Skip to main content
Topic: The rusty old game changer. (Read 3832 times) previous topic - next topic

The rusty old game changer.

Reply #15
so, im finally getting to getting this car in short pieces.  the body and front stub are absolute rust.  i was scared to get under the car to undo the engine mounts.  but the 302 has been extracted.  the engine doesnt spin, so im going to rob it of all the accessories, and i do believe its a roller cam engine, so im going to nab the dogbones and spider out for another 302 build. 

The engine harness was an all you can eat buffet for the mice.  im not sure if i should attempt to keep it or not.

are the swaybars any better ( bigger) than my 87 Tbird with a 3.8?  are they worth torching the brackets and setting them off to the side?  or am i better off looking for different swaybars?

I also still need to gut the interior, grab a few other odds  and ends off the car, but i hope to have this thing on the trailer by Sunday night.

Reply #16
If the face hubcaps aren't in too bad of shape, i wouldn't mind one. My 83 someone took a tire iron to it trying to get them off and bent up the metal where the plastic cap pops out and the allen bolt sits inside.

The swap bars might be alittle bit bigger with the v-8. Some of the earlier 3.8's didnt even have swap bars. Car should also have a double hump cross member and the tail pipe mounts for dual exhaust.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #17
i'll inspect em and set one aside for you if they are decent.

will the AC parts from my 3.8 car be fine when i put a 302 in, or do i need to grab some special parts from this one?

Reply #18
3.8 and 5.0 accessory brackets are different I believe.  I would either use a TC front sway bar and a Fox Mustang V8 car rear sway bar or order ADDCO front and rear sway bars. Sway bars are like springs though and they do wear out due to cyclical fatigue.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #19
Those side view mirrors in good shape?
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird
other cars that don't apply to this forum

Reply #20
Quote from: Moonmount;462006
Those side view mirrors in good shape?

you already asked, and once i get em off, i will nab pics for you. :)