Skip to main content
Topic: New to the forums - '88 Tbird 5.0 LX (Read 6111 times) previous topic - next topic

New to the forums - '88 Tbird 5.0 LX

Been on the forums for a while but this is my first post. Bought an '88 Bird from the original owner this past summer when looking for a car to replace my truck, paid $1700 for it and drove it home. Fox body T-bird's and Cougars are as rare as rocking horse poo around here. I only see 1 other on the road, a very clean '87 - '88 Turbocoupe.

A little history. I grew up around Tbirds, when I was little my fathers car was an '86 Tbird, then an '84, then a '93 after that one. I bought myself a beat up '90 SC 35th edition when I was 17, I didn't get a chance to get it street legal before I was forced to sell it, it was too rusty anyway. And now, I have my '88. VERY little rust. There is a small spot on the passenger fender and rear quarter. Other than that this thing is very solid. All original panels, has been repainted but I can't find filler anywhere on the body.

X

When I bought the car it still had the steelies and wire hubcaps on it, I swapped them for a set of ten holes and just ran the car for the summer, putting on about 30,000 km and just enjoying it.

I started getting water on the passenger side floor in the fall, seam sealer had dried up around the windshield corners. I sealed it temporarily, pulled the carpet to prevent any further rusting.

The car is currently in storage for the winter and I am collecting parts to rebuild the car. Just bought a GT40 intake and have a low mileage short block I need to put together.

I was given a set of 1.25" lowering springs for the front of a Fox Mustang, will these work on the T Bird?

I will be posting updates on the car once I really dig into it.

Reply #1
Nice bird, love the color combo! These cars are rare EVERYWHERE.
Current: 1986 Thunderbird, 105k 3.8/C5, 2 tone  Midnight Wine/Medium Taupe, wing windows, wire wheel covers.

Former: 1985 Cougar GS 115k Oxford White/Regatta Blue, 5.0, full console, 14" 8 hole aluminum T-Bird rims, Edelbrock valve covers.

Reply #3
Thanks, it's not in too bad of shape, It sat outside a lot in the sun, so the seats and rear decklid are faded pretty badly, and the dashpad is pretty much disintegrated. Other than that the interior is clean. But needs the typical window channel rubbers

Car is loaded I think. Power everything, both power seats, premium audio, electronic climate control, full digital guage package, cornering lights etc..

Reply #4
Nice looking Bird. As far as the Stang lowering springs they may drop it too much. Most guys are running SN95 springs from newer GTs. Do a search and you will find plenty of info on it. Keep us posted with updates and pics.....Welcome .
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Reply #5
Will post some better pictures tomorrow.

Reply #6
Do the h.o. upgrade. Its fairly cheap and greatly increases power.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #7
Welcome to the group
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #8
Nice car and welcome to the group.  Winter storage a very good thing.

Go Fast the first time.  The tickets the same.
86 Thunderbird 5.0.  All original good weather driver. Tbird Reg #53035
86 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather driver.  Tbird Reg # 58555
87 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather daily driver.  Tbird Reg # 64647

Reply #9
Welcome. Being in the North I store my Thunderbird for the winter as well. Keeps the rust monster away.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #10
Welcome to the forum. Nice bird!
Ron
Speed is just a question of MONEY How fast can you go?    (M. M.)

Reply #11
Welcome!
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #12
Here are some betterish pictures, was dark out and she is dirty. As for engine upgrades, I have a non roller .030" over short block with rods and mains turned -.010". Short block has around 40,000 km on it, but cylinder walls and pistons look very good, going to re-ring it and new bearings, install better cam and upgrade springs, 1.7 rockers, currently looking for a deal on some heads, GT40 intake, headers and mustang H-pipe setup, and swap to MAF if I can find parts. Also plan to swap to 5 lug down the road, and a T5 swap someday.

As far as cosmetic mods I would like to lower it an inch or two, and swap to a 4 eye front clip, but they are near impossible to find. In the meantime I may sink a set of sealed beam headlights into the pockets for the original headlights and build some bezels.

Reply #13
Full console or does it have the consolette?
Current: 1986 Thunderbird, 105k 3.8/C5, 2 tone  Midnight Wine/Medium Taupe, wing windows, wire wheel covers.

Former: 1985 Cougar GS 115k Oxford White/Regatta Blue, 5.0, full console, 14" 8 hole aluminum T-Bird rims, Edelbrock valve covers.

Reply #14
The one that is attached to the driver's seat is the consolette right? That is what it has