Skip to main content
Topic: New to the forums - '88 Tbird 5.0 LX (Read 6112 times) previous topic - next topic

New to the forums - '88 Tbird 5.0 LX

Reply #15
If you have a non-roller block I would use a roller cam with link bar lifters. Getting flat tappet cams broken in correctly with modern oils is a  shoot.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #16
Quote from: ShaneNP123;441224
The one that is attached to the driver's seat is the consolette right? That is what it has
Yep, they suck, but what are you gonna do?  Sorry I couldn't see on my phone, now that I'm on my laptop, I can see you have the consolette.
Current: 1986 Thunderbird, 105k 3.8/C5, 2 tone  Midnight Wine/Medium Taupe, wing windows, wire wheel covers.

Former: 1985 Cougar GS 115k Oxford White/Regatta Blue, 5.0, full console, 14" 8 hole aluminum T-Bird rims, Edelbrock valve covers.

Reply #17
Quote from: thunderjet302;441228
Getting flat tappet cams broken in correctly with modern oils is a  shoot.
I've heard that too.
Current: 1986 Thunderbird, 105k 3.8/C5, 2 tone  Midnight Wine/Medium Taupe, wing windows, wire wheel covers.

Former: 1985 Cougar GS 115k Oxford White/Regatta Blue, 5.0, full console, 14" 8 hole aluminum T-Bird rims, Edelbrock valve covers.

Reply #18
Yeah, i don't really care for it, the switch positioning feels awkward when driving, if I ever complete the T5 swap I would build a center console.

As for breaking in a flat tappet cam, is it that bad? I run shell rotella diesel oil in all of my older rigs because of it's higher zinc levels. Broke in the 300/6 in my F150 with no problems. Could I expect any problems breaking in a new cam and lifters with this oil, a zinc additive and a good assembly lube?

Reply #19
As far as springs go, you can run Fox mustang front springs.  It would be better to find some springs out of sn95 or new edge Mustang though.  I run Steeda Fox Mustang springs in the front and cut down turbo coupe springs in the rear.  I do NOT recommend using fox Mustang springs in the rear, they will sag.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #20
I would leave the aero front end on the car as opposed to swapping it out with a 4-eye front end. The 4-eye front won't match up with the fender lines of the aero nose car. Plus your headlamps appear to be in good condition.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #21
The headlights aren't much, I cut the lenses from the housing, attempted rechroming them with that shiny tape used for ductwork and polished it, polished the lenses, and upgraded bulbs. Still, they are mediocre at best. Chances are I won't be able to locate a 4-eye front anyway, so I plan to install sealed beams in place and fab some bezels. I set some into the holes and I liked to look, plus I'll have the benefit of being able to use any of the aftermarket housings to replace the sealed beams. I think i'll be able to make them so they are removeable and I'll be able to swap back to the original lights if need be. I will do a write up on it when I get at it.

Reply #22
Picked up a set of GT40 heads, BBK shorty headers and H-pipe. Just waiting for that snow to melt...

Reply #23
Are you going to go to mass air? What cam are you thinking about, or maybe already have?

Cool car...they're a lot of fun, as you no doubt know. ;)
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #24
I would like to go MAF, guy I got the heads from also had an A9M ecm but was unsure if he wanted to sell, so I'm keeping my eyes open. No plans for a cam as of yet. I have a low mileage .030 over 1990 block but it came from a truck so it has the flat tappet cam. I am going to convert it over to roller and build on that.

I'm assuming gt40 heads, gt40 intake and headers would be too much for the original speed density ecm?

Reply #25
Those heads and intake should be fine with the Speed Density H.O ECM., if you use an H.O cam. You may like the H.O cam. It's actually a really good cam, especially with good heads and intake and a nice exhaust.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #26
Yup...I wouldn't make the swap to mass air unless you were going to run aftermarket heads or cam...as with stock cam and heads, or even GT40's and mass air, you'll notice a little less on off the line full throttle starts.

If you do want to go to mass air...I have an A9T (same as A9P) that we could do business with. It came out of my '89 Mustang convertible that I parted last fall and winter. I drove the car around for a few weeks, it needed a top, and I was fine with that, but one day I was looking into why the driver's door sagged really bad and found a lot of 1/4 rust up under the fender(s)...so apart she came.

I've got a couple of HO cams, one from that convertible's engine which I replaced with an aftermarket, and another from another HO Mustang engine.

Not trying to turn your thread into a FS thread, but if you're interested..let me know. Both cams are good, have pics of the one from the '89 engine, the other is from an '87 block, and it's IN the engine, just needs pulled out. I only left it in the block to keep it from getting banged up or dirty...block is sitting on it's butt-end and wrapped in plastic.

:)
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #27
I'm interested in the ECM. My bird is bone stock, so since I need to swap the ECM I may as well swap to an MAF one and have room for future mods. If you could get a shipping quote and your price PM me and let me know.

Reply #28
PM sent, Shane. :)
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #29
This car looks exactly like mine..  I have TC wheels though..
'88 Thunderbird LX
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Engine:  FR B303 cam, GT40P heads w/ Trickflow valve springs, Explorer upper/lower intake, SR cold air intake w/ MAF
Exhaust:  shorty headers, BBK O-R X-pipe, glasspacks w/ turn downs
Misc:  8.8 rear, Saleen SC replicas 17x8/17x10, Mach 1 front springs/SN95 rear springs
&
'74 F100 Custom 351W