Skip to main content
Topic: 1984 Thunderbird 5.0, motor shaking at idle,and slight miss?? (Read 7129 times) previous topic - next topic

1984 Thunderbird 5.0, motor shaking at idle,and slight miss??

Reply #15
Thanks Haystack!

Reply #16
So none of theses will make my idle rough,and engine  shake at idle?

Reply #17
No switching detected on o2's means one side is always lean, o2 might be bad.

You can try unplugging it to see if the code goes away, or switch o2's from one side to the other. O2's cost about $45 at least for my car and can be a bear to get out.

Don't drive with o2's unplugged. Its bad for your cats. A quick idle test to see if it stops shaking should tell ya.

Best of luck, look around on that sbftech link. They have code definitions specific to fords. Some information is 87-93 mustang only, but is likely the closest you'll get. They have wrote steps for troubleshooting and testing most common codes and hints for other things to check.

Thank you for pulling codes. I hate troubleshooting with nothing to go on. Lots of guys here throw money away till they run out and give up. Props to you sir.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #18
The car also has a slight miss a idle sound like a exhaust leak almost maybe underneath the car but I got it up on jack stands and can't see any spots that have build up of a leak?So kinds confused about that..And when I rev it it doesn't miss,at all???

Reply #19
My money is on o2's or the egr being stuck open, either can cause a rough idle. Egr you should be able to unbolt and move by hand. Its a small plug with a spring in it. When vacuum is applied it pulls back the spring. If the egr gets crusty or carbon build up, sometimes it gets stuck.

Once a egr code is displayed, the computer ignores is pretends its not there.if its stuck open it can effect idle.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #20
Thanks man, I'm only 26,and this was my girlfriends uncle's car..And he passed a year ago on thanksgiving .. We were good friends.. So the car means alot too me.. Even though it's my dad's! It's pretty much mine too.. Were running all new break lines and that's super funn... Not!  I'll keep you posted, my works far from done..

Reply #21
Check the smog pump air tube, where it goes from the cats up to the head. Exhaust is pumped out of the head with the smog pump and shoots oxygen down to the cat to warm it up like a bellows or blowing on coals.

That small metal pipe has been rusted through on all my cars and makes exhaust leak. You can replace it with high temp rubber hose.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #22
Thanks man, that kinda what I'm leaning towards,  as soon as I get a chance I'm gunna pull it out and push on it, and hold my finger on it to check for vacuum...

Reply #23
Im only 28. Been driving these cars since i was 16. Occasionally little bit of smarts rubs off over time and ya pick stuff up here and there. Good luck, and let us know what you find.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #24
I'll have too look in to that some it's super tight and not much room too see over there in that area.. But I got a feeling you're right, because it smells like a exhaust leek to high heaven, I gotta have a big fan under it blown all that  out of the garage when it's running. . So I know it's leek in some where. .lol

Reply #25
Will do ,and I've always had mustangs with the 5.0.. so yea that helps some..Thanks again

Reply #26
KOEO codes: On demand (O) and Continuous memory (M)
O's are the first codes presented. Then a single pulse separator between O and M codes. I am guessing the 11 you listed was the single pulse.

O- 82 code ( since this is not a valid M code I am calling it an O code) TAB or TAD solenoid resistance out of specs. pull connector and check each solenoid for 50-100 ohms.
O- 84 code EGRC or EGRV solenoid resistance out of specs. Pull connector and check each solenoid for 30-70 ohms.

Memory codes are stored while driving the car. You can clear them by disconnecting paper clip jumper while KOEO codes are reading out.
M- 41 code EGO sensing lean.
M- 21 code ECT low. If the ECT sensor were bad, the KOER would show this code. About the only way to get this code with a good ECT sensor is the thermostat sticking open in cold weather.

KOER codes:
R-41 code EGO sensing lean. Warm up the engine. Pull apart the connector to the EGO sensor (your car only has one sensor. right side rear of manifold.) Put meter on output of the sensor. With the engine running approximately 2000 RPM you should have more than 0.5 volts between the sensor output and ground.
They typically run between 0.5 and 0.8 volts. It may be easier to back probe EEC pin 29 Dark green/ pink hash wire.
If the EGO sensor is good you may have a vacuum leak.

R- codes 32 & 34 see KOEO codes 82 & 84.
R- code 77 when running KOER, after the 4 pulse engine code and before the error codes start, you should get a single "dynamic response"  pulse. This is when you should goose the gas pedal momentarily to WOT.

Reply #27
Pic.

Reply #28
Thanks slow touch I worked 12 hours today,  so I wasn't able to work on the car hopefully I can get out there tomorrow, but I'm not sure I know where too look for the egr control solenoids..? What area under the hood is this located?And also Thermador air solenoids??Sorry  I really don't recall.. Thanks again for you're time!!

Reply #29
Softtouch! Like I said I had a really long day yesterday!I was half asleep when I wrote back..