Skip to main content
Topic: overheating issue (Read 5851 times) previous topic - next topic

overheating issue

Reply #15
I've got a double speed fan off of a taurus hooked up using only low speed and it is cooling my car while its 100-105 outside. For $12 i think i did okay.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

overheating issue

Reply #16
If you don't plan on making it a full out race car just get a radiator from AutoZone or oriellys Like thunderjet said

I'm running one of these and it cool just fine on my car and were getting 105+ degree weather right now
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
Running Better Than Ever :burnout:

overheating issue

Reply #17
Yeah I'll probably jut buy that O'Reilly radiator. Then get that dual fan it's only $20 more. One of those fans flows better than the single one O'Reilly sells.

overheating issue

Reply #18
Okay I just replaced the radiator with one from O'Reilly. The gauge was still Ettinger up I'm the red. I took an infared thermometer like what you use to tell if food is at the right temperature pointed at the intake where the sensor is and it was at 180. The radiator by the upper hose was at 194. Isn't this normal? What does the gauge use is it the sensor if so I just replaced that.

overheating issue

Reply #19
ok,,

with a bone cold motor, remove radiator coolant fill cap

start car

does water move?- if yes then your tstat has failed or thermal'd
if no............

then once upon a time not too long ago someones name who shall not be spoken posted pics of water pump impeller blades that were basically corroded or eaten away.
We all then learned of a troubleshooting step to verify how many volts are inside the coolant.. yes im serious... never knew of such a thing till I read up in my manual.

long story short.... water pump has to be next step but...

-check for milky stuff in the oil and if yes - head gasket
-if no- then>>>

do you have a compression tester and if yes, take individual cylinder readings., especially if you ocassionally have some odd smoke out the tail end.

overheating issue

Reply #20
I've replaced the entire cooling system. Coolant temperature sensor, coolant temperature sender, t-stat, water pump and the radiator. I wired up the fan so it's always on  because it wouldn't kick on sometimes. I flushed the coolant it looked okay and changed the oil and it looked normal. I'm going to do a compression test in the next few days and if that checks out it has to be the gauge itself maybe it is running cool but the gauge isn't reading the resistance from the sender like it's supposed too.

overheating issue

Reply #21
Could be the irv in the dash then. My gauges read funky and would randomly read zero. Had a bad wire crimp on the ignition switch.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

overheating issue

Reply #22
Make sure your electric fan is running in the right direction. I bought a mustang that had an electric fan conversion that was hooked up backwards. It stayed moderately warm while stationary, but when you got moving it would get hot (since the fan was trying to blow out the grille instead of suck through).
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

overheating issue

Reply #23
Irv? I'll check that out as well coogarxr before I drop $160 on a freaking temperature gauge.

overheating issue

Reply #24
I finally did the compression test all of the cylinders were in the 139-142 area. So it's not the head gasket. I was wondering if the heater core was clogged would that cause it to overheat?

overheating issue

Reply #25
What he's trying to say is IVR.  Its the voltage regulator on the back of the cluster.  If it's malfunctioning, it would skew the bias of the gauge (a couple of them IIRC) causing a false reading.  Sometimes high, sometimes low, other times the gauges go completely dead.