Skip to main content
Topic: GM leaks Camaro concept sketches (Read 4740 times) previous topic - next topic

GM leaks Camaro concept sketches

Well, a GM employee.

Look Mom. IRS! :bowdown:

Reply #1
those things are everywhere

no one knows how "real" those images are
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #3
And they still can't get a good exhaust system under it.

I think this will be a big blow to the Mustang, and I like it. Ford needs to step back and take a look at what chevy is doing with there engiens and try the same instead of this 4.6 they call top of the line. They get stomped by a push rod engine. Come on Ford look around OHC isn't everything.

Reply #4
I do hope they make revisions to it from this concept. I see a great shape, but all the details are overly exaggerated, the mirrors are too...ghey, the rear too stubby, tail lights too squinty, nose is too...akward

im hoping that GM can refine it, and make it look more like a real car, than a concept
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #5
Hmmm, those mirror are hella ghey.  The wheels on it are huge for factory.  And factory racing buckets??  That might be cool.  I know it's just a concept, but that interior is BARREN.  There's just nothing to it.  I guess in genuine race car heritage, that is how it should be, but not for something that is supposed to be a daily driver.  All in all I think it will beinteresting to see what the final project looks like.

Reply #6
:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #7
Wow thats almost as ulgy as the next gen GTO's, Looks more like a vette than a camaro. Personally i was hoping for this one to come true.

Reply #8
Quote from: 20th anny 5.o
Wow thats almost as ulgy as the next gen GTO's, Looks more like a vette than a camaro. Personally i was hoping for this one to come true.

I liked that one better myself, but it was never a GM design. Just a Camaro fan's wet dream.

As for the next gen GTO, you would be the only person on earth who has seen it. If you have seen something, I can guarantee it didn't come from GM, but automotive speculation. There aren't even any hints as to the new GTO design direction. Just that it will be edgier.

Come on guys. It's a preliminary design sketch. You can tell that they hadn't even decided on a design at that point, since there are clearly two different interpretations shown. Look at the left side vs. the right. They are two different shapes, from the bottom of the front facia to the rear deck lid. And those mirrors would never make production, so I'd ignore them alltogether.

I guess we'll see in a month. :)

Reply #9
I like the grill. xD
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #10
Quote from: slamedcat
And they still can't get a good exhaust system under it.

I think this will be a big blow to the Mustang, and I like it. Ford needs to step back and take a look at what chevy is doing with there engiens and try the same instead of this 4.6 they call top of the line. They get stomped by a push rod engine. Come on Ford look around OHC isn't everything.

I dunno about that. The 4.6 is only just starting to come into its own. 300 horses N/A isn't bad for a 3-valve 281 CI engine, and the Cobra's underrated 390 horses ain't too shabby either, supercharged or not. Then there's the underrated 550 horses from the GT's 5.4. And the 450+ horses in the upcoming Shelby GT500. The modular engine family has loads of potential, and that potential is only just starting to be realized. This engine family has come a long, long way from the 190-horse Town Car engine of the early 90's and the 215 horse Mustang engine of the mid 90's.

Just think - in a few years the BASE Mustang will have a 250-horse V6. That is 25 horses more than were available to the beloved 5.0 (and a full 100 horses more than our 5.0 'Birds and Cougars), and only 10 short of the 99-04 GT. The GT now has 300 horses, almost as many as the top-of-the-line Cobra of a few years ago. And the last 390-horse Cobra had power never even heard of before in a stock Mustang. And hopefully in a few years GM and Chrysler will have comparable cars for sale.

Yes, the LS6 makes 400 horses, but the LS6 is also 6.0 liters. Yes, the LS7 makes 500 horses, but that LS7 is also 7.0 liters. GM makes horsepower with old school tech and cubic inches, Ford makes it with technology and supercharging. There is nothing wrong with either approach. The end result is that the horsepower war is far from over, the so-called glory days of muscle cars are only just beginning, and car enthusiasts, regardless of their brand loyalty, have some very compelling choices right now.

