Skip to main content
Topic: Sweet Sixteen (Read 5747 times) previous topic - next topic

Sweet Sixteen

Well, for those of you who haven't noticed, I'm only 15.  On March 7th I'll be 16, but I'll be in Colorado so I wont get my DL until about the 15th.  So anyway....check out my first car:...
By the way, before you start hatin'--I've been saving for my car since I was 10 years old, I've had a job since I turned 15, and I paid for this car WITH MY OWN MONEY.  Not a cent has gone into it from my parents, I'm NOT a moocher.  I will also be paying for insurance.  Now that thats out of the way...heres what I've done (starting with a bone stock '87 TC):

--K&N Filter Charger
--Gillis Boost Valve
--Pulled dash and painted it
--Installed Plastic Dash Cover
--New Headlight Lenses
--Painted Calipers
--17x8.5 2000 Cobra R 4-Lug Wheels
--BF Goodrich g-Force KDWS tires (245/45Z-17)

That's pretty much it for now, although I have already purchased a 351 with everything I need for the swap...I just need a T-5 and then I'll be set.  Feedback is encouraged...

Sweet Sixteen

Reply #1
nice job kid....at least your willing too research and tastefully mod the car...yourself. unless you painted the dash light blue, white bright yellow or something...then your gonna need a kick in the jock.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Sweet Sixteen

Reply #2
OMG...I have socks older than you. :D

J/k, looks KILLER dude, you've done a great job! We need more young people like yourself in this world, that's for dang sure.

Sweet Sixteen

Reply #3
Well, we'll just see about that...

Sweet Sixteen

Reply #4
sweet man...keep it up, have fun with it but be safe, have a little common sense and enjoy that car...i totally agree with eric man...too many kids out their doing the wannabe tuner/rice thing...you guys are from the same area...know each other?

~John~

Sweet Sixteen

Reply #5
thats kinda what i did 5 years ago... way to make me feel old :p i worked my ass off to get my first turbo coupe, just dont do what i did and wreck it lol

btw, nice car post some track times when ya get the chance

Sweet Sixteen

Reply #6
Great job man!  I wish my 18 year old brother had the same taste in cars as you.  Keep up the good work.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Sweet Sixteen

Reply #7
she looks sweet. you certainly have a better car than when i was 16... which was nothing, lol.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Sweet Sixteen

Reply #8
you know...it just dawned on me that i have never driven a car that is older than me....

~John~

Sweet Sixteen

Reply #9
Nice job:D  That is a pretty Turbo coupe. I bought my Thunderbird (the one in my sig) when I was 16 with my own money as well. It's my first car and I worked and payed for it myself. Hang on to it. I'm 20 and will be 21 in July and I nevr plan on getting rid of my Thunderbird. If you are able to at some point buy a beater and use the Bird for a fun car. That's what I ended up doing.

BTW I want those wheels on my Bird now:D
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Sweet Sixteen

Reply #10
Why are you putting a 351 in it? And give some rear shots with that wing. Nice work so far, be proud and don't wreck it!!

Sweet Sixteen

Reply #11
Quote from: kewlbird08
Well, for those of you who haven't noticed, I'm only 15.  On March 7th I'll be 16, but I'll be in Colorado so I wont get my DL until about the 15th.  So anyway....check out my first car:...
By the way, before you start hatin'--I've been saving for my car since I was 10 years old, I've had a job since I turned 15, and I paid for this car WITH MY OWN MONEY.  Not a cent has gone into it from my parents, I'm NOT a moocher.  I will also be paying for insurance.  Now that thats out of the way...heres what I've done (starting with a bone stock '87 TC):

--K&N Filter Charger
--Gillis Boost Valve
--Pulled dash and painted it
--Installed Plastic Dash Cover
--New Headlight Lenses
--Painted Calipers
--17x8.5 2000 Cobra R 4-Lug Wheels
--BF Goodrich g-Force KDWS tires (245/45Z-17)

That's pretty much it for now, although I have already purchased a 351 with everything I need for the swap...I just need a T-5 and then I'll be set.  Feedback is encouraged...

Hey... your copying my swap idea with a 351 and a T-5! Really though, the more the merrier. Are you going carbed, or sticking with EFI?
~1988 thunderbird~
In hibernation, waiting for spring.

Sweet Sixteen

Reply #12
nice car and happy b-day soon

Sweet Sixteen

Reply #13
If I can find a shorter air filter, I'll be going with a carbureutor.  A 650 Holley, I think...  I also have to get the motor rebuilt.  This won't be materializing until next summer anyway, once I have some driving experience. 

Why are you putting a 351 in it?

Um...why not?  There's no replacement for displacement :).

The spoiler is from a '94-'98 Mustang...I'm at school so I'll post up some pics tonight.

Sweet Sixteen

Reply #14
Quote from: kewlbird08
Um...why not?  There's no replacement for displacement :)

Yes there is, it's called boost:evilgrin: Naw, do what you want. I've been trying to shoehorn a 390 AMC in one of these for years. But with a turbo, so it will still be a TC.:flame: