Skip to main content
Topic: 315s on the cat (Read 6020 times) previous topic - next topic

315s on the cat

When I rebuilt the rear end in the car, I put axles out of a 97 mustang in the factory housing. Along with 3.73 gears. I had been running 17X9 wheels with 275s, but I upgraded to 17X10.5s, with 315/30s on them. All I had to do was remove the quad shocks. But other than that, I cleared the exhaust, the parking brake cables and all. So, if anyone is thinking about it, it can work. I am running 97 stang axles though, so that may be my ticket to clear everything. But they look shagy!
XXX
1988 Mercury cougar XR7- 302 bored .030 over, gt40p heads, F303, AlexsParts spring and seal kit, explorer upper and lower intake, 70mm tb, maf conversion, 75mm maf, fenderwell cai, 24 lb injectors, T5 conversion, bbk h pipe, Slp lm, 3.73 rear, 4 wheel disc conversion, 5 lug conversion. :D :D

315s on the cat

Reply #1
Would you be so kind as to share the offset and back spacing on the wheels as well as the diameter and the specs on the tires?

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

315s on the cat

Reply #2
Those are tasty looking!  What wheels are they?

Geoff
T-Birds can't fly.  Ask how I know...

315s on the cat

Reply #3
Those are some wide meats!  It really looks great!  My tired old 5.0 HO has a hard enough time getting 245's to spin!  I'd have unlimited traction with those tires.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

315s on the cat

Reply #4
Quote from: Aerocoupe;446928
Would you be so kind as to share the offset and back spacing on the wheels as well as the diameter and the specs on the tires?

Darren

Sure thing Darren. I went to http://www.rimsntires.com and on the left side of the page there is a tab for size comparer. Once there I just put in the specs of the tires I have been running which were 275/40 on a 17X9 with a 24mm offset and a backspace of 6 inches. Thay was put in "package 1". Then package 2, I put in the specs for the wheels and tires I wanted. They are 315/35s on a 17X10.5 wheel with a 27mm offset and a backspace of 6.8 inches. After it compares them, it gives you how much close in the combo will be to brakes, suspension components and so forth, along with how much further out they will stick, and also how much the diameter will change (which mine did not change at all thus wheel speed should stay the same.
1988 Mercury cougar XR7- 302 bored .030 over, gt40p heads, F303, AlexsParts spring and seal kit, explorer upper and lower intake, 70mm tb, maf conversion, 75mm maf, fenderwell cai, 24 lb injectors, T5 conversion, bbk h pipe, Slp lm, 3.73 rear, 4 wheel disc conversion, 5 lug conversion. :D :D

315s on the cat

Reply #5
Quote from: Lodemia;446930
Those are tasty looking!  What wheels are they?

Geoff
Thanks Geoff, I like em too!! Hehe. Vinnietbird gave me the site he got his wheels from. Which was OEWheelsolutions, if I'm not mistaken. They are the 5 lug cobra r wheels. They are a deep dish rim with polished lip and a black face. Although I am planning on painting the face charcoal gray along with the front tires too. I only bought the black ones because they were the cheapest. Haha. I paid 89 a piece for them.

315s on the cat

Reply #6
Quote from: 50tbrd88;446932
Those are some wide meats!  It really looks great!  My tired old 5.0 HO has a hard enough time getting 245's to spin!  I'd have unlimited traction with those tires.

Yeah I was worried bout them being too much...but screw it. I like them and I found out by accident yesterday that the freshly rebuilt and somewhat partly modified engine has enough guts to break them loose. Haha. They ride very nice though. No wheel hop yet without the quad shocks either.

315s on the cat

Reply #7
And incase anyone wanted to know, they are Sumitomo HTR Zs. Paid 142 a piece on tire rack.

315s on the cat

Reply #8
Thanks for the link and the info!

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

315s on the cat

Reply #9
NICE!!  I am going to check out that site my self too.

315s on the cat

Reply #10
The 94-98 Mustang axles should be the same length as your originals, so that dimension would be unaffected.  A note about those Sumitomo 315/35R17, lots of the Mustang guys use them because the pricing is very attractive, and they will fit where other 315s wouldn't ... of you compare the actual dimensions on them to other manufacturers' 315/35R17 rubber, you will see that they are definitely smaller.  Which works out well in this case, looks great!

How much more clearance would there be to the inside, exhaust, brake cables, inner wheelwell?  Just wondering for myself for later, if I wanted to go with 10 to 11" wide wheels with some more backspacing to tuck them in a bit further.

cheers
Ed
84 Mustang SVO
95 Jaguar XJR

315s on the cat

Reply #11
Quote from: fast Ed;446951
The 94-98 Mustang axles should be the same length as your originals, so that dimension would be unaffected.  A note about those Sumitomo 315/35R17, lots of the Mustang guys use them because the pricing is very attractive, and they will fit where other 315s wouldn't ... of you compare the actual dimensions on them to other manufacturers' 315/35R17 rubber, you will see that they are definitely smaller.  Which works out well in this case, looks great!

How much more clearance would there be to the inside, exhaust, brake cables, inner wheelwell?  Just wondering for myself for later, if I wanted to go with 10 to 11" wide wheels with some more backspacing to tuck them in a bit further.

cheers
Ed

That's interesting about the axles. I thought they were a hair longer due to the abs exciter ring. I guess I never really checked into it further though. I definitely agree with the tires though. I saw places like latemodelrestoration have the Nitto NT555s for $218, and while I won't be daily driving it or racing it or anything, the price difference was obvious for me and the whole time sumitomo has a 4 star rating on the HTR Zs. So I ran with them.

As far as the clearance goes, once I removed my quad shocks, and mounted the wheel on, I hugged the wheel and ran my hands around the backside of the tire and my fingers had room the whole way. Now it is close to the parking brake cable. I would say under 2 inches. The exhaust is further than that yet. I'm unaware for running 11 inch wheels. If you were putting 315s on them, I would think they would have a good chance at clearing. But I'd be interested to know that as well. So if you do go that route, I'd like to know how you make out. Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Adrian

315s on the cat

Reply #12
I'm running 305s on 15 inch rims and they barely clear my exhaust before the rub so kudos to you

315s on the cat

Reply #13
Wow you didn't have to roll your fenders?
I have the same size tires but they are nittos and I'm using 96 stang axles (same as 97).  I had to roll the fenders to get em to stop rubbing but they haven't rubbed since.
You really can't beat the traction these tires have, sometimes I feel they have too much traction lol. I can still get them to spin with a hard launch though.
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
Running Better Than Ever :burnout:

315s on the cat

Reply #14
Quote from: Ramos617;446981
Wow you didn't have to roll your fenders?
I have the same size tires but they are nittos and I'm using 96 stang axles (same as 97).  I had to roll the fenders to get em to stop rubbing but they haven't rubbed since.

No I didn't have to roll them. However, I forgot to add that I am running the 97 stang springs as well. Although I think they are a little lower than the factory springs. But yeah not close to my fenders.