Skip to main content
Topic: Stuff ive been up to...*pics* (Read 2353 times) previous topic - next topic

Stuff ive been up to...*pics*

since i dont post much about my cars, because i never feel the need, i decided to make a small thread about some of the things im doing right now

ive been gathering exhaust components for the TC, i have a 3" downpipe from Stinger, and i have a Dynomax ler, i need to sell some stuff so i can finish up the exhaust, i have emmissions in augest

ive been working on the 140mph speedo conversion, right now im trying to get the gauge faces the way i want them, right now, im not liking how the light passes through the black, i havnt found a solution yet, and ive been just half assing the faces, because untill i find a solution to the light bleeding through, im not putting much efford into the test faces

It's Gumby's fault.

Re: Stuff ive been up to...*pics*

Reply #1
why dont you just use a black sticker, or electrical tape on the black parts? Would take forever to cut it out and stuff, But you could do it easily.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
id have to do it on the back, and id have to do it to every gauge, id prefer to find a way to do it via the computer/printer, so i dont spend 20 hours just prepping the faces, ya know
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #3
my old highschool has a vynl cutting machine that you just plop designs in and away you go.. come in all kinds of colours and i'm 100% sure light odesn't pass through it.

if school wasn't out already i'd go and cut a face for ya.

Reply #4
How loud is that exhaust going to be?

Reply #5
Quote from: jasontbird
How loud is that exhaust going to be?

Should be a bit quieter now right? I mean considering you've been driving around with no ler and all. . .  :rolleyes:

Reply #6
Quote from: baXo
my old highschool has a vynl cutting machine that you just plop designs in and away you go.. come in all kinds of colours and i'm 100% sure light odesn't pass through it.

if school wasn't out already i'd go and cut a face for ya.

the same thought occured to me way back when joefriday was inventing the 140 speedo mod.  im sure he has the solutions you need.  I think he may offer you a trun key speedo with a core fairly cheap considering what motorsports wants for them.  I think it calls for a gear swap and a face lift and thats about it.

Im not sure if he tried the vinal thing or not, my brother in law owns a vinal cutter as well, wonder if that would block back light, IT should

Reply #7
capacitor swap and a face

as for it being loud, itll probably be as loud as it is now, i have no catback on the car, just a downpipe with a cat, but itll be rear exit, so itll be quieter in the car

cant really say itll do too much ling
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #8
Quote from: Tbird232ci
right now, im not liking how the light passes through the black, i havnt found a solution yet, and ive been just half assing the faces, because untill i find a solution to the light bleeding through
spray the back with black spray paint and se the areas you want the light to show through with a razor knife..  thats what I would do

Reply #9
Quote from: 88turbo
spray the back with black spray paint and se the areas you want the light to show through with a razor knife.. thats what I would do

That is actually a very good idea. I'll have to do that when I finally get my retro-140 gauges done...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #10
If you didn't like the idea of sing with a knife, you could use some petroleum jelly to cover the areas were you don't want the paint to touch and then spray it black. When the paint dries use a rag to wipe off the jelly. No paint will go through to were the jelly sits.
It may also be easier than guesstimating where to se.

Reply #11
very true, sing could also damage where the light would go through causing an annoying image  :nono:

Reply #12
Or, you could just sand off the old face of the 85 mph speedometer, and use it's light diffuser behind the new face..  That's what I recommend.

Joe

Reply #13
thats what i did

the light shines through the white without problem, and its nice and green, but the light shines through the black, nice and green, which is less than desirable
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #14
easier way is to mask off the areas you want white with masking tape(just tape off the large areas and take a razor and cut on the outlines of the white,will show through the masking tape, and peel away what you want to be black)and spray with spray paint. thats what i did with the custom set i did up.(working on pics. no digital camera)
I love it when a plan comes together!!!-Hanibal Smith (A-Team)