Skip to main content
Topic: Sweet Sixteen (Read 5951 times) previous topic - next topic

Sweet Sixteen

Reply #15
Wow, nice score there on the TC. Good job saving that money. I'm trying to get my kids to do that but they're more interested in video games and the latest fashons. You should be proud of your accomplishment. Hell, I haven't been able to save up for some rims like that yet and I'm 40... heheh.

I would say a torquey 351 would be great in a TC. However, I wouldn't start taking it apart until I had ALL the parts. That includes conversion throttle cables, plugs, headers, engine accessories, hoses, brackets, etc... everything. Otherwise you could end up with a nice car rotting away for years in a garage or under a tarp. Cars deteriorate fast when they sit for long periods of time. A 351/T5 swap could cost 6 or 7K or more when the total is finally added up. So definetly keep driving your car while you're acspoogeulating parts. You'll end up with a nicer car in the end.

Now lets see a picture of that wing!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)

Sweet Sixteen

Reply #16
I would say a torquey 351 would be great in a TC. However, I wouldn't start taking it apart until I had ALL the parts. That includes conversion throttle cables, plugs, headers, engine accessories, hoses, brackets, etc... everything. Otherwise you could end up with a nice car rotting away for years in a garage or under a tarp. Cars deteriorate fast when they sit for long periods of time. A 351/T5 swap could cost 6 or 7K or more when the total is finally added up. So definetly keep driving your car while you're acspoogeulating parts. You'll end up with a nicer car in the end.

Actually I took the engine from a junkyard-bound '88 TC that already had the swap, so I have everything I need EXCEPT the tranny is a C4, so I need that T-5 and the pedal assembly from a Mustang.  I have thought about building up this 2.3T, Michael, but I just love the sound of a V8.  I'm still considering hooking up the turbo to my 5.8:tg:...

Sweet Sixteen

Reply #17
Great work. You have plenty of years to look forward to as you modify cars.
I bought my '86 Cougar when I was 16. I'm almost 24 and I still love these cars.
Welcome to the forums.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sweet Sixteen

Reply #18
Thanks for the welcome....  Although I have been here since March '05, I didn't start posting much until I got my bird in November.  I never plan on selling this car.  I'm looking for something to put my 2.3T in for my winter car/daily driver.

Sweet Sixteen

Reply #19
Hell ya man! I bought my first cougar when I was 15. Im 19 now and on my second cougar. I just love these cars soo much. Looks like you got one hell of a bird, she looks real good. GL on the 351. And yes, nothing beats the sound of a v8.

Sweet Sixteen

Reply #20
looking for something to put my 2.3T in for my winter car/daily driver.

I always thought an older Ranger with a 2.3T would be a pretty cool ride to have.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Sweet Sixteen

Reply #21
[qutoe]looking for something to put my 2.3T in for my winter car/daily driver.[/quote]

I think an older (before '93) would be a cool ride with a 2.3T under the hood.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Sweet Sixteen

Reply #22
I'm looking for something to put my 2.3T in for my winter car/daily driver.

I think an older (before '93) Ranger would be fun to drive with a 2.3T under the hood.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Sweet Sixteen

Reply #23
Sweet car. I got mine when I was 16 and I'm 21 now. Wow, seems like I just got it yesterday... Good lord I'm getting old fast :(

The only thing I have to say is  clean and repaint your inner fender wells. They should be black, not dirt.:giggle:
It's a pet peeve of mine and I'll be doing the ones on my car once the weather gets a bit warmer.

Sweet Sixteen

Reply #24
The only thing I have to say is clean and repaint your inner fender wells. They should be black, not dirt

Well you don't have to paint the front inner fender wells. They're a rubber liner so all you really have to do is clean them and rub some tire shine on them and presto nice shiny black front fender wells. The back wells will have to be painted though.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Sweet Sixteen

Reply #25
Yea, mine are disgusting...I couldn't even get masking tape to stick to them when I painted my calipers.  That will probably be on the agenda for spring cleaning :).

Sweet Sixteen

Reply #26
, nice car.  I'd like to see some spoiler shots myself.  Lol kida depressing when a kid 4 years younger than I am has pretty much already saved up enough to buy his car and start the project portion of it.  Lol I think I'm at the point to start my saving again though.  Welcome to the boards man.

Sweet Sixteen

Reply #27
Here's some pics of the spoiler, like I said it's from a SN95.

Sweet Sixteen

Reply #28
Oh!  And one of my py engine bay...