Skip to main content
Topic: New guy here - Got myself an '83 Heritage 'Bird, and I think I like it (Read 8697 times) previous topic - next topic

New guy here - Got myself an '83 Heritage 'Bird, and I think I like it

Reply #15
It's a shame you're on the left coast. I'm getting in a 85 bird for parts tomorrow. It has all the sheetmetal you need.
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

Reply #16
Quote from: Kadams4458;450449
That last post of mine was a wall of text, wasn't it? Sorry about that, I just get a little excited at times. I happen to love working on all kinds of machine and electronics, and when something new catches my attention, I sort of lose myself in it for a while. Thankfully, the girlfriend understands!

David, thanks a ton for the links. I will probably jump on that turn signal stalk and maybe hunt for the wiper stalk, too, since mine has a crack in it. I figure if I have to pull the column apart, I may as well fix the whole thing in one shot.

Is that steering wheel emblem correct for the '83? The wood grain doesn't seem to match what is on my dash, but seeing as I never saw the original, Maybe that it's how it was.

As for the brown vents... They sure look factory from casual observation, but I will look closer and get good photos of them soon.

Alright, it's back to resting for me. I upset my old  spine injury last night, so I will be taking it easy for a few days. I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

The emblem for the wheel is from an 81/82 wheel, but should fit perfect, and it might be a slightly different color.  I have a spare glove box light with intact lens if you need/want it too.

Wiper Arm/Switch NOS
http://www.ebay.com/itm/E3SZ-173-B-83-84-FORD-THUNDERBIRD-COUGAR-WIPER-WASHER-SWITCH-NEW-NOS-/160798095896?hash=item2570503a18&vxp=mtr

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Reply #17
Emblem Placement/Locations:

Reply #18
Wow, great information. Thank you, I am keeping notes. Good pictures of the emblem placement is very helpful as well. I probably won't bother with it until after painting, but it is good information to have, and I may as well start collecting parts as i find them.

So, are you just the walking, talking '83 edition of the Encyclopedia Thunderbirdica, or are you the entire set of '83 through '88? :bowdown:

I found a light blue on blue '83 LTD wagon in a local yard in decent cosmetic condition the other day. Anyone here need parts from such a beast?

Reply #19
Quote from: Kadams4458;450457
Wow, great information. Thank you, I am keeping notes. Good pictures of the emblem placement is very helpful as well. I probably won't bother with it until after painting, but it is good information to have, and I may as well start collecting parts as i find them.

So, are you just the walking, talking '83 edition of the Encyclopedia Thunderbirdica, or are you the entire set of '83 through '88? :bowdown:

I found a light blue on blue '83 LTD wagon in a local yard in decent cosmetic condition the other day. Anyone here need parts from such a beast?

I'm 47, and been around these cars since 1986 when i got my first car (1983 Heritage).  I have that car, and was in great shape with 123,000 miles up until Oct. 2012 when Hurricane Sandy dumped almost 6 feet of salt water whoopass on my house and everything we own.  That car is good for s, and i just acquired the white 83 in the photos i posted as a trade for 87 Cougar XR-7 i bought to be make me feel less bad after the flood.  The new 83 is a 75K mile pampered survivor, with a very interesting owner history and origin. I also have a 1989 36K mile Lincoln LSC that looks like it drove off the showroom floor yesterday.  Here is a link to my new car i posted pics today:

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?38961-Back-in-the-Bird-game

An older thread about my other 83 before and after the Flood.
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?32013-My-bone-stock-1983-Heritage-lives-again&highlight=1983+heritage
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?37239-ADVICE-BADLY-NEEDED-1983-Thunderbird-Heritage-Update&highlight=sandy

A thread about my LSC
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?38291-Drumroll-please-1989-Lincoln-LSC-Mark-VII-(New-Car-in-the-stable)&highlight=sandy

Reply #20
Quote from: jandmmustangs;450450
It's a shame you're on the left coast. I'm getting in a 85 bird for parts tomorrow. It has all the sheetmetal you need.

I have noticed with many of the cars that I have purchased since moving to this side of the country that all of the parts I want are almost always on the other side. Even when they are close, they still manage to be on the other side of a mountain range, or in a different country. It can be frustrating.

Quote from: Haystack;450383
I am digging the tc wheels.

