Skip to main content
Topic: 87 "coug" resto winter project (Read 85216 times) previous topic - next topic

87 "coug" resto winter project

Reply #360
got the motor trucking along, those home made permenant lift point brackets i made worked like a charm. they will stay with the engine.
30$ a pair if interested.

Reply #361
all bolted down, CW mounts worked perfectly. 
apparently the clearance for the TQ converter to the crank openning (where the converter nipples inside the crank) that tolerance is so perfect that the layer of paint i had put on was hosing me up and i had to pull it back out.  I sanded the paint off and then added some anti-sieze.

all dropped in now

Reply #363
question...........

my transmission double hump rear mount........
can this thing be put on backwards?

reason i ask is that the way it is now its choking off my rear transmission pan bolts badly.

the two bolts from my trans rubber mount **ALL THE WAY TO THE REAR"" of my cross member slotted holes.

DO i just pry bar the cross member towards the rear some?
Ill get a pic if needed.

Reply #364
It can go in backwards. I can't remember correct orientation, but the bigger hump goes passenger side I believe.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #365
for a single pipe / single ler the trans cross member does favor the pass side with a larger hump.
for single pipe, the crossmember does "sorta have" two humps but yes the pass side is larger.

for dual exhaust , double hump cross member which is what i have, i did not notice any hump size difference.

Reply #366
im not really sure what i did here, what i know is that i bought in two separate cases "v8 double hump" transmission cross members and think the one i have installed is for a v6 maybe? 

the one on the floor is offset back to the rear, matches the type i have in my 20th also.... so it looks like i messed up and installed the wrong one.

the humps on both cross members are identical though...

Reply #367
Yeah, looks like you need to have the one offset to the rear installed if you want access to the transmission pan bolts. Or cut the welds and weld it back up in the rear most position. Those look just like the ford motorsport double hump cross member I ordered.

Reply #368
i pulled down a few fuel rails, plans are to use the 24# ones.

got some questions but broke each out into its own post, listing pro's or cons, 

which fuel rail / regulator combo should i go with.

motor is 331 , 30 over bore 302 formerly 88bird block.

Reply #369
this fuel rail is farily standard for 5.0L, however,
it has a fitting next to the regulator that seems it should hold a shrader valve for fuel pres testing.
the feeder lines do not have a shrader valve.

has a 3 bolt regulator which is compatible with the CFI 3.8 or 5.0L which all oem were adjustable by allen wrench, aftermarket were not.

Reply #370
this one is marked F8....xxx pn.
i think its the explorer fuel rail.

fuel rail has built in shrader valve fp test port.

the feeder lines do not have a shrader fuel pres test valve.

has a 2 bolt regulator

lines come in from driver side,, seems like a rather hard fitment.
I like the idea if fuel feeds coming in from the rear though.

Reply #371
no markings on this anywhere,

has a 3 bolt regulator which is compatible with the CFI 3.8 or 5.0L which all oem were
adjustable by allen wrench, aftermarket were not.

no shrader valve fp test port

Reply #372
this one seems stock, marked as F4xxx

has two bolt fp reg.

has shrader fp test valve

Reply #373
here are a couple CFI FPR which are 3 bolt and adjustable, fit the 3 bolt rails but do not need vac presure.

I seem to think that i would "want" an adjustable FPR,, right?

so, which fuel rail do i go with,,,,?

Reply #374
I like the idea of an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, but I probably wouldnt use one.

The vacuum is essentially an built in adjustable regulator. When you are on the gas, you lose vacuum, it automatically adjust fuel pressure to suit. The computer knows what it needs. You start messing with the fuel pressure,bit no longer does.

The computer can only compensate for about 10% difference from the oem tune. That's part of the reason I hate the 10% ethonal garbage we have here. It makes up a whole 7% leaving you for just 3% or so.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com