I always laugh at the whiners on both sides. Ford guys whine about GM's cubic inch advantage, GM guys whine about Ford's use of superchargers. Nobody seems to notice that both sides (and now Chrysler too) are producing the most exciting cars in 40 years.

As for that Camaro concept - love it. Anything that keeps the Mustang on its toes and the pony car segment relevant in general is a good thing. Who knows - now that the domestics are actually going to be producing interesting cars, maybe they'll get some market share back...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #11
while by no means am I a GM fan, I'd like to see a new Camaro.
I wasn't around in the 60's and 70's for the first pony car war, so I can't wait to see this one!
Hope it turns out better than the last gen. of camaro, too.
Too bad Daimler/Chrysler has their collective headsa up their collective asses about the new Charger....
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #12
Ya but you proved my point they make comparable HP, Ford with the super charger and GM with cubes. Now if one of them would get off their ass and compine the two.

Or how about ford get something bigger than the 5.4 then PUT IT IN A CAR, or GM use a DOHC LS6 or LS7.

Im just sick of Ford vs. GM vs. Chrysler. It seams that in the last 30 years or so the price of power has gone through the roof and the average person can't afford it. It needs to be foreign vs. Domestic. Who cares if the guy next door has a $200,000 porsche with leather and gps and all that stuff. Its nice but what if you can get that in a Domestic with an 1/8 of the price tag.

What happend to walking into the dealer and walking out with a big block 4 speed 2 door for $5000. Now you walk in sign over an arm, leg and your first born for any new car thats worth a . And buying used just isn't an option any more they want the same for a use car as a new one.

I purcahse an 01 Focus in 03 $10,000. Fully loaded except for the sun roof and it had a 5 speed. Dealer tells me it had their 100 point inspection BS. 3 month later the trany loses 3rd gear, talk to the service people, they tell me its a common problem and there is no recall. Now why don't I just go buy a Honda.

Sold the car for what was left on the load and lost $2000 in performance parts I put on the thing just to get rid of the car. Bought my 88 Cougar hasn't left me on the side of the road yet.

Focus=36,000mi
Cougar=198,000mi

Focus=$10,000
Cougar=$1,500

Bottom line they need to see not everyone can afforg the cars they build and quite crying when profits are down and everyone is driving a Honda or Toyota.

I will step down from my soap box and had the mic to the next person in line now.

Reply #13
I dunno, $25k for a 300 horse Mustang, $35k for a 350-horse Charger - those are bargains in today's market. Consider that a V6 honda Accord costs considerably more than a Mustang GT and not much less than a Hemi Charger or 300C. What happened to the $5k big block muscle car? The same thing that happened to 25 cents/gal gas, 5 cent movie admission, 10 cent chocloate bars, $25k houses,  etc. It's called inflation.

As for enormous engines in regular cars - don't count on it. North America just had a huge wake up call when it comes to gasoline (and the wake up call is not over - gas here just went back up to a buck a liter from 87.9 cents/liter with absolutely no reason given other than that the oil companies want the money). Car ads are now talking MPG instead of HP again. SUV and pickup sales are tanking. People are buying things as ridiculous looking as the Smart Car because it gets 60 MPG. In short: People are suddenly skittish about fuel economy again. The psychological damage that $3.50/gallon gasoline did will last longer than the actual $3.50 gasoline did.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #14
Yes but the Honda you speak of will last longer than that Mustang GT or any other Domestic built product. As for inflation take a look at what a new chevy truck costs to make and how much it sells for. You are looking at a 200% profit. What do you think they are turning on the new mustnag for profit.

And by all means I don't think it costs $14,000. And probably 1k -2k of that is to pay the guys on the line to put it together. Another 2k for the engineers and all the pencil pushers.

Thats right around $10,000 for profit. Lets just say that inflation has gone up that much that your pinto of the 70's that cost 6K jumped to 10K during the 80's then to 14K in the 00's. Wheres my compensation for inflation.