Skip to main content
Topic: New guy here - Got myself an '83 Heritage 'Bird, and I think I like it (Read 8679 times) previous topic - next topic

New guy here - Got myself an '83 Heritage 'Bird, and I think I like it

Reply #30
AS a FYI if you're in the junkyard Tempos/Topazs use the same striker bushing as our cars.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #31
Odd that they would bother to spec a different part for the fox bird. So, should I just hit the Ford dealer? That seems like the easy thing to do, and there is one not five minutes from my house.

We will see how I feel about the doors, eh? As a Mercedes owner, I have high standards when it comes to doors closing. They seem pretty good about not sagging, however.

Reply #32
Doubt if the dealer will have any but worth checking if it's only 5 minutes away. Let us know what you find...
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #33
I bought a striker/bushing (They came together) for my '86 from the HELP! section at advance and it's been totally fine for like a year.
Brian Leavitt
86 TC 5-Speed -- MS2x w/COP | 83lb. Injectors| T3/T4 50 Trim Stage 3 .63AR | Full 3" Exhaust - No Cat | Motorsport FMIC | Ranger Roller |
------------------------Ported E6 | Walbro 255HP | Kirban | Pierburg EBCV @ 20psi | BOV | 120-amp 3G | K&N Cone | 8.8" 3.55 rear |
87 TC 5-Speed -- Cone Filter | Bypassed BCS | Stock Daily Driver
66 Mustang -- Pertronix Ignition Upgrade | Slow-Mobile

Reply #34
Quote from: rodsterh;450600
Doubt if the dealer will have any but worth checking if it's only 5 minutes away. Let us know what you find...

I doubt they will have them on hand, but they may be orderable. I was too busy to check today, but I will have time tomorrow.

Quote from: BLeavitt23;450605
I bought a striker/bushing (They came together) for my '86 from the HELP! section at advance and it's been totally fine for like a year.

I have seen those break more than once, and you just can't tell if they are good or bad by looking at them. I try to stay away from Motormite/Dorman stuff these days when it comes to critical components, because it is all just repackaged lowest bidder stuff, and frequently made from Chinesium. I think the part that keeps my door closed is important enough to try to find the highest quality replacement for. The Help! brand may even come from the same factory and production line as a part from the Ford dealer, but the piece of mind is worth a few extra bucks.

That said, if I can't find them them anywhere else, then what other choice do I have but to try them? At least I know I can get something new as a replacement, thanks to you. May your striker keep on keeping on.

Reply #35
Part # 6W1Z-54W2008-A is the current part number. These were used on all kinds of things, right up through at least the 2011 model year. My local dealer just quoted me $12.45 a piece for them. I'll be picking up a pair.

Reply #36
Odd Ford part number?? Guess I'm just used to E3SZ!  :)  For that price I hope it's the striker and bushing.  Let us know how it works out.
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #37
They are an assembly, apparently. The current part number supersedes a number that supercedes a number that supercedes a number that supersedes a number, and so on. It was quite a list!

I am certain they will be worthwhile. Maybe they will even be made in Canada or Mexico. Who knows?!

Reply #38
I'm sure they will be worthwhile and the doors will probably close nicer than a Mercedes. :D
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #39
Quote from: rodsterh;450646
I'm sure they will be worthwhile and the doors will probably close nicer than a Mercedes. :D

I... Well... I don't know if they well close that nicely. Heh.

So I bought new drums and all new drum hardware, shoes, slave cylinders, right? What do I do? I buy a 3.73 spring lock 8.8" rear end from an '88 TC as soon as it hits the yard.

Yes, I got the quad shock brackets. I ran out of time, but I will be going back for the front spindles, and then throwing new 11" rotors and some Lincoln Mark VII calipers on the car eventually. All that combined with the '93 Cobra booster and 1" early-mid 80's Crown Vic master cylinder should round out the whoa mods pretty well.

I just cant leave anything alone, can I? Anyone in the market for some lightly used brakes? :punchballs:

Reply #40
Quote from: Kadams4458;450864
I... Well... I don't know if they well close that nicely. Heh.

So I bought new drums and all new drum hardware, shoes, slave cylinders, right? What do I do? I buy a 3.73 spring lock 8.8" rear end from an '88 TC as soon as it hits the yard.

Yes, I got the quad shock brackets. I ran out of time, but I will be going back for the front spindles, and then throwing new 11" rotors and some Lincoln Mark VII calipers on the car eventually. All that combined with the '93 Cobra booster and 1" early-mid 80's Crown Vic master cylinder should round out the whoa mods pretty well.

I just cant leave anything alone, can I? Anyone in the market for some lightly used brakes? :punchballs:

Trade you for the sneakers.......  :-)

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Reply #41
Quote from: MY83T;450866
Trade you for the sneakers.......  :-)

Yeah, my gym shoes are unnaturally white, and make the beater Subaru look even dirtier than it really is. My secret to keeping them so nice is to rarely exercise. Shoes don't get dirty if they are kept n a box while one stuffs their face with Twinkies. :D

Actually, I used to exercise six days a week before a car accident screwed up my spine. Years later, the physical therapy and pain management have finally got me to a point where I can gingerly exercise again instead of eating  and feeling sorry for myself, so I dug the shoes out of storage. I just forgot to take them out of the Subaru parts chaser before retrieving that axle.

Reply #42
Quote from: Kadams4458;450869
Yeah, my gym shoes are unnaturally white, and make the beater Subaru look even dirtier than it really is. My secret to keeping them so nice is to rarely exercise. Shoes don't get dirty if they are kept n a box while one stuffs their face with Twinkies. :D

Actually, I used to exercise six days a week before a car accident screwed up my spine. Years later, the physical therapy and pain management have finally got me to a point where I can gingerly exercise again instead of eating  and feeling sorry for myself, so I dug the shoes out of storage. I just forgot to take them out of the Subaru parts chaser before retrieving that axle.

Ahhh, just busting chops..... sorry you have had some rough patches along the way..... Little by little, hope you are fully on the mend soon.

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler