my Samsung:D

I hate iPods

Reply #14
Heres the end. I went out and bought the outlet adapter. I pluged it in and it started right up. It now charges off the computer the computer does see that its there.

But everytime I format it I have to plug it into the outlet adapter.