Skip to main content
Topic: My first non-Ford in over a decade: (Read 7589 times) previous topic - next topic

My first non-Ford in over a decade:

Reply #30
OK, I realize this isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but I thought it funny and it's the first time I've ever personally seen it:

The 318 has a 1-barrel carb. Never seen a 1-barrel carb on a V8 before. Oh, I'm sure it happened plenty of times.. but it's the first time I've seen it up close and personal-like.

Even if I keep the 318 with a rebuild in its future, I think the 1-barrel will have to go. :p

Reply #31
i like the baby moons thats the first thing i noticed

Reply #32
My uncle put some good tires and wheels on it. There's a few tiny rust spots on the smoothies, (looked on Summit for matching wheels, that's what looked the most like what's on there) but they're overall in great shape. The tires themselves are in pretty good shape, and he estimated they probably have another 30k miles left on them, so I won't argue with his estimates. I think they were 255/70R15s.. don't feel like going out to check. :p Anyway, they just happened to be really dirty when I drove the car home. They're a lot better off than they look in the first few pics, and even in that last one.. where I just grabbed a dirty rag and wiped 'em down with Armor-All Low-Gloss.

Reply #33
I never seen a one barrel on a V8.  You gotta snasp some piics of that!
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #34
Um ben that should be a two barrel carb. Autozone.com doesn't list a 1 barrel. If its anything like a rochester two barrel it is perfectly round, unlike a motorcraft two barrel wich looks like it has two barrels.  Only the leaning tower of power got a 1 barrel.
One 88

Reply #35
Anyone happen to know offhand what, if anything, Dodge's version of an EVTM is called? I've got seven vacuum lines loose under the dash at a plug that disintegrated. Might as well try to get literature on this truck for cases like this. Probably pick up a Haynes as well.

Giving it a bit of a cleaning up today. Sprayed this funky spray penetrating grease (got it from my uncle.. supposedly industrial-strength stuff.. comes in a red can with a black cap) into all the door and tailgate and hood mechanisms. Noticeably easier to latch the doors now, and the hood takes about a third of the effort to open as it did before. Even the hood release cable moves much easier.

Might put the LED driving lights on it today, too.

Reply #36
But did you double check what kinda carb you have?
One 88

Reply #37
Not yet. :p Every time I go out to look, (and I need a step ladder half the time) I get sidetracked with other stuff.

My woman just got a job at Starbucks, so she's been bringing home these evil drinks with double-shots of espresso in 'em, and I've been like this since yesterday: http://ualuealuealeuale.ytmnd.com/ :p Can't focus on anything for long until I come down from the caffeine buzz. :p

Reply #38
It should be a two-barrel, as CougarSE says. If you were to remove it from the intake you'd be able to see the two venturiis from underneath - from the top it simply has a single, round choke plate. Heck, IIRC you should be able to look into the opening and see the two venturiis.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #39
Now that I have a Haynes for it, (just got back from AutoHole) I can see the exploded views of the carb. Yeah, it's a 2-barrel. Not going up there to look, though.. my step ladder is too rickety for me to be that high up on it. :p

Guess there's a 4-barrel and new manifold in my future. :p

Reply #40
hell, you can tell by the width...... 2 barrel carbs tak up less space than 4 barrel carbs
it most likly has a 2 barrel.........seeing how its mainly stock and dodge put 2 barrels on them....
I.E.
2 barrel

4 barrel

save you some money....... stick with the two

[note] my uncle owns one of these! [/note]

Reply #41
After a brief interlude to put new plugs in my mom's ZX2, got back to work on the truck. Put the LED driving lights on it, but haven't run the wiring yet. Painting the light gray non-chrome surfaces on the headlight surrounds in Dupli-Color TV&SUV T414 Storm Gray Metallic. Think it'll look good.. it's about the same as gunmetal. Should have some pics tomorrow.

Reply #42
Preview pic: Left surround is untouched.. still has the argent-like faded gray intact. Right surround has had 2 coats of Storm Gray Metallic and 2 coats of 500 degree clearcoat. Should get much better pics in daylight.. this camera sux.

Reply #43
looks good....... keep up the good work.....

Reply #44
I would stick with that 2 barrel.  Who makes it though.  Is it a thermaquade variant or is it made by rochester?  I know the 4 barrels those trucks had were quadrajets not thermaquads, only in the 80's though.
One 88