Skip to main content
Topic: kamikaze crusie control (Read 4278 times) previous topic - next topic

kamikaze crusie control

had this problem since i got the car all works fine until you hit the brake and theres no vaspooge dump so the car thinks you are on a hill and puts the gas in,i tell you i nearly shiznit my pants.is there a test for the brake vaspooge dump or adjustment?

kamikaze crusie control

Reply #1
I have no ideas for your fix. My 06 F350 did the same thing. Gave me a little pucker factor. I've got to check and replace my brake switch.
Good luck.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

kamikaze crusie control

Reply #2
The vacuum dump valve is the safety backup to disable the cruise control in case the speed control amplifier module goes crazy.
This will only disable the cruise as long as you have your foot on the brake.

The brake light circuit should shut off the cruise control module.
Do your brake lights work?

kamikaze crusie control

Reply #3
I just had that problem, ordered a brake switch and when I contorted myself under there to check it out.  The wiring to the switch was corroded and apart.  Put in the new wiring and was back in business.

Check to make sure your brake lights are coming on.
Mike

kamikaze crusie control

Reply #4
Just an fyi, virtually any car uses the same switch. I accidentally broke mine when i did the pedals on my t-5 swap. I got the new switch out of a 97ish f-150 that had the pedal ripped out.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

kamikaze crusie control

Reply #5
yes the brake lights work

kamikaze crusie control

Reply #6
just had a look at the brake switch and someone has bin in there.from the switch i have green/red(feed) going into the protective loom sleeve which has a green wire cut off just inside.the other wire has bin played with starts green then the wire has bin cut and joined to a green yellow wire which goes to the fuse panel.i gusse the cut off green wire should go to the switch but why has someone done this?

kamikaze crusie control

Reply #7
check that the vacuum hoses to the unit inside the fender aren't connected backwards.  If I remember, there's 2, one goes to the dump, the other is source.  If they were connected to the unit wrong, providing a path by opening the dump might cause that.  Otherwise, the amplifier has gone yumpy.  I'm working on retrofitting the all integrated non-vac cruise from a crown vic, watch for developments on that, if it works for me, maybe it's something you want to try.

kamikaze crusie control

Reply #8
Mine had a green/red wire and a green wire connected to the switch.  One of them, I believe, was joined to a yellowish wire a little further along.
Mike

kamikaze crusie control

Reply #9
this yellow green wire i know is earth wire from household electrical wiring and completes the brake light circuit by going direct to the fuse pannel.i guess that somewhere on the green return (origbuttstuff)from the brake switch it joins the crusie control to cut it out.i only thing i can come up with is the brake light circuit failed (brokern wire)and someone has done this to get the lights working again but in doing so has lost the cut out.

kamikaze crusie control

Reply #10
Quote from: mr glee;449842
just had a look at the brake switch and someone has bin in there.from the switch i have green/red(feed) going into the protective loom sleeve
This is the "hot at all times" wire from fuse #1.
the other wire has bin played with starts green then the wire has bin cut and joined to a green yellow wire which goes to the fuse panel.
Does the green yellow wire look like it was part of the original cable harness or added later? Is it green with a yellow stripe or yellow with a green stripe?
i gusse the cut off green wire should go to the switch
That would be my guess too. 
but why has someone done this?
Do you know if the exterior lights on US cars must be modified to comply with UK laws?
It has been more than 60 years since I've been to the UK. Back then you had little turn signal arms that would pop out.

Look at the speed control amplifier to see if any modifications have been made to the green wires there.

kamikaze crusie control

Reply #11
After some studying at the university of google, I think I understand what is going on.
In the US the brake lights (red) are also used as the rear turn signals.
In the UK the rear turn signals must be a different color (orange) than the brake lights.

The green wire from your brake switch is spliced to a green/orange wire ( the orange faded to look yellow) thus bypassing the turn signal switches to go directly to the brake lights.
It is, of course more complicated than just this one change.
Are your rear running lights also orange instead of red like in the states and are these used as the turn signals?

Anyhoo, lets just concentrate on what's going on with the cruise control.
The green wire connection at the cruise amplifier must be at ground potential for the cruise to turn on.
The ground is through the brake light bulbs filaments to ground. When the brake switch put voltage on the green wire this took the ground away.

If your green wire is still attached to the turn signal switches and your modification uses the rear running lights as turn signals, the cruise will be getting its ground through the running light bulb filaments to ground.
The cruise would not turn on if the running lights are on.

kamikaze crusie control

Reply #12
the wire is yellow with green strips no its not original as for light mods for import,fog light must be added also white side lights which i have euro spec headlights with a side light bulb in.this y/g wire goes from the brake switch to the rear lights which again have bin cut and joined giving me brake lights the speed amp has still the origbuttstuff blocks not moded in any way.is it possible  multi function switch(where is it) has failed on this part of the circuit and the wire is a quick cheap fix?.oh by the way thanks for the circuit dia very helpfull

kamikaze crusie control

Reply #13
The multifunction switch (which includes the turn signal switches) is on the steering column.
Read my post #12 to see if it makes any sense. I must have been typing the same time you were.
Check if your running lights have any affect on the cruise.

kamikaze crusie control

Reply #14
I have a potential fix in mind that will require  you verifying some things at your end.
First off, turn on your headlights and see if that disables your cruise.