Yeah, those were a nice bonus. The original owner added them at some point, and being 16's, they offer me a far greater range of tires to choose from than the original 14" wheels would these days.

Reply #21
Welcome to the forum, and your not alone.  These cars can be contagious to drive and cause the owner to unexpectedly purchase additional models at random.

Go Fast the first time.  The tickets the same.
86 Thunderbird 5.0.  All original good weather driver. Tbird Reg #53035
86 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather driver.  Tbird Reg # 58555
87 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather daily driver.  Tbird Reg # 64647

Reply #22
Quote from: Kadams4458;450378
I mostly love the walnut interior, as it's just so rich.

I know exactly what you are talking about!  Many years back when these cars could be found in junkyards around here, I came across an 83 with the same interior in great condition. I just thought I had to pull it out and bring it home but didn't have the time or space. :(  What a great looking interior.

So glad to hear you are enjoying your new '83.  Just happens to be my favorite year but I might be a bit biased since I bought mine new.  ;)  Oh yea and like you said, there is just something about the steering wheel!!!

Here is the correct pattern for the steering wheel center.

X

Is your door tag is decent shape?  If so could you post a picture of it?  Funny, I've seen other cars with the same Tu tone paint treatment but it's not shown as an option in any of the literature I have. Maybe it was a late year addition?
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #23
Welcome, I to have an 83.  Mine was given to me 4 years ago this September, my friend drove it in high school, I could not let him just let it go, so he gave it to me to put back together and enjoy it.  My mom still drives her 1985 6 cylinder has a daily driver.  She is the only other 83-86 tbird I see in Pensacola riding around, so I cant wait to get mine finished to hit the streets.

Reply #24
The door tag is in pretty decent condition. Forgive me, I haven't cleaned the door jamb, yet.

X

Reply #25
Wow, that's in great shape and one of the nicest I've seen as far as well defined original characters.

Looks like you might be missing a striker bushing. If so, the door will close much nicer with one installed.
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #26
Looks like a great project.  Welcome!
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #27
Quote from: rodsterh;450504
Wow, that's in great shape and one of the nicest I've seen as far as well defined original characters.

Looks like you might be missing a striker bushing. If so, the door will close much nicer with one installed.

Is that why the doors are loose?! I hadn't looked in to it yet, but both doors rattle in and out while fully latched. I feel like an idiot for not noticing that until you pointed it out, but I have been more focused on things under the hood.

Reply #28
I have been really busy with work stuff the past few days, and haven't had time to stop by and reply. That said, since I can't seem to sleep at nearly 3 AM, I thought I would drop a little status update here. (I guess the car needs a repair/build thread, eh?)

The remanufactured master cylinder that I installed when I replaced most of the brake system is definitely leaking fluid past the piston and dribbling it down the front of the booster. Folks, I haven't picked up a bad part from Carquest for at least five years now, and I buy a lot of parts. There is a good reason I have an account with them, and I sincerely hope that Advance doesn't screw things up, but I fear that they will. Maybe that is why I can't sleep?

Anyway, I wasn't particularly impressed with the pedal travel that Ford chose to bestow upon this 'Bird, so I took the opportunity today, while I was out picking up customer parts, to inquire as to the availability of a '93 Cobra booster and an '85 Crown Vic master before returning to the shop. Both parts are now heading my way. :D

Well, I've started modding it.; I think the car is officially a keeper.

Reply #29
Quote from: Kadams4458;450574
Is that why the doors are loose?! I hadn't looked in to it yet, but both doors rattle in and out while fully latched. I feel like an idiot for not noticing that until you pointed it out, but I have been more focused on things under the hood.

Yep that would do it. No problem on not noticing, there are a ton of things to think about on a new project and you can't see them all at once!  The reason I noticed is the fact that I just replaced one on my car last year.

Don't try to use a Mustang striker, seems they are a bit larger and the doors won't close!  I need to go back and look but I think I bought a piece of PEX for the correct ID and then sanded it down to the correct OD. The Dorman replacements you find in the auto stores work good for the Mustang but not for the TBird.  Don't know if anyone else has successfully replaced a bushing or not?

I was always impressed how solid sounding the doors are on these cars and with new bushings I bet you will be impressed too!

Thanks for the updates and good luck on the project.
tbirdregistry.com