Skip to main content
Topic: 1988 Mustang GT stock headers - tube diameter ? (Read 3984 times) previous topic - next topic

1988 Mustang GT stock headers - tube diameter ?

Can anyone tell me the tube diameter of the 1988 GT stock headers ? I have a chance to pick up a pair dirt cheap on Ebay for my stock 5.0 (1988 thunderbird) and I read not to go any larger than 1.5" header tubes, and 2 1/4" inch pipes.

Thanks for any help or info:bowdown:

Reply #1
It won't hurt anything to go bigger in my opinion.

i have a set in the garage ill mesure with pictures in the morning.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
The stock Mustang headers are fine.  Put them on and enjoy.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #3
Im looking to get cheap exhaust parts since the aftermarket stuff is pricey. The Hedman 88380 1.5" headers fit my stock 5.0 but they are $176.....o/r h pipes and tails are expensive too. If anyone can hook me up that would be very appreciated :)

Reply #4
Thanks!

Quote from: Haystack;431676
It won't hurt anything to go bigger in my opinion.

i have a set in the garage ill mesure with pictures in the morning.

Reply #5
You can order tail pipe for a stang for $49 each, mid pipes are $16 and lers around $30. Get on a mustang forum and find a stock h pipe. this should give you most of everything you need for less then $200 for 2 1/4" exhaust
stock headers can be had for free-$20. Classifieds are your freind here.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #6
Stock HO headers will do just fine at your level.  You'll be able to hook up to that H-pipe you picked up a while back, without burning a hole in your pocket.  Just remember that if you haven't picked any up yet, to get some oxygen sensors for the same, (or harness extensions) because as I'm sure you're aware, H-pipe and headers will move your o2 sensors down into the h-pipe, and the HO headers won't have a port for them anymore.

Reply #7
Get those stock HO headers and don't look back. The clearance issues with the aftermarket ones is a problem you don't want to deal with.

Reply #8
Do you know the tube diameter of the stock HO headers ? Im trying to stay around 1.5"

Reply #9
Once again, Gary, you're thinking too much.  What we're trying to tell you is that at your level and with the equipment you're working with, it doesn't matter.  1 5/8" would probably be too much, but even then with an otherwise stock 5.0 SO, it doesn't matter.  If your neurosis absolutely requires a tube diameter it's 1 3/8.  Stock HO headers are perfect for a stock SO, THAT'S what matters.  And incidentally, that's exactly what we've been trying to tell you.  Your E6 heads are the limiting factor here, not the exhaust.

Reply #11
Are there any dyno tests that show anything larger than 1.5 & 2.25 hurts performance on a SO???

Even if something larger isn't optimum it'll be far better than the asthmatic stock system, plus you'll have room to grow if you decide to HO without exhaust system limitations... The stock HO headers are 1.5" but are far from optimum, there's 20 Hp to be had with 1 5/8 headers & 2.5" exhaust(yes MM&FF verified this statement)...

Reply #12
Everytime i hear larger exhaust hurts bottom end i laugh on the inside. even if it did a bit, a stock h.o. has 300ftlbs. if you lost 5-10 you would never notice.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #13
I used stock Stang headers at first because I had access to them and they were cheap with my SO engine. I then went to 1 5/8 headers on my SO engine and a good dual exhaust. NEVER had an issue at all. Get the bloody aftermarket headers and H-Pipe you have access to and install them, and call it a day. You are WAY over thinking it. Buy them and be done. My aftermarket 1 5/8 headers never had a clearance issue with good motor mounts. Just jump in and do it.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #14
Quote from: vinnietbird;431716
I used stock Stang headers at first because I had access to them and they were cheap with my SO engine. I then went to 1 5/8 headers on my SO engine and a good dual exhaust. NEVER had an issue at all. Get the bloody aftermarket headers and H-Pipe you have access to and install them, and call it a day. You are WAY over thinking it. Buy them and be done. My aftermarket 1 5/8 headers never had a clearance issue with good motor mounts. Just jump in and do it.

Which headers do you have? Is your motor mounts stock, or Chucks?