Skip to main content
Topic: Evolution II..... misc stuff ..... July 26, 2012 (Read 58251 times) previous topic - next topic

Evolution II..... misc stuff ..... July 26, 2012

Reply #105
On early  console cars it plugs in under the drivers seat , I added a passenger side power seat to my 84 TC about 19 or 20 years ago.

Consolette cars I think the connector is under the carpet .
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #106
So I had to find out....

It all started out harmless enough.
remove some moulding, remove some bondo, remove some panels........Wait a min....... that's way more  then I expected to do...lol

Apparently, It's easier to slap a barrel of bondo on something instead of actually fixing something..

so I got out my trusty hammer and chisel......Holy .

I'm actually replacing the fender, but I had to know how much filler was on it.

So with that done to the point to satisfy me, I moved forward with the investigation...

to my surprise, the door bottoms are in great condition

so I kept on down the side of the car.

By this time I was set to try and do something about the horrible bodywork on this car..
So I started with the fender
to my surprise, I found this taking the wheel off

I guess in the grand scheme of things, a mushroomed lug bolt is the least of my worries..lol
This is one big gobbin tire if I must say.

started removing the inner and outer fender....some pics of that....

And again to my surprise, I found very little rust on this car.

Looks as though this rebuild will be a piece of cake...
New, old rustfree fenders

and bolted on the car to size up the damage on the door
I'm kinda liking this brown color. lol

so here's what we have. 1 pretty crunched door.

and while I was at it.....I found a ton more filler on the back for no reason at all.

here's my replacement panels for this end of the car

and another door jamb to fix the rust holes

So that's my story for today. Looks like a nice and quick strip and repair so far. Way less repairs then my 87.
I have a few options to repair the door.
1. pull it back out with a stud welder and do a lot of hammering and shrinking...
2. get another door to replace it...not forgetting that I need to chop the top off the door, and do all the custom work to make a replacement convertible door.
3. get another skin from a rustfree door, and replace it. and pay to have someone find it, cut the rest of the door off to make it lighter and smaller, and ship it to me without damage.

I'll be thinking about what to do as I'm stripping the paint off the entire side of the car, which will be next on the list. I guess this is the official start of the E2 restoration... Should make an exciting winter for all...
until next time...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #107
Hey Jerry, just to let you know...when my convertible got stripped down we found a lot of bondo in the rear quarters as well. Technically it should only be at the top, where the factory roof was chopped, but I did find some lower. Not nearly as bad as what you found though. I think that Cat gave up a few of its lives before...

Reply #108
Oh man!  Updates on the convertible!  Glad to see you get started on this one.

Obviously, you need someone more interested in the mechanical stuff to help you finish the 87.  I wish I was closer, I'd be over there buttoning that up right now. :)

Keep it up!

Reply #109
I figured you'd finish the '87 first. A little back and forth doesn't hurt. Compared to the '87,this is cake. Good luck. I'll bet you won't need much. I'll do what I can when you do need them. Go ONYFTA !!!!
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #110
Quote from: EricCoolCats;344438
Hey Jerry, just to let you know...when my convertible got stripped down we found a lot of bondo in the rear quarters as well. Technically it should only be at the top, where the factory roof was chopped, but I did find some lower. Not nearly as bad as what you found though. I think that Cat gave up a few of its lives before...

All the filler so far, seems to be right under the pearl paint. So it was definitely after the chop.
According to the carfax report. It seems that it has about 6 lives left.
I may strip the entire side tomorrow. So we'll see what else we can find under there
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #111
Quote from: vinnietbird;344447
I figured you'd finish the '87 first. A little back and forth doesn't hurt. Compared to the '87,this is cake. Good luck. I'll bet you won't need much. I'll do what I can when you do need them. Go ONYFTA !!!!

I need some parts first. gotta save up. plus I got an intake on it's way for Christmas. also need headers and a full exhaust, hard Fuel lines for the engine bay, all that good stuff.
I have everything for the vert, so it's kinda free right now
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #112
Hey, good to see that fender lined up good. The brown on those fenders was the only "good" paint on that car. Let me know if you need help finding anything. I am setup alot better to do that kind of thing now. There was a nice 83 or 84 thunder bird with 35k on it with a good vent window. I don't know what kind of trouble converting it to a convertible would be though.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #113
Start making your list Jerry.I'll get what I can for you.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #114
Thanks guys, I think the only thing I may need would be a door skin off a rust free car. But I think I can pull it all out without any problems.
Other then that, I don't really see anything I may need for this car. Everything is there. the inner lips on the doors and trunklid are pretty nice. It just has a real py paint job with poor bodywork on it... This is a gem compared to the 87 and I'm sure others would have sped it. But being #14 of 16 made.....I would never do that. Besides... from what I have heard, This car and another, are the only ones accounted for out of those made in 1985, So I must restore it back to it's original beauty. I think I could probably have it ready to paint by summer if this is the worst of it.  I think I'll start to strip the rest later today.....stay tuned
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #115
Did a little more work today
removed some stuff so I can strip the paint off,

May need a new one of these..

A view where the chopped off the upper half of the door, filled it

Glad I bought those new chrome mirrors during the summer.. Thanks Eric, that Ebay store really helped a lot of people out.

Removing the 1/4 window chrome.

So I need another limit switch for the 1/4 window, but I can still make it work for right now..lol

So I stripped almost all the paint off the side of the car.. Took about 3 1/2 hrs to do this

Here's where they chopped the top and welded some 1/4" to the top of the cut and bondo'd it..I took out 1/2" of filler here...They really didn't need that much to do the job.. There should be more of a body line when I get finished up here. I'm going to fix this up better then the way they did it.

Overall, I thought there would be a lot more rust, and holes. This will all be pretty easy to repair.

Next time, I should have the new panels welded on and ready for filler....
Possibly next weekend
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #116
For spending time in Illinois that car is pretty solid underneath. Then again I think you have more salt in Buffalo than we do here ;). I'm really glad my car is from California. I'd be in trouble if I bought a car from the Chicago area that wasn't garaged over the winter.....
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #117
I'm guessing that this car didn't see a lot of winter driving... The rust holes are probably from the 1/4 windows not being sealed very well. the window on this side is in crooked, and the dew wipes are not touching the window near the Pass. door, and the salt air and rains from Florida didn't help it. The car was in Miami for a bit in the early years of 2000.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #118
Awesome fast work !!! Are you going with the factory color?

Reply #119
Not sure what color yet....It needs to go good with a red interior though
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook