Skip to main content
Topic: Thick gray/blueish smoke....New pics (Read 19060 times) previous topic - next topic

Thick gray/blueish smoke....New pics

Reply #60
Looking good man

Reply #61
Looking good. Hopefully this solves the smoking issue :).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #62
It freakin' better !!! There was puddled oil in 4 cylinders. No bueno.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #63
Are you gonna put on new valve seals, or were they new when you put those heads on?
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #64
The heads aren't even a year old.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #65
I used a Roll Master timing set and the German made chain suggested by Ed Curtis. Holy . I've never seen a timing chain that tight. Awesome,, heavy, and high quality. The Cloyes timing set can't even compare to the Roll Master with the German chain.

Reply #66
Quote from: vinnietbird;447333
I used a Roll Master timing set and the German made chain suggested by Ed Curtis. Holy . I've never seen a timing chain that tight. Awesome,, heavy, and high quality. The Cloyes timing set can't even compare to the Roll Master with the German chain.

Good to know. I'll have to pick one up if/when I ever do a cam swap.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #67
There is virtually no play in that chain.

Reply #68
Quote from: vinnietbird;447347
There is virtually no play in that chain.

Probably makes the FRPP chain in my Thunderbird look like .

Reply #69
The chain I removed had less than 800 miles on it (from the old engine), and it had a bit more play than I would care to see. Like I said, I have never seen one like this before.

Reply #70
A really tight chain wouldn't be a bad thing would it?
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #71
Installation instructions here:

http://www.romacusa.com/tech.html

I did not see you list a part number or I would have drilled down a little further so see if the typical 1/4" or so of movement is their rule of thumb as well.  In all honesty just call or email Ed at FTI and ask him what is acceptable.  More than likely they go on super tight so that after break in they will have just a little slack in them.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #72
I'll send Ed a message this evening. I'm going to finish it all up Saturday if everything goes my way. New O2 sensors are coming today. SO, All I gotta do is get the parts installed, add some water to the radiator, twist the key. Timing and idle reset are on that list as well.

Reply #73
Tomorrow list of things to do.....

-install driveshaft
-new X-Pipe with O2 sensors
-connect wire to low oil level sender on the side of the oil pan
-alternator and bracket
-crank and water pump pulleys
-connect fan to radiator
-install radiator
-upper intake
-injectors
-connect harnesses
-CAI
-water in radiator
-connect battery
-clutch cable

Then it should be about ready to start, time and see what happens.

Reply #74
Did Ed get back with you?

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp