Skip to main content
Topic: New to the forums - 1986 Cougar GS! (Read 5940 times) previous topic - next topic

New to the forums - 1986 Cougar GS!

Hey everyone! 

My name is Tommy and I'm from South Carolina!  I've been a lurker here for a little while, but have finally decided to introduce myself since I got my 1986 Cougar GS today!  I LOVE THIS CAR!  It's Canyon Red and it's in mint shape!  When I was a kid, our first family car was a dark blue 1983 Cougar GS.  Dad made the mistake of trading in the Cougar for a 1989 Grand Marquis.  Although the Grand Marquis was an awesome car in its own right, Mom and Dad regretted trading the Cougar.  Dad passed away in 2012 from bladder cancer, so it's very bittersweet that we found this one as I wish he could've seen it.  I take care of my Mom as she isn't doing well health-wise.  She loves it too!  A few months ago, the Grand Marquis was given to a neighbor of ours.  So, the family has come full circle with the return to the Cougar!  I've been dying for it to come and for me to be able to share the pics!  This came from Concord, NC.  Apparently an older couple owned it its entire life as it came with all original dospoogeentation.  Here's the best part... in addition to its original 5.0 V8, it has 16,253 actual miles on it!!!  Check out the pics!  I'm so grateful that I can share this moment with everyone since I can't share it with my Dad.  Thank you guys and gals!

XXX

Reply #1
Here's some more pics...

XXX

Reply #2
Welcome to the forum , that is a real nice cat !!!!
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily:
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

Reply #3
Great lookin Cougar. And as I have said before welcome to the addiction.
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Reply #4
And more...

XXX

Reply #5
Nice, very nice Tommy…………Welcome to the forum!
Ron
Speed is just a question of MONEY How fast can you go?    (M. M.)

Reply #6
Last ones, wrapping up with my favorite shot of all at the end!  :-D

XXX

Reply #7
Great ride and super clean with incredibly low mileage.  How does that happen?  Incredible.  Anyway, welcome.  Any plans for it or going to love it as it is?

Go Fast the first time.  The tickets the same.
86 Thunderbird 5.0.  All original good weather driver. Tbird Reg #53035
86 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather driver.  Tbird Reg # 58555
87 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather daily driver.  Tbird Reg # 64647

Reply #8
Welcome
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #9
Thank you for the welcome everyone!  I'm keeping this baby stock all the way, right down to the cassette player.  Actually made a mix tape for the first time in almost 20 years to play in it!  One thing I may do is put some wire caps on it to replace the caps that are already on it, but other than that, no changes.

Reply #10
Welcome!  Awesome car.  My car used to be a canyon red, V8, 86 GS.  Now it's something else...
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #11
Quote from: thetommyboy2k;440718
Thank you for the welcome everyone!  I'm keeping this baby stock all the way, right down to the cassette player.  Actually made a mix tape for the first time in almost 20 years to play in it!  One thing I may do is put some wire caps on it to replace the caps that are already on it, but other than that, no changes.

You could put a set of 10 hole wheels on it (Mustang style wheels). They would also look nice while retaining the factory look. Just my 2 cents. :2c:
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Reply #12
Welcome Aboard and thanks for sharing your pics.

Reply #13
I want it. Ill trade ya for mine, only 190,000 more miles.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #14
Great looking car !!! My first Thunderbird was that colr with the red interior. My eyes adjusted after a couple of years. LOL. Take good care of it.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..