Skip to main content
Topic: Smog ports (Read 1247 times) previous topic - next topic

Smog ports

Hi guys,
Ya know those smog ports on the back of the cylinder heads? yes, I know trick flow makes block off inserts for this. But what I wanna know is, can you install those WITH the engine still in the car? Or is the firewall too close?

Any help is appreciated

Kyle
1986 Ford Thunderchicken, 5.0 AOD w/ Shift kit,  354,XXX miles. 1-Family owned. Original engine+trans.
8.8 Disc Rear w/ 3.73 Posi. CHE Control Arms. '04 Cobra brakes all around. 2000 Cobra R wheels. Tubular front LCA's. MM Steering Shaft. Unlocked Speedo, Lowering springs, Eibach sway bars front and rear. Ram air intake.

Smog ports

Reply #1
You can just take off the existing pipe with the engine in the car.

You can also flip that pipe (or cut the pipe off and pinch shut or seal the ends) and reinstall them instead. I've also heard a spark plug is the same thread, but i haven't verified that.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Smog ports

Reply #2
Yes, you can do the flip with the engine in the car
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Smog ports

Reply #3
I broke spark plugs off and used the metal threads before, I also cut the pipe and flipped it to. Both work.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Smog ports

Reply #4
They are 5/8" coarse thread, you can use some short bolts in that diameter with exhaust cement on them, a bit less ghetto than busting off spark plugs.  LOL

cheers
Ed
84 Mustang SVO
95 Jaguar XJR

Smog ports

Reply #5
Thanks guys!!
1986 Ford Thunderchicken, 5.0 AOD w/ Shift kit,  354,XXX miles. 1-Family owned. Original engine+trans.
8.8 Disc Rear w/ 3.73 Posi. CHE Control Arms. '04 Cobra brakes all around. 2000 Cobra R wheels. Tubular front LCA's. MM Steering Shaft. Unlocked Speedo, Lowering springs, Eibach sway bars front and rear. Ram air intake.