Skip to main content
Topic: Rotating/Hideaway license plate holder... (Read 6480 times) previous topic - next topic

Rotating/Hideaway license plate holder...

So the other morning I woke up to find a ticket on my windsheild. Walk out to see what "I" had done "wrong". It was a ticket for no front license plate. Doh. I've gone 6 years and 4 speeding tickets with no ticket for my non-front license plate and then I get a "chicken sh*!" ticket as my dad would say.

My question: Since I hate the look of a front license plate, does anyone know where to find a holder that will flip/rotate 180 degrees to hide the plate away. I'm not trying to be james bond and I'm not going to do this to the rear. I just want the ability to flip the plate out when I'm parked or around a cop and hide it when I'm at a car show or something.

I've seen ones for street rods that fold under the car for shows and what not, but has anyone ever seen a rotating one? I would want it to look like the front of a 'vette when it is hiding (but my car's body color of course). Any one have ideas? It would be sweet if I could just flip a switch in the car that would flip the plate.

example:

Re: Rotating/Hideaway license plate holder...

Reply #1
seems pretty pointless to me. Cops are dicks anyways(well most). If they want to harass you they will. I keep getting the old "one of your tail light is out" and then when I get out to look, the cop taps it before I can see, and it majically lights back up. I get that kinda stuff all the time when they dont have something on me. Even if you do make one, or fix it, they will still get somethign on you.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
Cops are dicks anyways(well most).

Thanks for the love :drink:

I think the one you flip under is gonna be your best bet.  You could always hook up a small electrical servo motor to it and wire it to a switch somewhere in the car.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #3
no offense paul. None is pointed at you.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #4
I know ;)  Just havin some fun :D
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #5
I haven't had a problem yet, but if I ever get stopped for no front plate I'm gonna tell the cop the plate frames are obsolete(which they are, at least for the TCs). I understand VA has a exemption for having no front plate, if there is no place to mount it...

Reply #6
just busting balls is that ticket. . but i have thought about this subject also and havnt really came up with anything real solid of an idea. maybe ur flipping 180 isnt gonna work . like said b4 slide under may work
trick flow street heat intake , 24lbs injetors, ported GT-40's (Chip) long tube headers. and a Performance Automatic C4, with a hurst shifter!

Reply #7
check out the laws, because im MD, youre required to have a front tag
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #8
Screw those dick head cops. (the ones that are anyway)The best would to make that 180 flip front plate. Then ride around with it hidden and flip it when you get puller over. That way you could get a little fun out of it. How many times do you think that would happen before they just quit messing with you.  So  I say make it use it sell it. Just make sure you torure the cops with it. I guess we might have found a way to mess with them for no reason like they always seems to do to us.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #9
It'd have to be a pretty stupid cop to not be able to tell there's some sort of mechanism on the front of your car, and it would tale one helluva lot of work to make a 180 flip unit that integrates into the front bumper. The best bet would be to make something that flips under the bumper, then flips back up while driving (or parked on the street, as the case may be).

Or, ya could move to Nova Scotia, where you don't need a front plate :D The DMV phased 'em out about ten years ago, now they only give you one unless you get vanity plates, in which case they give you two but only one expiry sticker. Unfortunately my 'Bird was bought new back when they were required, so I'm stuck with a front plate bracket
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #10
The best bet would be to make something that flips under the bumper, then flips back up while driving (or parked on the street, as the case may be).
Oh, I've been piddling around for a long time trying to design something like that for some hideaway fog and driving lights I have, that would come out the big slots in the bottom of the bumper cover. Drivers in the middle, on diagonal pivoting rods, fogs on the outsides with some kind of fancy "delayed" linkage where they come straight down, then swing into position. The challenge is making it all work without cutting the rubber cover. Just another fantasy project I'll never actually get to.  :rolleyes:

If you don't mind losing the two middle support bars (they're probably broken anyway, if you've ever hit those concrete "stoppers" with the chin spoiler while parking), you'll have a huge hole to work with.
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #11
Here in Kansas you dont need front plates. They just seem like the biggest pain to have anyway. If their gonna pull you over they are gonna see your rear plate anyways.
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Reply #12
On SVT Performance there was a guy who made what you are talking about for the Cobra folks, you may try search there.
Ryan[/i][/COLOR]
1986 2R[/b] SVO
1984 T-Bird 5.0 (In Hibernation since 10/96)

Reply #13
getting my vanity plate tomorrow, so in kansas do you have to mount one on the front and back?  do you know cougrrr302

Reply #14
no just the front thats how it is here.
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit