Skip to main content
Topic: My first non-Ford in over a decade: (Read 7773 times) previous topic - next topic

My first non-Ford in over a decade:

Reply #45
its a carter carb

Reply #46
Quote from: 87thunderbirdBlackJack
its a carter carb
Then it should be a good one right.  Working at autozone I never had anyone come in to replace one.
One 88

Reply #47
yeah they're like the 318 lol bullet proof .......but you can burn the  out of one (we rebuilt this one over here because of running rich and catching fire)

https://www.rockauto.com/

Reply #48
Painted the headlight surrounds and hooked up the driving lights:

Reply #49
Couldn't resist attempting a night shot to show off Carmen's work. As always, my digital camera sucks cbuttstuff water.

(someone, and I'm not gonna say who, forgot to put the male connectors on the lights, where they plug into the harness.. fortunately I had a few left) :p

Unfortunately, for the way I have them now and what I have them on, they don't do much good while driving. You can't even tell they're on when the headlights are on, at least from the cab. I think if I had them mounted under the bumper instead of in the holes the original fog lights were mounted with, I'd probably see more of the light on the ground. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the light distribution limitations of LEDs vs. normal lights. I know I had at least one person flash their brights at me for having them on along with the low beams.. which we had just aimed downward a bit. Any issues here are my fault for reusing the old mounting location.. maybe in a few days when I'm bored I'll try them under the bumper. Anyway, if you're considering buying some of Carmen's lights, I would recommend them.

Already had one guy ask me how much I wanted for the truck.. heh.

Reply #50
OK, here's the part where I make some people cringe. (more than usual)

I decided I would be doing some painting on the engine soon, since I had to pull the valve covers and chase down some oil leaks. I already have a blue engine, a black engine, and a red engine.. all Fords.. so I wanted the Dodge engine to stand out from the rest just a little bit more.

Asked my fiance to come along with me and help me pick out an engine color from all the 500 degree paints at AutoHole. She nabbed plum purple. OK, a little odd, but I can deal with it.

Now it has me wondering if, when it comes time to paint this truck again, maybe I should really fix it up nice and then paint it Plum Crazy Purple. Same wheels and tires, (smoothies and RWL tires) no change in ride height, no other external changes except maybe tinting the windows with a basic black/dark charcoal tint like I have on my Lincoln. I mean, I like light blue and all, but three of my vehicles are light blue.. and the ones that aren't won't be around much longer.. and it's not like Plum Crazy Purple is a totally random color to put on a Dodge.. :p

Anyway, here's the first lil' bit of purple. For now, the engine will probably just get this paint on the air cleaner and the valve covers.

Reply #51
How's the wind-noise? My grandfather owns an '87 W100 and it is ridiculously noisy on the interstate.

Does the A/C work?

Your engine bay has some Pleasantville action going on.

Reply #52
A/C is intact but non-functional. My uncle doesn't remember what they said was wrong with it when he had someone look at it, just that they wanted a lot of money to fix it. (surprise surprise) I have a few months before I have to worry about fixing it.

Wind noise is significant but not unbearable on the highway. Hell, I drove it home 130 miles with no working radio (fixing that problem this week) and didn't kill a single person from noise-induced insanity. :p Makes a lot of noise around the backs of the doors.. could need new weatherstripping.

Reply #53
Quote from: Bird351
Makes a lot of noise around the backs of the doors.. could need new weatherstripping.

The newer vehicles usually also have a second piece of weatherstriping near the edges of the doors, that greatly cuts down on noise... You can get some stick on weatherstrip material at Lowes or Home Depot...

Reply #54
Better than that cheap square stuff you can get in rolls at Wal-Mart? (I hope) If it's a lot better, I might just go pick some up. That cheap stuff doesn't stick worth a .

Reply #55
Quote from: Bird351
Better than that cheap square stuff you can get in rolls at Wal-Mart? (I hope) If it's a lot better, I might just go pick some up. That cheap stuff doesn't stick worth a .

Dunno if its any better, but I would think it would stick as long as the door is clean and dry...

Reply #56
yeah dude, thats a great truck..... very powerful when you get a little money involved......

on the paintjob theme you have there plum crazy purple would look crazy if you painted the cab roof a flat vynil looking black and put some ralley rims on it

Reply #57
"rims"? You trying to give Chuck a heart attack? (if he ever reads this) :p

Reply #58
heh, nah man.....
(chuck keels over)

........:-P

Reply #59
So these would be the infamous Slowmasters, huh? (or a cheap imitation thereof?) Would explain why this truck is so loud when I step on it, I guess. Not crazy about this exhaust setup, since the two pipes are so close together I don't think I can hack in a cheap generic H-pipe kit.

Also threw in a shot of the cleaned-up tires and wheels, since in this shot you can see my '89 LSC in the reflection on the wheel. :p