Skip to main content
Topic: 1988 Mustang GT stock headers - tube diameter ? (Read 3983 times) previous topic - next topic

1988 Mustang GT stock headers - tube diameter ?

Reply #15
Long tubes are also worth the extra hassle. I have heard from others that these ones fit decent and the price is right, considering that they come with the proper h pipe. Once you have these on you can move forward not having to jerk around replacing what you install now.

http://www.amazon.com/OBX-Full-Header-86-93-Mustang/dp/B0053TUZWQ
1985 Turbo Coupe
1988 Thunderbird Sport
1996 F150

Reply #16
Quote from: Pro SC;431757
Long tubes are also worth the extra hassle. I have heard from others that these ones fit decent and the price is right, considering that they come with the proper h pipe. Once you have these on you can move forward not having to jerk around replacing what you install now.

http://www.amazon.com/OBX-Full-Header-86-93-Mustang/dp/B0053TUZWQ

I believe he has a column shift (like me) and those won't fit. If they did my Thunderbird would have long tubes. But he should be able to run any Mustang shorty header and clear the column shift linkage. The factory Mustang ones will clear the best.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #17
Quote from: thunderjet302;431764
he should be able to run any Mustang shorty header and clear the column shift linkage. The factory Mustang ones will clear the best.

The biggest problem with the aftermarket shorty headers is clearing the motor mount. I destroyed an expensive header trying to make it fit. I don't know if I need a different brand of header (mine was Motorcraft), or if Chucks mounts will fix the problem.

Reply #18
Quote from: thunderjet302;431764
I believe he has a column shift (like me) and those won't fit. If they did my Thunderbird would have long tubes. But he should be able to run any Mustang shorty header and clear the column shift linkage. The factory Mustang ones will clear the best.

I never even considered that. I have not had a column mounted shift vehicle for so long. Even my f150 is a floor mount. Too bad as that is a really good price for long tubes and with an h pipe all stainless too. I know it is Chinese but they sell alot of headers and pipes for many late models so they seem to have something going for them. I know he seemed to be worried about losing low end torque with a 1-5/8" primary tube but the long tube header would make up for that and also be good if he ever gets some half decent heads in the future and starts to make some power. Just thought I would throw that in as it really helped my vert running LT;s when I did it way back in the day. Well there is always aftermarket shifters... lol :-)
1985 Turbo Coupe
1988 Thunderbird Sport
1996 F150

Reply #19
Only issue I have with the BBK 1515 is a slight rub on the steering when in reverse, plenty of clearance around the stock mounts, dunno about Chuck's(will find out when I drop the 331 in place)... I have the factory floor shifter so can't comment on that...

Reply #20
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;431813
Only issue I have with the BBK 1515 is a slight rub on the steering when in reverse, plenty of clearance around the stock mounts, dunno about Chuck's(will find out when I drop the 331 in place)... I have the factory floor shifter so can't comment on that...

Thank you. I have not got any response from Vinnie. I went back to look at his sig. I have my account set up so that I don't see the sig without looking at the person's profile. According to his sig, he has BBK. Not sure which BBK. BBK 1515 seems to be the cheapest BBK has to offer and a slight rub on the steering while in reverse would be just a minor issue that may be able to be resolved. Unless I hear of some without that rub issue, I will order these. They are unequal length so I assume they will not get in the way of the column shift. If it does, I am not afraid to change to floor shift. That may happen anyhow.

Reply #21
Quote from: Chrome;431750
Which headers do you have? Is your motor mounts stock, or Chucks?

sorry, just saw this. I have BBK unequal length shorty headers, and ChuckW mounts. I have had the headers with the stock motor mounts and no issues at all.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #22
Quote from: vinnietbird;431833
sorry, just saw this. I have BBK unequal length shorty headers, and ChuckW mounts. I have had the headers with the stock motor mounts and no issues at all.

No problem Vinnie. Those would most likely not clear the shift linkage. I do like the fact that they will give it a little more bottom end. Perhaps it is time to convert to floor shift. I wonder if the OP came to a decision?