Skip to main content
Topic: lowering springs (Read 3850 times) previous topic - next topic

lowering springs

Anyone know what mustang springs will fit my t bird 1986 5.0?

lowering springs

Reply #1
I used '99 Mustang springs in mine. My Bird is an '88, but would work the same in your car.

'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

lowering springs

Reply #2
I also have 99 mustang springs up front and moog cargo coils in the back for the 83-86 picture.

84 TurboCoupe with 302 .010 over - 9.8 : 1 Forged Pistons - Edlebrock Goodies:  Aluminum Heads #6037, Intake #3821, 65mm TBI/EGR #3824/3827, Camshaft #3722 -  Interactive System & Technologies Mass Air with 24# Injectors - A9L - 3g Alternator - BBK shorties, Cat Converter H-pipe, Magniflow lers - World Class T5 1352-169 (1986, V8, WC, 3.15 3.35 1.93 1.29 1.00 0.68) OEM Clutch Cable - 7.5 Trac Lock with 3.08 and slapper bars from 82 Mustang.

lowering springs

Reply #3
thanks everyone

lowering springs

Reply #4
I have fox mustang Steeda springs in the front and turbo coupe Moog replacement springs with a couple coils cut off in the rear.  Also have Fox Mustang shocks/struts with Chuck W shock adapters in the rear and Fox Mustang spindles up front.

'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

lowering springs

Reply #5
86 Mustang  GT springs here.
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

lowering springs

Reply #6
I got these ones:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/forac.html

It dropped the ass a bit more than I liked. Hoping to get CHE control arms with the threaded spring perches
1986 Ford Thunderchicken, 5.0 AOD w/ Shift kit,  354,XXX miles. 1-Family owned. Original engine+trans.
8.8 Disc Rear w/ 3.73 Posi. CHE Control Arms. '04 Cobra brakes all around. 2000 Cobra R wheels. Tubular front LCA's. MM Steering Shaft. Unlocked Speedo, Lowering springs, Eibach sway bars front and rear. Ram air intake.

lowering springs

Reply #7
What is wrong with cutting the original springs and setting the height to your liking. Dont get me wrong i change many springs in my career but cutting is a viable option. have a great night guys
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

lowering springs

Reply #8
^^Cutting springs will lower the car. But with lowering springs you can get stiffer springs. You can get progressive spring rates or constant spring rates. I noticed that my car dives A LOT LESS under braking with stiffer springs
1986 Ford Thunderchicken, 5.0 AOD w/ Shift kit,  354,XXX miles. 1-Family owned. Original engine+trans.
8.8 Disc Rear w/ 3.73 Posi. CHE Control Arms. '04 Cobra brakes all around. 2000 Cobra R wheels. Tubular front LCA's. MM Steering Shaft. Unlocked Speedo, Lowering springs, Eibach sway bars front and rear. Ram air intake.

lowering springs

Reply #10
Quote from: kylesburrell;436488
^^Cutting springs will lower the car. But with lowering springs you can get stiffer springs. You can get progressive spring rates or constant spring rates. I noticed that my car dives A LOT LESS under braking with stiffer springs

But cutting the springs does change the spring rate as it is a function of coil diameter, number of coils, and thickness of the steel used to make the coil.

**SpringRate = (Thickness)/(nCoils*CoilDiameter)

So with all things being equal reducing nCoils increases ones spring rate, so yippee!

**This functional relation was obtained from the internet @ http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/coilspringrate.shtml and is being posted onto the internet by someone someone on the internet no warranty written, expressed, or implied.  All risk is assumed on the part of the user.
1987 Tbird 5.0 swap, go fast mods coming soon....

lowering springs

Reply #11
Removing effective coils  increases a springs  rate as explained above. Cutting springs is totally acceptable and done all the time. have a great evening guys
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

lowering springs

Reply #12
I got sn-95 something or another springs um gonna drop in the bird. i might go with some lowered rear springs as i plan on che adjustable arms later on.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

lowering springs

Reply #13
http://www.bluecoilspring.com/rate.htm

Load rating is just as important....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!