Skip to main content
Topic: ADVICE BADLY NEEDED 1983 Thunderbird Heritage Update (Read 7758 times) previous topic - next topic

ADVICE BADLY NEEDED 1983 Thunderbird Heritage Update

Ok guys, most of you know the story behind my flooded 83 Heritage.  I finally summoned the courage to pull the tarp and do a initial assessment of damage outside of the obvious cosmetic/interior/wiring stuff i knew i would be facing.  I wanted to try and turn the motor to see if she would crank.  I pulled the air cleaner lid, and there was salt residue around the carb bowl.  I did not realize water had risen that high.  I checked the oil and there was water beading on the dipstick pretty far up, so i know there is water in the pan.  I know this does not bode well for me.  I know there are some obvious answers here:

1. Pull what i can off the car and s the rest.  (I know this is logical, but i have much emotion invested in this car)

2. Tear down/rebuild/replace the motor    (Money i don't have to spend right now)

So i really want to keep the car, and i understand that i will be putting way more in time and money than the car is worth.

What can i do short term to try and save the motor, and possibly to get running? 

1. drop pan and change out oil.

2. Clean carb and bowl

3. check plugs for rust to see where and how the water penetrated

Beyond that what else can i do minimize the damage, or enhance my chances for getting her to run again without a major teardown?
Thanks to all in advance for your thoughts on this.

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Reply #1
Well, I would suggest changing the oil and getting it running ASAP, but I thought the V6 was the only one with a carb? I thought the 5.0 Had CFI on it. if that's the case, there are a lot of stupid electronics on there to get damaged. Also, if the water made it that high, how much made it into the fuel tank?

If attempting to get it running, pull the spark plugs and make sure you aren't going to hydro lock it when you turn it over.
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Reply #2
well, its CFI, so its the venturis/bowl i am speaking of.  i am more concerned about the internals, to try to avoid a teardown, rebuild.  all the connectors etc, although a royal pain, i can handle bit by bit.  Fuel tank, totally unknown, but i think i might be safe there.  even if the water made it to the tank spout, between the cap and metal door, being in place, i might be ok, and usually kept the tank more than 3/4 full at any given time.

Reply #3
If it were me, I'd definitely drop the fuel tank and drain it, along with the fuel lines and change out the filter.
But otherwise, with an oil change and some cleaning up, my gut says that you might be just fine.
It's worth a shot anyway.

Reply #4
Drain and change the fuel and filter, oil and filter, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, brake fluid, and coolant. If water got that high it has got to be in all the fluids under the hood of the car. Hopefully it did not cause any internal rusting in the engine.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #5
Quote from: thunderjet302;430904
Drain and change the fuel and filter, oil and filter, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, brake fluid, and coolant. If water got that high it has got to be in all the fluids under the hood of the car. Hopefully it did not cause any internal rusting in the engine.

Don't forget the rear.  Did the carpet in this car get wet in any way?  I know you're saying it wasn't submerged, but even if it sat with an inch or two for an extended period of time it will be worth swapping it out.  The car's been open to the elements so right now it's most likely not noticeable.  Replacing the glass coupled with a warm day with sun WILL cause any bad odors to rear their heads.

Post up some pictures of the undercarriage, interior, and under the hood.  It may help remind us of trouble spots you need to be mindful of.

And Dave, for safety's sake do not forget:  Salt water is bad, but there are worse things. 
I don't want to gross you out, but I'm sure you're aware of what kind of system lurks under the street and/or the yards of Long Island.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #6
Quote from: V8Demon;430906
Don't forget the rear.  Did the carpet in this car get wet in any way?  I know you're saying it wasn't submerged, but even if it sat with an inch or two for an extended period of time it will be worth swapping it out.  The car's been open to the elements so right now it's most likely not noticeable.  Replacing the glass coupled with a warm day with sun WILL cause any bad odors to rear their heads.

Post up some pictures of the undercarriage, interior, and under the hood.  It may help remind us of trouble spots you need to be mindful of.

And Dave, for safety's sake do not forget:  Salt water is bad, but there are worse things. 
I don't want to gross you out, but I'm sure you're aware of what kind of system lurks under the street and/or the yards of Long Island.

Paulie,
there was water in this car all the way up to radio, and outside up to the Air cleaner.  It was submerged.  The back window is busted out, and i have a tarp in place, but its far from airtight, so the car is completely dry, and no mold or odors at least.  I have to go over every inch of this vehicle before i can ever safely drive it anywhere.  Common sense says strip what i can save and dump the rest.  This is not a logical decision on my part, but your first car as long as its in your possession is very special.

Reply #7
Lots of work if its going to be saved

Reply #8
I wouldn't worry about the motor. oil gets water in it when it sits. I mean change it of course, but I doubt it killed the motor.

Drain the gas see what it looks like, throw another few gallons in it with a new fuel filter and see if it fires up. id also be worried about floor pans. I think I would pull the carpet just to see what it looks like under there, if it starts.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #9
Change all the fluids from fuel to windshield washer fluid. That salt water does some pretty nasty stuff. Water shouldnt hurt the engine to much. If you want to make extra sure pull the plugs and put a little oil down in the cylinders so the upper end of the engine is lubricated a little bit. Get some cheapo oil and mix half a quart with about half a quart of kerosene to clean the internals. Run it for about half an hour (if she starts which i see no real trouble there) then change the oil and you should be good

Reply #10
If this was a newer car with full coverage on it....the insurance company would totally it....just saying.

All the above advise seems good to revive the driveline.
But the electronics are probably done if a battery was charged and in the tbird when she got wet.

If u love it then save it....if not...maybe way more effort then its worth.

Travis

Reply #11
If this was a newer car with full coverage on it....the insurance company would totally it....just saying.

All the above advise seems good to revive the driveline.
But the electronics are probably done if a battery was charged and in the tbird when she got wet.

Travis

Reply #12
Quote from: turbotrav;430972

Travis

Travis, that is THE question here........

Reply #13
keep the car dude,  take it from someone that got rid of one before, you would regret it.

Put it aside till you find the time and or money to do it how you want.  Hell I've had my cougar on the side burner for 5 years now,  and it will stay there till it's time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #14
Quote from: Bob;430988
keep the car dude,  take it from someone that got rid of one before, you would regret it.

Put it aside till you find the time and or money to do it how you want.  Hell I've had my cougar on the side burner for 5 years now,  and it will stay there till it's time.

DING DING DING.......WE HAVE A WINNER!  Thanks Bob, thats the idea, and the cheerleading i need about now.  Appreciate it.