Skip to main content
Topic: 1984 Thunderbird 5.0, motor shaking at idle,and slight miss?? (Read 7138 times) previous topic - next topic

1984 Thunderbird 5.0, motor shaking at idle,and slight miss??

Reply #30
I don't know where those solenoids are located on the 5.0L. On the 3.8L they are under the antifreeze expansion tank.
I think yours will be on the shock towers or the firewall. The bad solenoids don't have anything to do with your idling problem.
A bad EGO may make you run too rich as the EEC reacts to the lean EGO .
If I can find a picture I will post it.

Reply #31
X2

Ignore the codes and solinoids right now.

Take apart your egr and see if it's stuck open, if it's not, it shouldn't be causing your idling issue.

Then you need to test your o2's by unplugging them. If unplugging them doesn't change anything, they are likely not the cause of your idle issues.

Vacuum leaks will artificially raise the idle which can cause the computer to freak out because it can't control the idle and it will do funky things like change timing and cut/add fuel trying to bring down or steady the idle. I'd check the egr/o2's, then go after vacuum lines.

Personally I've seen no difference in gas mileage or emissions with a functioning egr, so even if it is stuck open, try to clean it till it will close and make sure it seals. If it does, you don't need to worry about it unless you have emissions testing. The o2's are critical to your a/f ratio and factors how much air the computer thinks it is getting.

Your on the right track, just buckle down and check egr and o2's first. 41/42 codes should be drivers or passenger side, which should help you eliminate the problem. O2's really suck to change out. All kinds of  in the way.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #32
The white/black wire on the electric choke heater should have 7 to 8 volts on it when the alternator is running.
If the alternator has been upgraded from the original 1G they may not have connected this wire to the stator (S) terminal of the alternator.
This would leave it stuck on high idle.

Reply #33
Stack. His car only has 0ne O2.

Reply #34
I see. Sorry, I am lacking in the cfi and pre sefi cars.

Every cfi car I had was a 87 v-6 and they all are the tranny before I got any real miles on them.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com