Skip to main content
Topic: Finally got something done (Read 2587 times) previous topic - next topic

Finally got something done

It's not much, but progress is progress. I got my new Foglights in, and they look awesom. Too awesome, acutally, since they show just how bad my head and marker lights really look. Anyway, pics.  :hick:

I also got the intercooler off, to get ready to run the new vac lines for that BV. So I decided to get some pics of the turbos. The little guy, and his big brother. While I'm at it, I'm going to mount those electric fans on the i/c that I've had for a couple years now. I hate having an i/c that's useless below 60, so I'm going to get some continuous air flowing through it.

Re: Finally got something done

Reply #2
You scratch my back. :giggle:

You send me a drivers side tailight, and I'll send you my moral support.

Reply #3
sure thing bud, I have an extrea passenger side tail. and a cracked drivers....  where did you get those lights?

Reply #4
sure thing bud, I have an extra passenger side tail. and a cracked drivers.... where did you get those lights?

Reply #5
Well, I have a good passenger and a cracked drivers too. :p

I picked them up at liquidation world for $20.00. (AM is selling them for $120us + shipping). They look identical to the stock ones, and don't require the bracket, since they're top mounting, instead of rear. Why did Ford design that lamp bracket out of 1/4" stamped steel plate? It wheighs over 2lbs just for a fog light mount. Overengineering.

Reply #6
So, oldraven, I take it that I'll be able to buy some cheapy aftermarket fog lamps to fit into my TC bumper and it won't be a pain in the ass to do? I stole the TC bumper, cover, and header panel from my '84 before i junked it so I could put it on the 85 and have fog lamps.  I was concerned because somehow someone bent one of the monstrous stock brackets and I was afraid I'd have to get the torch out to bend it back... but you say it can be eliminated?

Reply #7
compliment you fog light well though.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #8
I don't know exactly how they are setup on the 1st gens, but this might explain how I eliminated the bracket on mine. The stock lamp had a rear facing mounting stud, while the new ones have an adjustable top facing one. I needed the room too, since the bracket is only so high, and drilling through fibreglass is a lot easier than steel. I just unbolted the bracket (red), cut holes in the fibreglass (green) with a dremel and bolted it in from the top.

Very easy. I'm no Mr. Fab, so if I can pull it off, you should be able to. ;)

This sketch is probably nowhere near what the actual piece looks like, but I did the best I could with what I remembered of the job. (the downfall of drinking beer and hootin while you work)

Reply #9
Veddy cool... something I'll be doing once I get the motivation to work on my T-bird again.

Reply #10
I picked up a set of fog lights at Harbor Freight for $7, and they look pretty close to the stock TC ones. They mount in a similar way as oldraven's. I'll have to do a closer comparison with the Bird in the next couple of days.
1984 Cougar Convertible
1988 Cougar XR-7

Reply #11
Andrew, those are precisely the ones I have in mind!  I almost bought them at HF when I was there.

Reply #12
I was so disgusted with the cloudy corners that I got out the dremel and the buffing wheel. As you can see, I had tried a long time ago, but had no idea about the finnesse involved with polishing plastic. :yuck: Thus, the nasty swirlies in the lower corner. I'll have to sand that part down and polish it over again.

And a few pics of the girl where she's at. Everything runs, and the battery isn't dead, but I do have my trickle charger on while I work. The car is my garage stereo, but the factory amps have a tendancy to drain the battery........ all the time. Really, it's happened like six times since I've owned it.

Reply #13
you thought about doing the relay mods for your lights? ive been thinking about it, i just dont feel like buying the relays and running wires yet
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #14
Relay mods? :dunno: What is this 'relay mod' you speak of? And why do I want it before I even know what it is?