Skip to main content
Topic: do you have ? (Read 1963 times) previous topic - next topic

do you have ?

hey im pretty well a newbie here this is my second post ....i was woundering if any one might know were i could find the specs for a 1988 thunderbird 5.0 

thanks

Z
hunting for another 87-88 bird
If it's got tits or tires its gunna cost you money !

Re: do you have ?

Reply #1
What specs are you looking for? If it's horsepower, prepare for disappointment: 155 horses from the "mighty" 5.0, 265 lb-ft of torque.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #3
yeah what kinda specs? also the t-bird and cougar are identical almost save for the back windows.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #5
Quote from: Haystack
yeah what kinda specs? also the t-bird and cougar are identical almost save for the back windows.

I have always wondered something... are the cougar 1/4 windows t-bird windows upside down?  they look like they could be... shape wise

Reply #6
I have always wondered something... are the cougar 1/4 windows t-bird windows upside down? they look like they could be... shape wise

no
One 88

Reply #7
i was looking for rear end gears ,rear end size , options , top speed that kind of thing

Z

Reply #8
2.73 or 3.08 gears, 7.5" rear end with an open carrier as standard, traction-lock as optional (Sport models have it standard), in '88 I think power windows, locks, and A/C were standard on 5.0 cars and optional on V6 models, virtually everything else was optional. Top speed is either 110 mph (180 km/hr) if you're lucky enough to have a speed limited model (most 88's are), or upwards of 140 if non speed limited. As Funky Cricket says, check out http://www.coolcats.net - what's good for Cougars is good for T-Birds for the most part...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #9
another queston for you how good is my tranny are they really weak and how much power can they handle ? (automatic w/OD)

P.s does any have a good idea how to break the news to your parents that you bought a hundred dollar t-bird

should I :

A: just bring it home and tell them i stumbled apon the car for $100
B:tell them im going to look at a car
c:say its a shop project for school in the fall ( im only in grade 12 )
or
D: your on your own buddy  and i dont wanna hear your wineing

my dad is very stricked i figure his comment will be " why did you buy this p.o.s and get it the f*** off my property before i sell it

Reply #10
A: just bring it home and tell them i stumbled apon the car for $100

Tell them it was cheap and you know where to get good cheap parts for it. And you know where to get help working on it.

Reply #11
thats what i was thinking and  my uncle owns a auto wreckers (5.0 HO :deal: )

Reply #12
Don't forget to tell them your insurance will be cheaper than if you would have bought lets say a Mustang, Camero,.....

Reply #13
i wounder if my dad will trade me my motor outta the bird for the one in his capri  probly not 60,000k on the capri and 303,000 on the bird both 5.0  maybe i should build the bird better than his car ?
anyone ever use GT-40 intake on a bird ?  anyone know if cowl hoods are avalible for birds ?

Z

Reply #14
Anything that fits a mustang engine will fit yours.
The hood you get 3 choices with the birds. Stock, TC, Cowl