Skip to main content
Topic: My new car (Read 1127 times) previous topic - next topic

My new car

hey everyone
i havent been on here in a while.
just got a sweet deal on a car... free...
its a 1991 geo prism 4 door... sucks balls but its got a stick so it'll get me from A to B and hopefully back without a towtruck...
141k miles... dented like a SOB and people wrote stuff with marker all on the interior but still...free!
it's gonna be my transportation till i save for my 5 speed turbocoupe...($400 saved so far)
i have a problem though... the kid drove it here and said he had to jump start it cause the battery died... what would make it die?
also i had it hooked up to a neibors vehicle for a few minutes and it wouldnt even turnover... the interior lights all work but no clicking... could the alternator and starter be bad? idk... i gotta get these problems sorted out asap so i can put it on the road... sry this isnt a thunderbird post... my bird was saddly dragged off to the bone yard and i still havent gotten a replacement...any help is appreciated...

Re: My new car

Reply #1
If it's clicking, that means there is not enough juice to start it up.  No clicking, is out of my knowledge.
I'm guessing the battery is long dead.  To be sure, you can bring it to a garage and they'll test it for free.  You then should know if it's either the battery or the alternator, and possibly if is the starter.  (Bad battery = need a new one, charged battery = possibly the starter?, good but discharged battery = alternator)

Reply #2
if the battery is good and charged properly, then most likely culprit is the starter

Reply #3
hey everyone
i talked to the person i bought the car and heres what he told me...
tap the starter with a wrench! he said the starter started to act funny right after the 30 day warrenty was up...so he has to tap it with a wrench for it to work... but it starts right up after... it seems fine and i think it'll work till i get another one... but thats screwed up! lol
im spray painting it black this weekend and dying the interior black also... it had no shift  so i drilled out a golf ball... thats the highlight of the car... my friend is wiring a stereo in it next week so yay...

Reply #4
its the starter solonoid. You should be able to change them out with a new starter. On ford cars they are seperate.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #5
If you hit the starter and not the selenoid, its the starter.... probably the Bendix stick or something...
starter must be the problem...

Reply #6
is that really y i have to tap the starter with a wrench? ... i havent had any problems with it since i got it...starts right up now that i jumped it and rode it up and down my street a few times...(dead end street)
ill probably have to replace the clutch kinda soon... any idea of how much that could run me? i want to look for a junk yard in my area to get new doors and fenders for cheep... cause this is one embearising car to be driving...lol

Reply #7
i have had a few starters (or selenoids) that needed the large screw driver technique... one was a 80 f150, fun stuff.