Skip to main content
Topic: New to the forums - 1986 Cougar GS! (Read 5939 times) previous topic - next topic

New to the forums - 1986 Cougar GS!

Reply #15
Thanks again for the welcome and the comments!  It looks like I'm having an issue already, or a potential issue.  When I press on the accelerator, it feels like the pedal is hard to push, almost as if it wants to hesitate.  I haven't gotten it out on the road yet, I just noticed it while moving it in my driveway.  Help!

Reply #16
Quote from: thetommyboy2k;440718
Thank you for the welcome everyone!  I'm keeping this baby stock all the way, right down to the cassette player.  Actually made a mix tape for the first time in almost 20 years to play in it!  One thing I may do is put some wire caps on it to replace the caps that are already on it, but other than that, no changes.

Hi Tommy, and welcome to the madness.......great score, thats a super clean time capsule, treat her well.  BTW here is what i use with my iPhone/Ipod in my 87 Cougar XR-7 in place of audio tapes......XXX

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Reply #17
http://www.coolcats.net/help/pedal.html
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #18
Awesome car.  Welcome to the madness!!!
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

Reply #19
Great story and thank you for sharing.  Welcome to this site, as you know it is a good one.

That is a great looking car.  I love a low mileage 86 5.0 with vent windows.  Very awesome car.  May I put a bug in your ear, some 10 hole wheels would really set that car off.  You could keep the old wheels and 14" tires to bolt on if wanted later.

Anyway, truly beautiful car.
Mike

Reply #20
Awesome car. Great find.

Just bolt on a set of 10 hole wheels with Cougar center caps and cruise.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #21
I'd like to change the caps on it, but money is pretty scarce for the time being.  I wish someone had some '86 Cougar wire spoke caps to put on it.

Reply #22
Got another question for everyone... Does anyone know how to snap the trim rings back in place on these caps?  Someone didn't know how to put them on and they're only on halfway on all four wheels.  Can't find anything on the web about how to snap them back in place.  Any help would be mucho-appreciated!  :-)

Reply #23
I dont know anything about the polycast 14" wheel.  If you are referring to the center cap of the wheel, I just use my fist or palm to hit the edge in ?????  I may be missing something about them though..............

Are there other stock center caps to fit those wheels?  I say 10 hole it.
Mike

Reply #24
Quote from: mcb82gt;440832
I dont know anything about the polycast 14" wheel.  If you are referring to the center cap of the wheel, I just use my fist or palm to hit the edge in ?????  I may be missing something about them though..............

Are there other stock center caps to fit those wheels?  I say 10 hole it.

No, not the center cap.  There's some chrome rings, I think they're called trim rings or beauty rings that go along the outer part of the caps.

Reply #25
Beautiful cat!
If you decide to go with ten-hole wheels (I would) and need Cougar center caps, just drop me a line. I have a spare set I'll send you for the cost of postage.

Reply #26
congrats!  great looking car.  i had one the same color and been searching for years one just like it!
Current: 2004 Chevy Monte Carlo LS (Aug 04 - current)
Previous: 1993 Thunderbird LX (Jan 04 - Aug 04)
Before that: 1986 Cougar GS (Nov 85-Nov 2002)
i am looking for another cougar/tbird, any leads on long island, let me know

Reply #27
Congrats and welcome to the forum! That is one sharp Cat, cherish it as you know by now all of us would or are.....:D

Reply #29
Quote from: thetommyboy2k;440764
Got another question for everyone... Does anyone know how to snap the trim rings back in place on these caps?  Someone didn't know how to put them on and they're only on halfway on all four wheels.  Can't find anything on the web about how to snap them back in place.  Any help would be mucho-appreciated!  :-)
Only pry them off or tap them back on at the clip points. Otherwise you may kink them. A rubber hammer is good for putting wheelcovers and trim rings on.