Skip to main content
Topic: Irrational case of the wants for this Continental (Read 7946 times) previous topic - next topic

Irrational case of the wants for this Continental

I have an irrational case of the wants for this Continental: https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/cto/5281788569.html

Rare and beautiful two owner Bustleback Continental with only 13k original miles! Two owner car. Drives like a new car. Still has a new car smell. Gold with gold leather interior and genuine walnut wood trim throughout. Car is immaculate and worthy of collector status. No rust - kept in climate controlled storage. 5.0L / 302 V8, EFI, AOD Overdrive Trans, Working Air Ride Suspension. Car has all the toys, including digital dash with computer feedback. Original window sticker. Needs only a new, caring home! $12,990 or reasonable offer. This may be the cleanest Continental of it's kind in the country! Car is located in climate storage in Broadview, IL Please email if interested - Thanks.

Spammers and phishers will be reported! No trades, no sales assistance needed, and no lowballers please.

My grandparents had a virtual twin of this car when I was a child. I remember when I was 5 asking my grandfather how fast it went because the speedo was digital. Well it went at least 85mph :hick:. I used to love when they would drive us around in the Continental. Now if I only had the cash....
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #1
Interior.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #2
Engine

Reply #3
Wow those had ABS???? And air ride.
Despite looking a bit odd from some angles...I guess that truly was the top of luxury for the Fox chassis. I've seen quite a few of these on CL/eBay. I know it's truly like new but there's no demand. I defy anyone to pay over $10k. I mean 5 maybe?? Welcome to the target market, population: Lou :hick:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #4
There's been one of those on my local CL forever. He's been relisting it for months. You could probably get it cheap:

http://mansfield.craigslist.org/cto/5285539795.html
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #5
Also just noticed the split "console" in the front, with what I'm guessing is window and seat controls. Just like our cars but they made it work with a split-bench. Very cool.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #6
Yeah.......he's got pie-in-the-sky dreams with that price.  IMO, anyway.  I'll halve Zonda's offer, and say 2500, tops.

Reply #7
Quote from: ZondaC12;452177
Despite looking a bit odd from some angles...I guess that truly was the top of luxury for the Fox chassis. I've seen quite a few of these on CL/eBay. I know it's truly like new but there's no demand. I defy anyone to pay over $10k. I mean 5 maybe?? Welcome to the target market, population: Lou :hick:

I am probably the only person who wants this car :hick:. It's in great shape but no way is anyone paying almost $13K for it. Maybe $5-6K but I doubt they would take that for the car (it's a dealer after all). Heck I can't even spend $5-6K on the thing as I'm in the middle of home renovations and have absolutely no where to park the thing. It's just a matter of money and space. You know what keeps us all from buying cool stuff.....

Reply #8
Of course then there is this one. Overpriced still and has almost 100k more miles. The color combo and wheels are better IMO.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/5307759359.html

Classic Lincoln Continental 1986 in Excellent Condition and Very Clean. Runs very smooth and all accessories are working. Car was in storage for 8 years and is now being used occasionally. Michelin tires have less than 3,000 miles on them. Cars has 108,000 miles but looks and runs like new. Will consider reasonable offers. Non local buyers responsible for transporting vehicle.
[/I]

XXX

Reply #9
Interior and engine bay.
XXX

Reply #10
The goofy thing is I have a Mark VII which is better than a Fox Continental on paper (5.0 HO, 8.8 rear with 3.27 Traction-Lok, etc) and I would trade it for an 86-87 Fox Continental. For some reason I just love the way they look. I wouldn't even mod the Continental. I'd just use it for special events and fancy dinner outings :hick:.

Reply #11
Quote from: ZondaC12;452177

Yup, mechanically they were basically a four door version of the Mark VII from 84-87, non HO engine though.  The 82-83 didn't have all the fancy bits, only 5-lug 4-wheel disc.

cheers
Ed
84 Mustang SVO
95 Jaguar XJR

Reply #12
Quote from: fast Ed;452200
Yup, mechanically they were basically a four door version of the Mark VII from 84-87, non HO engine though.  The 82-83 didn't have all the fancy bits, only 5-lug 4-wheel disc.

cheers
Ed

I'm pretty certain they also came with a 7.5" rear axle as well.

Reply #13
Parts catalogue is showing both 7.5 and 8.8 on the 84-87 Conti.  I'd agree that many of them likely got the 7.5 because of the non-HO engine.

cheers
Ed
84 Mustang SVO
95 Jaguar XJR

Reply #14
7.5 with 5 lug and 4 wheel disc????? Now I've seen it all!!

That blue one...it looks...bigger ya know?
And the interior reminds me of my 'Vic. Really liking that front seat.

Dammit Lou....dammit.

Imagine one of these with 3.73s, a quiet exhaust and a full cheapo GT40 setup or an aluminum headed one. You want comfy sports sedan and evil sleeper all in one? You've got it....