Skip to main content
Topic: Distracted Driver Collides With My XR7 (Read 8775 times) previous topic - next topic

Distracted Driver Collides With My XR7

This is what happens when a distracted driver in a Ford F250 Super Duty pick-up drifts out of his lane at 65mph and collides into the passenger side of my near perfect 1988 Cougar XR7 in San Antonio.  When the cops arrive he claims I crossed into his lane and caused the accident. 

BEFORE

AFTER

If I had a dash cam it would have caught this jerk colliding into me.  So I bought this one from Amazon for $79.95: Spy Tec A118-C Capacitor Edition Full 1080P HD Video Car Dashboard Camera. 

Reply #1
Wow that really sucks

I hate seeing nice cars get hit

Reply #2
That really stinks. Hope you can get it back in no time. I am acspoogeulating my own collision repair parts right now.
T-Birds can't fly.  Ask how I know...

Reply #3
How bad is the damage on the quarter? At least the rest looks fixable. Did you have collision insurance?

That car sure is nice. You don't see nice clean southern cougars that often. That certainly sucks.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #4
STANG8U

Wow that really sucks

I hate seeing nice cars get hit

Agreed. Especially nice old/vintage cars.

Reply #5
Wow that sucks. Hopefully you have some sort of collector vehicle policy. If so they should be able to fix your car and find the parts to repair it.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #6
Quote from: thunderjet302;449415
Wow that sucks. Hopefully you have some sort of collector vehicle policy. If so they should be able to fix your car and find the parts to repair it.

I maintain full coverage on the vehicle through AAA.  My claim was treated as a "no fault" accident because the other driver claims I collided into him.  However, the body shop AAA recommended said they can't find parts for it (bumper, fender, door) and gave me a check and "good luck".  I'm looking for a bumper, door, and fender in the "parts wanted" forum.

Reply #7
My ins co said same thing on a vehicle i had get hit. I called there hand and said show me. They couldn produce parts local gave me more money. It was a pita.
Good luck.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Reply #8
It's not hard to see the point of impact on the road where the tires break loose from the ground in a collission.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #9
Kafer79, when  I went to  a local yard here, there were a couple of 87 - 88 cougars, If I can get over there to make sure they're still there, I can price out the parts you need.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #10
Wow that really sucks man hopefully you can get her back to great condition

I've been watching a lot of dash cam crashes on YouTube lately lol, it's been making me want to get one as well. It would sure save your ass in this type of case.
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
Running Better Than Ever :burnout:

Reply #11
I'm getting a dash cam as well. It's like a gun, better to have it and never need it, than to need it and be screwed with no lube.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #12
Quote from: 1BadBird;449424
Kafer79, when  I went to  a local yard here, there were a couple of 87 - 88 cougars, If I can get over there to make sure they're still there, I can price out the parts you need.
.    Thatwould be awesome....PM me if they have an XR7.

Reply #13
Wow that is terrible.  I feel for you man.  Not in my T bird luckily, I was in my truck, when I had someone cross on me and I had to go into the grass to misshiznitting it head on.  I turned around and followed it while calling the sheriff.  A mile or so down the road it pulled over into a little convenience store.  Turned out to be a young girl who was still texting on her phone when I pulled up to her.  She had no idea I was even there.  I asked her if she knew what she did, she had no clue.  Sheriff was pulling in as I was leaving.  A dash cam is a good idea.  I have never felt I needed it, but after looking at your car, that could easily be my car.

Go Fast the first time.  The tickets the same.
86 Thunderbird 5.0.  All original good weather driver. Tbird Reg #53035
86 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather driver.  Tbird Reg # 58555
87 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather daily driver.  Tbird Reg # 64647

Reply #14
Quote from: Kafer79;449409

If I had a dash cam it would have caught this jerk colliding into me.  So I bought this one from Amazon for $79.95: Spy Tec A118-C Capacitor Edition Full 1080P HD Video Car Dashboard Camera. 

Yeah, everyone that wants an easier time should have a dashcam. I have three G1W cameras, which only cost about $42 shipped each for the most recent purchase of a genuine model now. Prices have come down a lot on good dashcams.
1988 Thunderbird Sport