Skip to main content
Topic: ADVICE BADLY NEEDED 1983 Thunderbird Heritage Update (Read 7755 times) previous topic - next topic

ADVICE BADLY NEEDED 1983 Thunderbird Heritage Update

Reply #30
*sigh* This forum was so much more enjoyable for the recent 15 minutes or so Tom was behaving himself...

Not going to argue with you, Tom, as it'd be more productive (and entertaining) to argue with a mule. This post will be my last on the subject.

You said yourself that spring rains sufficiently wash the salt off, and yet this particular car has to be soda blasted?

News flash, Tom: Salt is water soluble. That's how water becomes salt water. It's basic chemistry. No acid dipping is required.

Now, as I said, this applies ONLY to the body. Any moving parts (including the pedal pivots you mentioned) will need to be disassembled and cleaned, or better yet, replaced. This applies to all electronics as well. Only the steel shell is salvageable. I said this in my first post, had you bothered reading it before going off on one of your "I'm TOM REZNO, dammit, and I KNOW EVERYTHING" tangents. Thank you, BTW, for not posting pics of some bazillion dollar car that has nothing to do with this thread, as is your usual MO (though you couldn't help but mention that GNX, I guess the world owes you for that). 

As for insurance companies writing cars off after salt water submersion: Once more, I must drive it into your head that I was referring ONLY TO THE BODY!!! Of course insurance companies will write a car off then they have to replace all of the mechanical and electronic bits. Even if the damaged components could be replaced cheaply enough the insurance company would not want to take on the liability of putting that car back on the road. I've seen brand new cars written off because kids broke into the compound they were stored in and walked on the roofs, denting them. The insurance company wrote the cars off because they didn't want to bet on the structural integrity of those slightly dented roofs. I also saw a year old Trans Am GTA written off because somebody broke into it and stole the seats, and cut the seat belts during the theft. Easy repair, but the insurance company didn't want the liability because of the seat belt damage.

A flood car is written off for economic and legal reasons, NOT BECAUSE THE BODY WAS DESTROYED. It's because of the cost of replacing everything attached to that body. Unless the car spent the last six months under water THE BODY WAS NOT DESTROYED.

You got that? Because I typed it as slowly as I could...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #32
As things usually do when somebody dares to contradict Tom.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #33
Well, I hope spring gets here soon for all of our sakes...  This stubborn weather creeps into our posts. ;)

Reply #35
If ya need me to track anything down from that 84 TC thats in the yard by me, let me know. The same yard also has a 5.0 CFI(if memory serves me right thats the motor!!) 4 eye cougar in it.

Reply #36
I've seen car immersed in the great salt lake (about 3 times the salt content of the ocean) pulled out and driven home. I've also seen people drag old car shells out of it and rebuild them. one was supposedly under for 40 years. there were holes, but much more intact then I would suspect.

My money still says it will fire up and run, maybe even drive without any major repairs. change fluids,pull spark plugs, crank it over and then fire it up and see what you are actually dealing with.

Wish you the best.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #37
[quote=
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #38
Quote from: TOM Renzo;431155
a fast calculation of cost would dictate someone is going to have a hefty bill.

Dave isn't some shclub with a Kodak disposable camera. 
Wedding and event photography is his bread and butter and to be honest takes time, patience, understanding and a whole lot of talent.  I'm not talking just behind the camera either.  A top notch photographer these days in the northeast can EASILY command more than what the normal high end full repaint costs.  I understand that this is a special case, believe me I've seen first hand some of the cars destroyed by Sandy that made their way out to CoPart via a flatbed.  At one point they actually had a staging area for them in a humongous field.

It will be done right.  Dave will be happy.  At the end of the day THIS is what matters. 

Quote from: MY83T;431088
Its my first car, my car that my wife and i grew up in, the car i sowed my glorious days of a mis-spent youth in.  It will never leave my family, therefore the value to cost thing is basically irrellevant. Some things are not about money. Traditions, and memories are huge parts of this life we live

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
[/B][/SIZE]
THIS
[/B]

A thousand times THIS.  It basically sums up why I've kept mine.  Mine wasn't the FIRST car I drove, but it WAS the first one with the title in my name.  Tons of good memories in mine.  And when I dirve it on a nice day and everything's clicking there is a contentment that I feel behind the wheel of no other vehicle.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #39
This is all i have to say on the matter.......

X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5cneCgNA9U

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Reply #40
Washing
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

Reply #41
Quote from: TOM Renzo;431168
Washing the soda blasted metal with holdtight 102 will give you about a five day window before paint.

Good luck on your project. And thanks TOM.

Thanks Tom, i know you mean well.  Please understand, aside from the back and forth about right or wrong about the soda blasting etc, this is a emotional decision and not a intellectual or financial one.  The opportunity has presented itself for me to do this right, and to be honest, had it not, i would be stripping and dumping this car.  It was a blessing my friend had this event coming up so i could do this in this way.  He is a super talented body man, old school and knows his stuff backwards and forwards.  I will take tons of pics and keep you all posted on the progress once she is carted away.

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Reply #42
Quote from: Drewstang;431139
Well, this escalated quickly.

Welcome to the "Tom Renzo show" once again !!!
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily:
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

Reply #43
Yes

Reply #44
Xxx