Skip to main content
Topic: Door Lock Relays (Read 942 times) previous topic - next topic

Door Lock Relays

Well, it looks like my driver door lock relays went out cause t he passenger side works just fine.  I'm about to install an alarm and I would like to get the locks working first.  I need to know where to find the relays.  I have heard they should be under the passenger seat but after locking I found nothing.  I'm looking for these relays on an 86 3.8 with keypad.

Door Lock Relays

Reply #1
Its not a relay that is bad, it is the door lock actuator, a common problem actually. To get at the actuator you must remove the door panel, unplug the power wire, and drill out the rivet that holds the actuator hanger. I have replaced these in my Cougar and my Lincoln Mark VII. Factory Ford ones are the best, but very expensive. I usually just get a set of used Mustang ones from E-Bay and just swap the rod.

Here is a link to what you need.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979-1987-1993-MUSTANG-COBRA-GT-LX-DOOR-LOCK-ACTUATOR_W0QQitemZ8026167960QQcategoryZ33706QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Door Lock Relays

Reply #2
I agree, it's probably the actuator.
Lots of Fords from the era used the same actuators, look in the junk-yard for something similar.