Skip to main content
Topic: TC front sway bars: Same bushings/links as Mustang GT? (Read 2044 times) previous topic - next topic

TC front sway bars: Same bushings/links as Mustang GT?

I'm asking this because I'm going to be re-doing the entire suspension of my car with CHE parts, but I don't see anything listed on CHE's website that are specific to TC swaybars. I want the swaybar-to-frame mounts and bushings and the end links. Are they the same as a 79-93 Mustang? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the T-Bird end links are longer, but I don't know for sure. Perhaps a 94-04 would be the same?
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #2
The swaybar to frame mounts appear to be the same as the SN95 mounts. I compared a set of the mounts from one of my TC parts cars and a set of the aluminum brackets from steeda. If I can dig out the parts (most of my parts are stashed away while my addition and garage are bring built) I can post pics if interested.
Resident "Idiot".

Formerly TBob5pt0 :shoothead

Quote from: JeremyB;165772
Repairing a lock cylinder that is frozen or sans keys requires a drill, gumption, and a midget on a tricycle.
Quote from: Big_D
Forgot to put on intake hose when starting the car, sucked neighbors cat into intake.

Reply #3
Quote from: Warbird9
I can post pics if interested.

I'm for that.
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #4
Well, guess I should have measured before I opened my mouth. Heh :hick:  The Sn-95 and TC brackets I have are close, but the mustang bracket will need a spacer to match up actually.

First pic it looks like they're a match, but the second pic you can see where the base of the bushing sits, the TC is a 1/4" higher. I'll make a spacer and put it at the right spacing.
Resident "Idiot".

Repairing a lock cylinder that is frozen or sans keys requires a drill, gumption, and a midget on a tricycle.
Forgot to put on intake hose when starting the car, sucked neighbors cat into intake.

Reply #5
wish "i" had a d bridgeport :)
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #6
TBird end-links are different.  They are shorter than the Mustang ones.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #7
That is one beautiful set of swaybar mounts!!
Matt :tg:

Reply #8
Yeah, !

I've been pondering lately if it would be worth it to reinforce the factory swaybar bushing brackets. Hmm...

Woudln't be hard, really, I'd just have to make sure I could still take em apart to get the bushing out.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #9
From the picture, it looks as though that sn95 mount would still work. Even though there is a quater inch in difference on the top of the mount, its looks as if the bottom is raised up an equal amount. If that's the case, and as long the bolt holes line up, it appears we have an upgrade for our sway bar mounts.

Reply #10
Quote from: nirvanagod
From the picture, it looks as though that sn95 mount would still work. Even though there is a quater inch in difference on the top of the mount, its looks as if the bottom is raised up an equal amount. If that's the case, and as long the bolt holes line up, it appears we have an upgrade for our sway bar mounts.

I've seen these before, and I thought the same thing about an upgrade.

I don't think that the 1/4 difference would matter at all.
One 88

Reply #11
Quote from: CougarSE
I don't think that the 1/4 difference would matter at all.

That's just it, I don't think that there is any "size" difference. It looks more like it would just physically move the bar up a 1/4" at most. Whether or not that would change the endlink mounting/positioning in a negative manner would be the question to ask at this point. Warbird9, could get another pic or 2 of perhaps a through shot of where the bushing would sit, one from each side maybe? Also if you can measure that opening on both?

Reply #12
Sorry I haven't had a chance to reply back to this sooner.

That's just it, I don't think that there is any "size" difference. It looks more like it would just physically move the bar up a 1/4" at most. Whether or not that would change the endlink mounting/positioning in a negative manner would be the question to ask at this point. Warbird9, could get another pic or 2 of perhaps a through shot of where the bushing would sit, one from each side maybe? Also if you can measure that opening on both?

Well, the "size" difference would be the quarter inch in height. Using the steeda bracket will bring the bar 1/4" closer to the frame rail. The arrows show where the bushing sits. Don't have a bushing handy to put in the pic.

I'll have to dig the brackets out to try different angles, maybe this evening sometime.:D
Resident "Idiot".

Reply #13
Then the only things I would ask now would be, do the bolt holes line up properly, and does anyone know if if the 1/4" difference would negativly affect the mounting of the endlinks to the control arms?

Reply #14
I'm guessing that the 1/4 wouldn't be noticable at all.  Hell I think my sway bar links where like a 1/4 differnce when I put them on.

If anything just use 1/4 taller endlinks.
One 88