Skip to main content

Poll

Which is a better build platform for a daily driver and a weekend warrior?

Total Members Voted: 13

Topic: More potential? 88 tbird turbo coupe or 87 cougar 5.0 anniversary (Read 4380 times) previous topic - next topic

More potential? 88 tbird turbo coupe or 87 cougar 5.0 anniversary

Which is a better platform for a fast budget builder, an 87 cougar 5.0 20th anniversary edition or 88 tbird automatic turbo coupe? Both cars are $500, and both cars run and drive. I am hoping to build something for daily driving, take to the strip, car shows, random light to lights, and random roll and goes. Anyone have advice and/or opinions? I'm not expecting huge power, maybe build to 350 hp for now and 500 hp later

Reply #1
If the TC is an auto, I pick the 5.0.
Mike

Reply #2
I'm honestly trying to figure out a way I can get both. I am leaning towards the turbo coupe, since it is going to sell faster in my area and the cougar has some electrical issues that I can't afford to fix right away.

Reply #3
5.0 would be easier to upgrade by scouring Craigslist and junkyards for mustang or explorer parts (imho).
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #4
I hate that I have to pick! I love both cars! They did an amazing job pulling power out of the 2.3 and it has so muh mor potential than what Ford got out of it, but a 5.0 is a 5.0 and has so much backing. I honestly hope I am able to get both.

Reply #5
I would take the 5.0 hands down. Good inexpensive, reliable power with the right parts. As 50tbrd88 points out, Craigslist is awash with parts to make it go. Use the "Adhuntr" or "All of Craigslist" search engines and you will see what we mean. If you want to go bigger, you have a better foundation for a 351W based stroker swap.
1986 Thunderbird Elan 5.0 EFI AOD, 3.73:1 SN95 rear, 17" Mustang Bullitts w/Firestone WO Indy 500's. Future plan: 349 stroker, C9 block, forged dish pistons, Scat 9000 crank, 4340 I beam rods, ARP head/main studs, ported explorer intake, 1.72 CC RR, Vortech V2 supercharger, Mr. Freeze Meth Inj, intercooler, TFS 190 11R CNC heads (66CC), BBK shorties with 2.5" duals, 4R70W Transmission, Taurus fan.

Reply #6
Either one can be made fast. I'd personally go with a 302, but there's tons of guys going fast cheap on the Lil turbo too. Whichever one you are more comfortable with would be my pick.

The tc can also be swapped to a 302...
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #7
That's a tough choice.  I'd go turbo coupe and swap in a 5 speed...  the auto can't hold much power and is not readily upgradeable.  I like the TC's interior (I prefer buttstuffog and floor shift) and suspension/brakes.  I also love the turbo whistle and decent power/mileage you can get with a few smart upgrades.  I like the rarity of the Cougar and love the light sand beige seat color and emblems of the Cat.

Reply #8
I'd go with the TC just because it's already got all the good stuff: bigger front brakes, rear disc brakes, 8.8" rear with 3.73 gears and traction lock, better handling, etc. The turbo 4 and automatic would be ditched for a 5.0/5-speed combo.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #9
Mechanicals can all be swapped. I'd pick the one in the best shape. It gives you a solid base to start from, and if you want to change something, it's pretty easy on these cars.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #10
Well the turbo coupe is in almost perfect condition, the cougar on the other hand needs the electronic dash fixed and it has a short in the tail lights it also has rust on the rear quarter panel and needs new rocker panels. The cougar is in project car status while the tc is in daily driver status. I'm in love with the cougar since my first car was an 87 cougar, but the turbo coupe seems like it has a few benefits even if I pull out the 4 cyl and drop in a v8...hell my buddy has a 306 sitting in his garge going to waste that I could probably buy if I ddcide to go v8 he also has a 351w block and plenty of 302w heads. He even has a turbo 400 tranny that was bolted to his 306 when it was in his mustang, 2 t5s, a c4, an a c6. So I have plenty of options if I decide to swap. Just a difficult decision.

Reply #11
At $500 a piece, I'd save up and get both.

The 20th anniversary cars are rare, only about 5000 made and had several special options no other cars did. At least part it out and get parts to other enthusiasts.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #12
My goal is to get both but I'm not in a place that I can save right now. I need to buy a car on the 29th, then I need to get a place on the 15th of August. Those are my next 2 pay days. Also between now and the end of the month I need to find an extra $300 to save my 95 I preza awd with a blown engine from storage. Basically I'm asking which one should I buy first and mod first. Because at this point I may let the impreza go so I can buy both.

Reply #13
If ya got a running car now, drive pizza. It's easy quick cash, but I know stuff goes.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #14
I say Cougar ... I'm a little partial even though I did own an '88 5.0 Sport Tbird for awhile.  I think between the Turbo Coupe being an automatic and your ability to do some easy mods on the fly with the 5.0, you're better served going in that direction.  Now, that being said, neither choice is "wrong".