Skip to main content
Topic: Northern 88 Midnight Blue Bird (Read 6470 times) previous topic - next topic

Northern 88 Midnight Blue Bird

Hello

After 15 years of blood, sweat, tears and lots of $$. I am finished my project. What I trip it's been. Many times I have wanted to set it over a cliff, sell it, trash it but I couldn't let it go.

I am a patient man. Every year I would complete 1 project - store it - pull it back out and the next year begin another project. This car has been through a lot just like myself. Many people told me to get rid of it - your wasting your time and money. They don't say that now. I love my 88 T-Bird. Wow what an Obsession. I learned a pile of stuff re building it. I learned a lot from this website also. I have been trolling here for about 8 years. Happy to be a Thunderbird Owner.
XXX
ROCK ON

Reply #1
Beautiful ride!!! Nice work too :D You could've had a lot worse obsessions. A lot of wives just don't understand that. I know mind don't.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #3
Good work!  Most people just don't "get" these cars.  They just see them as old '80s cars with no value.  It takes someone with real passion to stick to their guns and see the project through when your not working on something mainstream like a muscle car, etc.

You should be proud!
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #4
Nice ride needs to be droppet a little bit to really make it stand out. great job!! Have a good day guys
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #5
Nice looking.  Loving the color coded grill.

Go Fast the first time.  The tickets the same.
86 Thunderbird 5.0.  All original good weather driver. Tbird Reg #53035
86 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather driver.  Tbird Reg # 58555
87 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather daily driver.  Tbird Reg # 64647

Reply #6
I long for the day my '88 looks this great.  You did a fantastic job!
T-Birds can't fly.  Ask how I know...

Reply #7
Looking good :)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #8
Looking good! Give us more pictures!

Reply #9
I have thought of dropping the suspension down many times. That's a big job to do dropping the suspension. I may do that next year it would look really nice to bring down about 2.5 inches I think. Other than that I have no intention of tinting the windows ever. i will post 3 more pics tonight.

Reply #10
Actually, these cars sit high from the factory. I dropped mine about 2 inches all around by simply installing 1999 Mustang springs into it, then an alignment afterwards. What do you mean by "custom motor?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #11
I edited my last post thinking that the reasoning my car was so high up is that somebody had to add leafs to it to hold the Engine that was dropped into it. It looks like the Ford 5.0 V8 but I had guys tell me that it looks modified like that ain't the original engine that came with the car off the line. I'm not sure anyways. Don't matter it runs fantastic but it's a pig on gas. I wonder how much a drop down job using springs as such you suggest would cost? I hear it's a lot of work and dangerous.

Reply #12
I would bet all of the springs could be changed in two hours if you take your time. Not a big deal. Post up a pic of the engine bay. No leafs can be added as the car has a 4 link rear and struts up front. It is a good looking Bird you have.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #13
The Interior is very clean - typical wear and tear - the dash is cracked from the sun but I can live with that. I removed the centre console/arm rest thing a ma jig. I cut it off from the driver's seat with a torch - all I have left are the power window controls. I hate all that automated  like mirrors , seats etc . more things to breakdown in the future. I also removed the power seat unit from under the driver seat cause it was seized and I converted the seat to manual. I really wish the windows were all manual. I'm really wary of all the power features. Years and years ago I had a fire under the passenger seat in the harness. Last year I had that rewired and redone. There really is nothing I have not redone in this car with the exception of the Engine. Next year or maybe this fall I will drop it down. I'm sure I will. Before the car was finished people would only shake their heads now they turn em. :-) The other car is a brand new 2014 Honda Civic I bought last week. I have driven it once LOL - that'll be my winter car. :-)

ROCK ON

XXX

Reply #14
more pics !!!!!!!!!!XXX