Skip to main content
Topic: Stella 2.0 - Major Overhaul time (Read 24309 times) previous topic - next topic

Stella 2.0 - Major Overhaul time

Reply #60
Megasquirt eh? I'm curious as to how it will work out for you.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #61
Quote from: thunderjet302;454541
Megasquirt eh? I'm curious as to how it will work out for you.

I'm looking forward to it. My car, like many other Fords of the same era, has had a history of hard-to-track-down engine control issues, so I wanted something that will help make those things go away/be easier to diagnose (I hate relying on ambiguous codes. Just show me what the engine is doing). It also doesn't require any hacking of the wiring harness, so it's easily reversible. Also, it opens the door for pretty much any normal engine modification without having to convert to MAF. The PNP ECU was expensive, but the multifaceted impact it will have should be well worth it. Expect many posts about the ECU once the suspension and brakes are sorted out; my dad and I will be tinkering with it quite a bit.

In other news, some more stuff arrived:

The fog lights I got turned out to be a perfect fit. Yes, they were NIB OEM, but not for a Tbird ;)

New 11" rotor compared to the old 10" front rotor. Also looks like the front wheels will sit about half an inch further inward, which is great.

New Mustang caliper compared to the old Tbird caliper.

Reply #62
The only issue I have with the PNP Megasquirt is that it's not sequential EFI but instead batch fire. Good luck with it. It should be pretty user friendly to tune.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #63
For the first time in 6 weeks, the car is finally going back together.

Took the transmission out to install a new shifter and put Royal Purple Synchromax transmission fluid in.

Finished assembling the rear axle.

And finally, the rear suspension bolted in. Still need to wrap up a few odds and ends, but things are moving forward nicely.

Reply #64
Looking good :)

I got my maximum Motorsports rear control arms in over the weekend: http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?39501-Rear-suspension-project

The spherical bushings on each end are fine on the street. The only draw back is more differential noise. If you end up tearing the poly bushing on the chassis end see if Maximum Motorsports will press a spherical bushing in its place.

Reply #65
Also were you adding a panhard rod to your setup? I'm thinking about adding the Maximum Motorsports piece to my car next year.

Reply #66
Quote from: thunderjet302;454645
Also were you adding a panhard rod to your setup? I'm thinking about adding the Maximum Motorsports piece to my car next year.

I may install a panhard bar down the road, but it requires shortening the shock tower by 2" according to Jack Hidley (I'm currently using Chuck W shock mounts). I didn't do it this time around due to budget constraints. I also need to get upgraded sway bars at some point. What did you end up doing for subframe connectors?

Reply #67
Quote from: kingcars;454647
I may install a panhard bar down the road, but it requires shortening the shock tower by 2" according to Jack Hidley (I'm currently using Chuck W shock mounts). I didn't do it this time around due to budget constraints. I also need to get upgraded sway bars at some point. What did you end up doing for subframe connectors?

My subframe connectors are 1"x2" steel tubing welded to the frame rails. Nothing fancy.

Reply #68
Ah ok. What about the quad shocks you mentioned? Were they mainly straight replacements or was there a noticeable handling/ride difference?

Reply #69
The quad shocks were just Gabriel replacements. With the Maximum Motorsports arms I doubt they are needed but they fit so I let them be.

Reply #70
A lot of folks have said that with good c/a's, the quads are a waste of weight and space. lookin' good dude, keep it the hell up. :)
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #71
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;454666
A lot of folks have said that with good c/a's, the quads are a waste of weight and space. lookin' good dude, keep it the hell up. :)

Well they fit with the tires I'm running so I let them be. They aren't hurting anything. If I didn't have new ones I probably would have left them off.

Reply #72
I'd have kept them on my Stang if they'd cleared the tires,  the FoxStang's smaller wheel wells LOL
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #73
Nice progress, keep us updated!
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #74
Big update from this weekend! Got the front suspension put together, bled the brakes, and outside of finding out that I need a new steering rack, everything went smoothly. The best part is that we were able to get the car set down on the ground to really get a good look at it. I haven't adjusted the ride height outside of whatever we set everything at while putting it together, but honestly, I quite like it where it is. Might adjust it slightly, but not much.

And, you know, I gotta make sure my baby niece is raised the right way :) . She's clearly my niece, because immediately after being removed from the driver's seat, she started crying. I definitely know that feeling.:burnout:

So next week will entail putting in the new steering rack along with new tie rod ends and sway bar links, button up/adjust the emergency brakes, adjusting the ride height, corner scale the car and a full alignment. After that....it'll be time to take it out on the twisties!