Skip to main content
Topic: 87 "coug" resto winter project (Read 85195 times) previous topic - next topic

87 "coug" resto winter project

Reply #390
Quote from: jcassity;464799
my 20th test port is on the fuel rail adaptor line, not actually on the fuel rail

Stock one on the 87-88 5.0 cars is in that location.

On 86 cars the test port is by the FPR. About a decade ago when I did the HO swap I used a fuel rail out of an 86 5.0 Cougar, because it looked better than the one on my car. Since then I have had 2 fuel pressure test ports.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #391
got the tank to engine bay fuel lines rounted.
This is a 3.8L original design so i will be pfte or whatever plastic line all the way up to the engine bay.

the 3.8L design gives you a lot of extra fuel line.
I am considering relocating the fuel filter up in the engine bay , it makes better sense there anyway.
I just have to find a spot for it.

Reply #392
Quote from: jcassity;464786
with the help of my pal Rocky!

That's one BIG kitty.......Mainpuppies perhaps??

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #393
Quote from: 1BadBird;464812
That's one BIG kitty.......Mainpuppies perhaps??

Looks like it to me. ;)
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #394
i have no idea,, we discovered a batch of kittens in the woodshed and the mom saw us discover them.
she moved them and a week later i found 2 dead kittens in the gravel along the footer of our house in the fall and a live one.  one seemed to move a tad, then all of a sudden it stopped moving.  I felt like a gentle giant with this little life in my had and tried to move my finger in and out on its heart to start it up again.  I even made my hand in to a small funnel shape and placed it on his open mouth to gently blow in air, he's gone. 

heard  tiny thing noises from the other corner of the house where a drain line was and some s lumber i had lying along it.

there we found another one alive, he was eating dirt.  mom nowhere to be found.  its like 39deg outside.

this one was so young he wasn't  able to poo on his own yet, we learned thats why moms lick the kitten belly from thier kneck on down to thier tail.  it forces the poo to move along and expel.  Brit learned how to "poo" a kitten then we trained him to bottle feed.  i think back on it and figure this one was on his way out , maybe he had that day but night fall would have taken him. 

he remembers the cold, we think his body was near death at the time we found him.  I have a theory that his body faught off cold so hard that it exhausted something inside him, something that used up so much of his body that to this day that ablity has decayed, and that makes it difficult to stay warm on his own.  he gets very cold easily.

as a kitten he slept on my neck, as he grew i would wake up having a hard time getting air myself.  now his almost full grown i guess, i suspet he has another year of growing to do.  we named him rocky.

so... over time i have lost all my dogs, and i figured this cat would make a good garage cat.  I have trained him to act like a dog, i have two cats acting like dogs now.  I whistle and and he comes running.  I take a bath and he's right there.  He can run up my leg and perch on my shoulders and just chill.  he chased sticks i throw and every so often he will bring them back.  he pretty much follows me around the yard all the time.

stupid cat!!!

Reply #395
Looks like you're having fun with those fuel rails. On the HO intake installed on my TC I used the one from my wrecked Sport Coupe. I'm changing over to a BBK fuel rail with a Kirban adjustable regulator on the 97 Mountaineer intake I plan to install. Supply is 1/2in, return is 3/8in. I think.

I'm going to order that fuel level transmitter from Summit and solve my fuel quantity issue. Ticks me off every time I look at the gauge. Any advice?

Nice looking cat. I have a feral kitten from a animal rescue lady down in San Diego. Spent his first 6 years traveling with me, living in my trailer on jobsites. He has the same cold problem your cat has. He's named Smokie, black and can't stand the cold. Lucky for him we live in Nevada, only cold for a couple of months. Normally sleeps under covers during the day in his Temperpedic cat bed. He's an indoor cat, only goes outside in the yard under supervision. Follows me everywhere, does not like the wife.
1987 Turbo Coupe, 306, Trick Flow Track Heat heads, Comp Cam, Trick Flow Pistons, Eagle Rods, Center Force clutch, T-5, 8.8 w/373 gears, and a bunch more

Reply #396
tommy,
YES,
see this link, solves the fuel sending unit problems.
keep in mind there is another summit option for full digital clusters , this one is for buttstuffog clusters though.
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?40003-Fuel-sending-unit-now-available-for-83-88-buttstuffog-guage-birds-amp-cougs&highlight=

Reply #397
Fuel filter relocation mod.

took fuel filter mounting braket from the rear passanger side and moved that whole object up to the engine bay.

The purpose is to make it convienent while doing other PM work on the car, the filter is right there easy peasy to get to.
Not saying its hard to get to now, it just has always kinda urked me you gotta crawl on the ground to do that to!.

I thought long and hard about using other cars i know of who also put fuel filters up in the engine bay.
seems there were a few rules...........
-none were attached to the interior forward of the strut tower
-none were attached to a radiator core support
-some were connected aft of the strut towers
-most are directly bolted to the engine
-all were kept a good distance from exhaust heat
-none i know of were positioned "lower" than the exhast like i have done.

this mod should be safe and keep heat off the filter.

we have no smog pump going in so i used that area to mount the filter mounting part.

Reply #399
Looks like it should work. Got your link bookmarked. I replaced my TC cluster with AutoMeter gauges. Fuel quantity is for a Ford.
Do you now what size gas tan came on the Turbo Coupe?
Quote from: jcassity;464841
tommy,
YES,
see this link, solves the fuel sending unit problems.
keep in mind there is another summit option for full digital clusters , this one is for buttstuffog clusters though.
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?40003-Fuel-sending-unit-now-available-for-83-88-buttstuffog-guage-birds-amp-cougs&highlight=
1987 Turbo Coupe, 306, Trick Flow Track Heat heads, Comp Cam, Trick Flow Pistons, Eagle Rods, Center Force clutch, T-5, 8.8 w/373 gears, and a bunch more

Reply #400
size wont matter but 19gal is one,, then 22gal was another.

i was able to replace my old 19gal tank with the 22gal and the original straps worked fine.
the 22gal is taller.

the fuel sending unit wont care much about how deep your tank is,, the wire to the float can accomodate a farily deep tank and from that point its a matter of bending the float wire to get it graduated properly.

the original sender is designed good but, has its issues.  It does have a boat load of more resistive graduations than the Summit unit but, ohms is ohms and voltage drop is voltage drop, it wont matter, your buttstuffog guage will work out fine with the summit unit.

if  anyone wants to buy that summit unit but doesnt feel comfortable with the modification, i can do the mod no charge, you just need to have it shipped to me, then cover shipping to you when im done.

Reply #401
i couldnt stop, i had to solve an access issue ive had trouble with in the past on our cars OEM stock fuel presure regulator.

here i am using a stock adjustable regulator but moved all the mounting hardware to the top so its easy to get to.

i can provide a template if there is interest from others.

Reply #402
Does that regulator have the vacuum nipple on it?

Reply #404
Are you sure you want to use that on an EFI engine?

The vacuum control adjusts the fuel-rail pressure based on the amount of vacuum.
The objective is to keep the difference in pressure between the fuel-rail and the manifold the same.

The EEC controls the amount of fuel by varying how long it keeps the injector open.
If the pressure difference stays the same, you get the same amount of squirt per millisecond of time.