Skip to main content
Topic: overheating issue (Read 5850 times) previous topic - next topic

overheating issue

Okay I have an 88 turbocoupe it's getting hot really really quick. At first it would get close to the red then come back down. Now it's not coming down at all and gets hot after a 5 minute drive.i thought it was the t-stat replaced that as well as the water pump while I was in there. Flushed coolant didn't look that bad. I've also replaced the coolant temp sensor. I've also noticed that the fan and radiator do not belong in the car. I don't know what it's from but it's zip tied in also changed oil and it looked fine. I found someone with an electric fan and radiator out of a fox mustang for less than $200 would it work in my car?

overheating issue

Reply #1
Does it overheat at freeway speeds? If so, its not the fan.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

overheating issue

Reply #2
No it doesn't it actually runs alright at highway speeds. I drove it all the way from Wisconsin to illinois and it was fine on the highway but would get hot in town. I didn't think it was kicking on so I just ran a power wire straight to the battery so its always on and it still gets hot.

overheating issue

Reply #3
Probably a bad fan or something blocking airflow then.

When i pulled my radiator back, i had weeds that had grown between the radiator and ad from when it sat in the previous owners back yard. It didn't overheat after, but ran a ton cooler after i cleaned all that  out.

Undo the two 3/8 bolts on the radiator tie down brackets next time you go to a car wash and hose down the radiator inbetween.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

overheating issue

Reply #4
Probably a bad fan or something blocking airflow then.

When i pulled my radiator back, i had weeds that had grown between the radiator and ad from when it sat in the previous owners back yard. It didn't overheat after, but ran a ton cooler after i cleaned all that  out.

Undo the two 3/8 bolts on the radiator tie down brackets next time you go to a car wash and hose down the radiator inbetween.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

overheating issue

Reply #5
when your running again and your dash is saying hot, turn off car and then fell down the radiator top to bottom everywhere you can physically reach.

half the core could be blocked off or something,, at least this will tell you if the rad is circulating all its individual channels.

next with a cold engine,-remove rad cap then start car, if you see water flowing then tstat is staying open,, some people are easily tricked and put the tstat in backwards as well.

overheating issue

Reply #6
Have you looked down into your radiator? Mine over heats quickly in town because the passage ways in the radiator are blocked by hard water build up. I have knocked off the build up I can see up top but I'm sure it is like that all the way down. Saving up for a new one.
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

overheating issue

Reply #7
Jcassity I did what you said the driver side of the radiator is cool and the passenger side by the upper radiator hose was hot then cool then hot.so it's the radiator?

overheating issue

Reply #8
Sounds like its at least partially blocked to me.

The radiator on my cars has always flowed passenger to drivers side, top to bottom. It should get progressively cooler with no hot(warmer) spots as it gets to the drivers side.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

overheating issue

Reply #9
Nobody seems to have answered your Mustang question.  You CAN use a Mustang radiator and fan, but don't use the 4cyl radiator, use the V8 radiator.  Both cars may be 4cyl, but yours has greater cooling needs.

overheating issue

Reply #10
If your car is mostly stock get one of these parts store replacement radiators: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MHT1/433556/01386.oap?year=1987&make=Ford&model=Thunderbird&vi=1430183&ck=Search_C2465_1430183_3405&pt=C2465&ppt=C0331 It should work great. Radiators do clog up over time. My factory radiator finally decided it had enough after 25 years and wouldn't cool the car at highway speed. Replaced it with a aluminum radiator with 2 one inch rows and it's been fine since.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

overheating issue

Reply #11
It's completely stock it's an auto :(

overheating issue

Reply #13
Quote from: SR7188;449399
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/SVE-RADKIT79M/1986-93-Mustang-50L-Complete-Aluminum-Radiator-Upgrade-Kit I was looking at this. I plan on doing a t5 swap fmic more boost later down the road

You don't need the hoses or thermostat housing from that kit. Plus the fans in that kit suck. Your stock fans (operating properly) are much better.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

overheating issue

Reply #14
I thought the hoses are the same? They say you need that housing for the duel fan setup or at least that's what I read in the reviews. So I should just piece something together if their is a fan you recommend let me know.