Skip to main content
Topic: new best city mpg (Read 6027 times) previous topic - next topic

new best city mpg

Reply #30
I've never had a full digital clusters but I know tripminders do get fuel data directly from the eec.  I would imagine the full digital cluster is the same.
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

new best city mpg

Reply #31
Well, I've been wrong before, heh. I'd be interested to see the schematic if anybody has one handy.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

new best city mpg

Reply #32
http://www.coolcats.net/modifying/tripminder.html

i don't see why the trip computer would use it and digi dash wouldn't
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

new best city mpg

Reply #33
http://www.coolcats.net/general/8588digital.html

pin out for digital dash shows fuel flow on blue/light pink wire. same color as trip computer.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

new best city mpg

Reply #34
Well, I'll be danged. Learn something new every day.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

new best city mpg

Reply #35
Got my trip computer thrown in last night. i kept getting well over 160mpg. eventually i soldered a jumper between pins 7$9 and ended up with an accurate reading. its maiden voyage of 7 miles freeway and 20 miles city pulled up 22.8 mpg. id be willing to bet i can consistantly get 20mpg city out of it.

freeway numbers were no good. lots of traffic, stop and go, construction and what not today. I'm gonna finish throwing on the trim panels and clean it out. i might try a freeway run today or tonight.depending on how my easter weekend plans pan out.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

new best city mpg

Reply #36
Finally got a few full tanks through the beast. lver the last tank i "averaged 22.1mpg by the trip computer at 25 mph.

filling it with gas, and using odometer, 302 miles, 11.6 gallons, which should be right at 26mpg
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

new best city mpg

Reply #37
I seem to average 18-20, and that is highway or city. With my 3.8. So you're doing pretty good.
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

new best city mpg

Reply #38
I've decided the gas tank lies. i ran it well below empty and could only get 12 gallons in it, completely filling the filler neck.

i do have either something different going on since i filled up last time though. the best i ever got my trip to read average was 22.1 mpg. now i have a new best average according to the trip computer.

over 58.6 mile round trip. i had it reading up to 28.9mpg average but i took the long way home that had a bunch of stop lights and hills.

not sure if they finally switched to a summer grade of gas, some sensor randomly started working again, or if its because i filled up at a different gas station then i normally do, but I'm guessing a good 15-20% increase.

around 55mph it seems to be missing a bit. i bumped the timing up to about 16° last month. I'm thinking i need to try dropping it.back down to 10-12° because although i.can maintain speed and driveability seems fine, no pinging or anything, at 55-62mph it stays at 19-22mpg on the instant economy reading maintaining speed on flat level road. i get it up above 62 mph at it shoots up to 31 or so.

I'm also tempted to put my 275/60's back on, as it gave me an almost 10% od bonus (calculators said 15%, But speedo is only off by 10% with the bigger tires).

All and all, i am happy with the way its been running for the last few days, and I'm hoping with a bit lower timing ill be able to match my other cars at 30mpg average over an entire tank. obviously this takes careful driving, but i try really hard to maintain withing 5mph of. the speed limit, generally cruising right at, or over the speed limit.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

new best city mpg

Reply #39
Been playing with things a bit. went back to stock timing, didn't change anything. harbor freight timing light ped out on me. don't buy the cheapest one. can't even see the flash during.daylight.

i have a larger "sweet spot" where i can maintain or slightly accelerate from 60-70mph. i might be able to do better at 75-80mph speeds (new rural highway speed limits). Haven't gone above 60mph obviously. Still a "deadspot from 55-60mph where it almost seems to bog down. i can't get between 55-60mpg without the trip computer reading 22mpg or lower.

on my drive home, i have gotten the trip computer to read at 35mpg over a full 25 mile drive back. I'm not a morning person and keep having to rush a bit to get to work on time, so my morning drives have all dropped it back down from 25-30ish.

i maintain that on a good long freeway drive, 35mpg is possible at 60-65mph. i am taking a trip about 45 miles each way. i am taking a trip this weekend that should let me verify with an actual gas fillup.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

new best city mpg

Reply #40
This thread is now dead.

I'm now driving a 2011 fiesta. I'm getting 40mpg city and 50+ mpg freeway.

maybe ill start making a car fast now and screw mileage.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.