Skip to main content
Topic: Little advice please (Read 1140 times) previous topic - next topic

Little advice please

ok every one here is the deal i have my car gutted completly the only thing left in there is the steering column. I pulled the carpet and relized it weighed like 40 to 50 pounds i belive most of the weight is the insulation dedening . My question is if i pulled all the insulation off of the carpet and put a layer of fat mat down on the ground instead would that be good enough to quiet down the ride or is the insulation a must. I have heard real good things about fat mat my buddie says it is a good insulater as well but he only has it in his trunk so i am not to sure. I am just trying to lighten the ride a lil bit 50 sq feet of fat mat only weighs 12 pounds. Let me know what you all think is the best route to go here.  THANKS
:flip:I GOT MORE POWER NOW:flip:
:mad:..BUT I NEED EVEN MORE..:mad:

Little advice please

Reply #1
I ran a 87 TC with open 3" exhaust for over a year completely gutted. I even cut out the door frames. Didn't bother me one bit, and that was in Florida heat too. Passenger's always bitched though...

Little advice please

Reply #2
only 50 lbs.. i figured it would weigh more than that.

Little advice please

Reply #3
it might weigh more then that it was just a guesstamate i mean it is not like it was quiet before but i had the pipes exiting right in front of my rear tires and now the pipes will cut off right at the axle and it is my everyday car sometimes i got to drive it kinda far sometimes 40 to 50 miles over there then back so if i cal loose a lil wieght and keep the sound down that would be great

Little advice please

Reply #4
i sed all the tarmat up and put down dynamat extream over everything. that quieted it down alot, but i also kept the jute because im a noise freak :p but you dont need it. if you want remove the jute from the carpet and maybe go to a carpet store and buy something thinner to put under their instead if your worried, but i would deffenatly se the tarmat stuff off if you going to put another sound deadener on it, thats another like 40#s and it will also give you a chance to address any rust you may find hideing under their.

Little advice please

Reply #5
so i should get ride of the tarmat as well i sed it in the trunk and sprayed down some gravitex its like a light duty bedliner what is a good way to get it off the floor cause it sucked ripping out of the trunk

Little advice please

Reply #6
Quote from: Sprayingsmooth
what is a good way to get it off the floor cause it sucked ripping out of the trunk

hand held propane torch, heat it and pull it up.

the insulation on the carpet comes off easier if you wet it first.
(this makes a good time to clean the carpet)

i took probly close to 100lbs out of mine that way. still have to remove the crash bars from the doors.. 30-40lbs per side
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Little advice please

Reply #7
i used a heat gun and ser, came rite up. just heat for a second and wedge the ser under it. then its just heat and push, took about a night after work to do most of the inside of the car.