Skip to main content
Topic: The rusty old game changer. (Read 3968 times) previous topic - next topic

The rusty old game changer.

So, let me tell you all a story.

I'm a local undercar tech at a small shop in a small iowa town.  i know the customers by name, they know me, its all good.

Old boy comes in today and says "didnt i see you drive an old red Tbird last week?"

Yes, yes i was.

"do you want another?  you can have it for free, it just needs gone by the weekend!"

Ummm....  sure?  can I swing out over my lunch?

Old boy pulls the title out of his back pocket "sure, but its yours now" and hands me the paperwork and walks away.

So i take my lunch break and drive across town to where the old boy has some storage sheds, to see what I had just gotten myself into. Here's what i found.

I think it's safe to assume two things, the car has not moved in a while, and the body is complete junk.

However, there are some redeeming attributes

The car is a 302 car.  ( the transmission is completely removed)
The car has the same color interior as my Tbird, and the seats and console are much better.
The car is free.

Old boy thought it was a 5 lug car, i havent pulled a hubcab to verify.  I will once its on the trailer this weekend.

So, my plan to pluck the 3.8 out of my car just got a lot easier.  Tell me, oh wise ones,  what all do i need to salvage from this car before shipping it off to the s yard?  whats all of value for my swap?

Reply #1
No way it's 5 lug. Looks like 14" steelies and 14" rims won't clear 11" brakes.

Keep the head lights and tail lights. Plastic stuff from the interior as well. The little seat belt catches become brittle and break, as do the turn signals and dash panels. If it was a floor shift, those can be sold for an okay profit on the forums.

That car is gone though. Looks like damiacs when he pulled it out.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
WOW!!  Time to start pulling anything and everything that looks decent - interior parts, trim parts, switches, small motors (if you have a way to test them), outside mirrors and trims.  Just trying to think of the things that I see get snapped up pretty quickly on forums and ebay.  I'd even consider the glass and window trims if you have a place to store them.  They're getting harder to come by all the time :(
1986 Mercury Cougar XR-7 Turbo-charged 5-speed.
Owned 22 years.

Reply #3
Poor ole car...god, I hope the rats n mice ain't turned it into the Rodent Hilton and ruined all of the cloth interior stuff...
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #4
Quote from: Haystack;460400
No way it's 5 lug. Looks like 14" steelies and 14" rims won't clear 11" brakes.
Yep other than the Lincolns, '84-'86 SVO, & '93 Cobra Stangs, no fox chassis came with five lug... Even us Turbo Coupe owners have to swap or live with four lug...

Reply #5
The Cobra was 4 lug, Cobra R as 5 lug...'93 Cobra cars only. ;)
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #6
Pull the EEC, EEC harness and associated harnesses for the 5.0 swap.  I would advertise it in the for sale forum and see what all people on here need and just tell them to make you an offer and they pay shipping.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #7
Unbroken 87-88 header panels are getting tough to find too.

I parted out an anniversary edition that looked like that. I couldn't even jack it up it was so rusty. I tried two places and the jack broke through both places, lol.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #8
yeah, i will totally agree, its too far gone ot even consider saving.  a dang shame, too.

i intend to keep the 5.0, all assorted wiring, brackets, and ECM for my current project ( although i think im going to run carbed).  if it has an 8.8, even if it's a 4 lug 8.8, i will probably keep that as well.  the interior looks better than my car does, so i plan on keepingthe buckets and console and other assorted parts like that ( its the same shade of red as my 87 Tbird).

I'll unbolt that header panel if it passes inspection when i get it up on the trailer.  i'll give you all pics to update the process.

Reply #9
It *might* have an 8.8, but just as sure as there's shiznit in a cat, that car is 4 lug. IF, and that's a big ole "if", it's an 8.8, it would be one to hang onto because it will have the ten inch drum brake rear, rather than the nine inch drums. The ten inchers will have smooth drums...the 9 inch drums will be finned.....
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #10
if window trim, headlights/taillights, emblems, mirrors, glass etc are good save them does it have a good condition autolamp rearview mirror im in desperate need of one and i could prob use those chrome side view mirrors
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird
other cars that don't apply to this forum

Reply #11
Some of the '88 5.0 had 8.8", never seen one in a '87...

Reply #12
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;460432
Some of the '88 5.0 had 8.8", never seen one in a '87...

this car is an 88.  the car is home, but still on the trailer, i'll find out what all i have once i get it unloaded.

the big bad news....  mide decidedto chomp right through the main engine harness.  not just a little bit, either.  I havent dug in yet, but it's not looking good.

Reply #13
Quote from: Moonmount;460429
does it have a good condition autolamp rearview mirror im in desperate need of one and i could prob use those chrome side view mirrors

I'll nab the mirrors off for you, i have no need for them, i will check on the auto lamp rear view for you.

Reply #14
thank you man appreciate it
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird
other cars that don't apply to this forum