Skip to main content
Topic: 1988 thunderbird v6 problems (Read 10581 times) previous topic - next topic

1988 thunderbird v6 problems

Reply #30
OK so no spark from the ignition coil while cranking. it sparked once. As soon as we quit turning the key

Reply #31
I got spark not sure what I did but I hooked up a different coil and just sat it by the other one still mounted and it fell over I started getting spark but now I'm not. So I guess I may have a short some where?

Reply #33
I checked voltage to coil again and was only getting 6 then would drop down to 4 while cranking?

Reply #34
Boothcody22

I checked voltage to coil again and was only getting 6 then would drop down to 4 while cranking?

Sounds like you need to get the battery charged up. There is going to be some voltage drop while cranking it over.

Boothcody22

I got spark not sure what I did but I hooked up a different coil and just sat it by the other one still mounted and it fell over I started getting spark but now I'm not. So I guess I may have a short some where?

Maybe try hooking the coil directly to the battery with a jumper wire. If it happens to start the only way to shut it down is to disconnect the jumper wire.

Check the wiring and connections over. Check for continuity on each side of the connectors, wiggle the wires while doing so. If you are testing with things unplugged and it tests good on that end it doesn't mean it is getting out of the other side of the connector when it is plugged back in.

Reply #35
Well she runs!  Only problem is I unhooked that timing jumper which ik is supposed to be in but what does that mean? Also I grabbed it while running so I became the jumper I advise never doing that lol

Reply #36
The timing jumper plug basically removes the computer from modifying ignition related stuff. Essentially running in limp mode.

Now that you got it so it can run, put that jumper back in, clear codes or disconnect the computer over night, and try to start it again. If it won't start, pull codes and see what really going on. There are only a handful of sensors that will prevent the car from starting with the jumper in vs jumper out.

Hopefully we can get ya going.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #37
It would try to start when I put it back in. The code I'm getting is either 4 or 41

Reply #38
Could it be the eec or some kind of ignition relay  Ik a guy that swears that's what he did to fix his. The eec was getting really hot

Reply #39
You mentioned someone had put a new distributor in it. Have you had a timing light on it?

Reply #40
No I haven't he said a shop did it but that still don't mean anything

Reply #41
New relay didn't help. So is the computer the only thing left?

Reply #42
If it runs without the spout pull it, start it, check the base timing just to make sure it is set right.

Reply #43
Oh ya ok in gonna try timing tomorrow

Reply #44
The computer will tell you why it isn't running...
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com