Skip to main content
Topic: Springs front end 2 high (Read 6043 times) previous topic - next topic

Springs front end 2 high

I went 2 get front brakes done and my spring popped out. I have gone to this mechanic forever. When i went to pick the car up today the front end was sitting way up high. My rear end has 2.5 inches between the top of the wheel and the wheel well, the front now has 4.5 inches, the front is sitting just over 2 inches higher than the rear. He says its the right spring and 2 give it a week to see if they settle down?????? the last time i had springs done they looked fine as soon as they were installed. Did my mechanic mess up?? I believe i counted 9 coils in the springs.

But as the front end is, it looks like , way too high. He said we might have to cut some coiles off the spring? And of course ford doesnot carry the factory spring any longer??

Does anybody have any part numbers of the correct springs for any aftermarket brands or know how many coils there are suppose to be in the springs.

And how much clearance is there suppose to be on the front end between the tire and wheel well on an 88 sport modle?? I thought it was the same at the rear 2.5 inches

Thanks
Jeff

Re: Springs front end 2 high

Reply #1
He said we might have to cut some coiles off the spring?

no real mechanic would ever suggest this.

so you have a sport.... the rear sounds okay. there shouldnt be that much of a differance. he could have used the wrong spring i guess. are they seating properly? got any pics?
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #2
the spring may not be sitting in the control arm correctly. the end of the coil may need to be rotated into place, that would lift the front over an inch. and depending on the new spring isolators they may also lift it up some

Reply #3
It is an 88 sport modle. I trust my mechanic somewhat, the springs do seem to be in correctly. I got the part # off him and it ended in 8658, this site says the factory ones as CS8658 for the sport modle, perhaps the generic company messed up on the springs delivered in the box?

If i were to go aftermarket and lower the car a bit, what would be a good choice without haveing to do the rears as well??

Jeff

Reply #4
how did the spring pop out if he was doing brakes?
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #5
Here are the pics of my problem

Reply #6
When he put the car on the hoist and the suspension rested the sping was broke in 2 and was twisting out of its resting spot, i saw it, it had 2 come out.

Reply #7
DUde!! wtf! is he going to fix it?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #8
He said to give it a few days to see if it settles, the he suggested cutting them down to the right height. He still says it was the right part from the supplyer.

Reply #9
I bet you had a low sagging problem in the front to begin with and just found out when it fell into two.  It might settle a little, but I'd bet you're back at about stock height.  I would NEVER cut those springs, you're just asking for lots of problems.  I would bet you're going to have to look for some new lowering springs to bring it back to where it was before.
Willpower is no match for Horsepower.

Reply #10
Well currently i have a 4 5/8 inch gap between the top of the wheel well and the tire. I had the springs done on my old 88 tbird sport and dont remember this kind of height. My mechanic did mention hed had trouble getting them in, something dont smell right.

Reply #11
personally, i think they arnt sitting in the cups properly

my 3.8L sits like a truck, and it doesnt sit that high
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #12
I had ordered the TRW CS8658's but the order got cancelled due to some sort of warehouse fire at the spring manufacturer.  I ended up putting in CS8606's and don't have a problem with it.

Look in the bottom cup and the end of the spring should be just before a drilled hole that is used as a marker.  This leaves a gap from the spring end to the risen edge of the coil spring cup.

Other than that, I certainly would NOT have him cut the coil down.

V6->V8HO 88 LS
5.0L V8 87 XR7

Reply #13
DONT CUT THE SPRING!! The load weight gets all jibbered up when you do and the car rides like $hit. the spring looks to long, I dont remember my front coils bowing out like that when its in the air.

Reply #14
Quote from: greg wys
DONT CUT THE SPRING!! The load weight gets all jibbered up when you do and the car rides like $hit. the spring looks to long, I dont remember my front coils bowing out like that when its in the air.

I took the pic of the spring on the ground when its compressed, and it looks long to me.

Jeff