Skip to main content
Topic: My first non-Ford in over a decade: (Read 7582 times) previous topic - next topic

My first non-Ford in over a decade:

Inherited this from my grandfather.. although my uncle had been using it for the past 9 years, hence the un-grandfather-like wheels and such.

'85 Ram D100.. 318 w/ 3-speed slushbox.

What is it with me and light blue vehicles?!

Reply #1
Not a big fan of those deflectors, but it's in really good shape. Nice score............. under the cirspoogestances.

Reply #3
do it have good old 318 in it :)

Reply #4
I'll be taking the bug deflector off today.

Reply #5
OK, so I know jack and shiznit about Dodge engines, transmissions, etc... but from what poking around I did last night, it *might* be possible to give this thing a 5.9L Magnum (360) and a 4-speed slushbox. The 318 in it now is kinda tired.. leaks some oil and water.. and I wouldn't mind ditching the carbed setup in favor of EFI from a later truck, if that's also possible. Anyway, if I were able to secure an entire wrecked (from behind, I would hope) newer Ram and pull all the relevant guts from it, my thinking is that I could clean that up.. swap over.. and then clean up the 318 as a spare engine. (my grandmother's van also has a 318 in it, similar age) Respectable but not outrageous setup, I would tend to think.. IF it's possible.

Primary projects are still the Fox-bodies, though. Have to unload the '88 T-bird now because the yard's too full of vehicles.. and I still don't know what I'm going to do with the '88 Mark. I'd still like to see someone make a decent car out of it.. but it's looking more and more like it'll end up as spare parts for the '89.. and probably stripped (with the parts put into storage) and hauled off.

Reply #6
Those old Dodges are tough dudes.  Good luck with it.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #7
Already got the bug shield and the non-functioning fog lights off of there. Looks much better.

Reply #8
You know, carbed 318's are extremelly reliable, and very easy on fuel. My brother had one in a 74' (ish) Tradesman 200, and he put it in a powerslide with two dead holes.

Reply #9
Well, it would at least leave the option of propane conversion open.. :p

Reply #10
Hmm I would just keep it clean and drive it.
One 88

Reply #11
Going to need a rebuild at some point. That's what I'm generally planning around. Driving it as-is for some time to come, barring any major mishaps.. but I like to plan ahead.

Now with the LSC and this truck, I can take one or the other off the road if something does go wrong with either.

Reply #12
Quote from: oldraven
You know, carbed 318's are extremelly reliable, and very easy on fuel. My brother had one in a 74' (ish) Tradesman 200, and he put it in a powerslide with two dead holes.

dude...my uncle has a 74 dodge D200 with the 318 and the 747 transmission  dana 60 with 4.10 and friggin big tires.............thos 318's when wored over right can kill anything just think my uncles truck only has had a valvejob, a new cam, and has been punched over .30          it would run 13-14 if the truck wouldnt fall apart.....
and it only has a 2 barrel

Reply #13
I *think* that the 318 had efi in the form of the 5.2 magnum. You could put a 5.9 magnum (360) in if ya want. I think that the 318 and 360 are differnt (ie 302 is slightly different that a 351 in deck height) though so you'll probibly need the parts from a 5.2 to make your 318 efi. Or if ya had some money to blow ya could just get a 440 Six Pack:D
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #14
318 and 360 are the same block...should be able to swap
'83 Cougar *the never ending project* warmed over 306 v8,c4,8.8 posi with 5 lug conversion
'91 mustang strictly street-in progress
'00 f150 7700-Mean Green: jet stage 1 chip,ported upper intake with 1" spacer,'04 Super Duty intake with injectors,summit racing short tube headers with true 2.5" duals with smithy's glasspacks!