Skip to main content
Topic: Irrational case of the wants for this Continental (Read 7945 times) previous topic - next topic

Irrational case of the wants for this Continental

Reply #15
Quote from: ZondaC12;452236
7.5 with 5 lug and 4 wheel disc????? Now I've seen it all!!

That blue one...it looks...bigger ya know?
And the interior reminds me of my 'Vic. Really liking that front seat.

Dammit Lou....dammit.

Imagine one of these with 3.73s, a quiet exhaust and a full cheapo GT40 setup or an aluminum headed one. You want comfy sports sedan and evil sleeper all in one? You've got it....

Actually 94-04 V6 Mustangs came with a 7.5 with 5 lug and 4 wheel disc so it's not that rare ;).

That blue is a much better color combo than the first one I posted. Makes the car look a bit larger. I think the wheels on the blue one help as well.

I really don't know if I'd mod one of these Continentals. I've got the Thunderbird so I might just leave it alone. A TW170/Comp Cam/GT40 intake swap would be fun in one though. The car would also need a rebuilt and stalled AOD and a 8.8 swap out of a Mark VII (should be direct, 4 wheel disc and all) to make it really fun though.......
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #16
Quote from: ZondaC12;452236
7.5 with 5 lug and 4 wheel disc????? Now I've seen it all!!

All SVO Mustangs were so equipped ...

Driving to work taking the "back country" route, I pass a used car lot that sometimes has 80s / 90s somewhat offbeat or less common cars there, recently saw a decent looking Porsche 928.  So this morning when I go by, sure enough there's an 84-87 Continental, complete with the padded half length carriage vinyl roof, sort of a gold and brown combo.  Funny to see that car appear there so soon after this thread was started.

cheers
Ed
84 Mustang SVO
95 Jaguar XJR

Reply #17
Quote from: fast Ed;452250
All SVO Mustangs were so equipped ...

Driving to work taking the "back country" route, I pass a used car lot that sometimes has 80s / 90s somewhat offbeat or less common cars there, recently saw a decent looking Porsche 928.  So this morning when I go by, sure enough there's an 84-87 Continental, complete with the padded half length carriage vinyl roof, sort of a gold and brown combo.  Funny to see that car appear there so soon after this thread was started.

cheers
Ed

That means you should buy it ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #18
Went by the same way coming home today, in the daylight I could see the car better.  Actually full vinyl roof, and it has the droopy air-ride happening too. LOL

If I want to cruise around in a mid-size luxury 4 door from that era, I can always borrow my father's super minty 77 Monarch Ghia:

This was originally a Ford Canada executive car that has pretty much every option you could get on that car, including the 4-wheel disc that were shared with the Lincoln Versailles.

cheers
Ed
84 Mustang SVO
95 Jaguar XJR

Reply #19
But Fox > Falcon chassis :hick:

Reply #20
Quote from: ZondaC12;452184
Also just noticed the split "console" in the front, with what I'm guessing is window and seat controls. Just like our cars but they made it work with a split-bench. Very cool.
Seat controls only. Windows, door locks & mirrors were on the doors, although early ones (82-83) had the power mirror joystick in the middle above the driver's seat controls. Early ones also had some other interesting features, like a temperature gauge, when the odo went digital in 84, the Temp gauge was removed.

Quote from: fast Ed;452200
Yup, mechanically they were basically a four door version of the Mark VII from 84-87, non HO engine though. The 82-83 didn't have all the fancy bits, only 5-lug 4-wheel disc.
cheers
Ed
Actually , the Continental sedan was a fancy Fox body LTD/Marquis, Mark VII was a Fancy T-bird/Cougar.

Quote from: ZondaC12;452177
Wow those had ABS???? And air ride.
Despite looking a bit odd from some angles...I guess that truly was the top of luxury for the Fox chassis. I've seen quite a few of these on CL/eBay. I know it's truly like new but there's no demand. I defy anyone to pay over $10k. I mean 5 maybe?? Welcome to the target market, population: Lou :hick:
ABS first appeared in 85.
Current: 1986 Thunderbird, 105k 3.8/C5, 2 tone  Midnight Wine/Medium Taupe, wing windows, wire wheel covers.

Former: 1985 Cougar GS 115k Oxford White/Regatta Blue, 5.0, full console, 14" 8 hole aluminum T-Bird rims, Edelbrock valve covers.

Reply #21
I'm really mad at you right now for making this thread Lou. 

Car #6 here we come.....

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/10742133
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #22
How do you have anymore space? I'm tapped out a 4 cars. No more room :hick:.

Reply #23
Quote from: V8Demon;452512
I'm really mad at you right now for making this thread Lou. 

Car #6 here we come.....

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/10742133

Offer them half because they listed it as fwd ;)
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #24
Quote from: Haystack;452520
Offer them half because they listed it as fwd ;)

Yeah that'll work :hick:

Reply #25
I always thought it would be cool to do an M5 sort of treatment to the Lincoln. SVO turbo 4 with the offset hood scoop maybe.
1988 Thunderbird
2012 Focus SE

Reply #26
I always thought it would be cool to do an M5 sort of treatment to the Lincoln. SVO turbo 4 with the offset hood scoop maybe.
1988 Thunderbird
2012 Focus SE

Reply #27
If any of you still want a continental, I spotted this one on CL the other day:

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/5352609825.html

No affiliation...
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #28
Quote from: CoogarXR;453235
If any of you still want a continental, I spotted this one on CL the other day:

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/5352609825.html

No affiliation...

Pass. Must be an 86-87 with a SEFI 5.0 ;).

Reply #29
well, im my opinion, its a cheaper price to pay than for a new car today,, and the best bonus is,, you could end up paying 10k for a nearly brand new car!!!,, makes sense to me to  buy the car!